Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those who switched from a muscle, sports, or performance car to a Tesla...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...what are your thoughts on the switch? Is the Tesla as fun to drive as your old car? I'm going to be getting my first car in two years and I'm currently deciding between a Model 3 and a brand new Camaro SS. I want a car that is very fun to drive and has very good handling and performance. I realize that the Model 3 might not perform as well as the Camaro, but I know that electric cars are the future. I'm very interested in instantaneous acceleration, not having to pay for gas, doing what's best for the environment, and all the cool tech features of a Tesla.

However, I really don't want to end up getting the Tesla and think to myself, "Wow, this is way too boring for me." I'm very passionate about driving. It's fun to me, it's a stress reliever to me, and the car I currently drive drives like a slow boat so I'm really interested in getting a fun, high-performance car. I don't want to "play it safe" and get something overly practical. To me, fun is preferred much more over practicality.

I realize I'm on a Tesla forum so I'll get biased answers, but please try to help me out on what you think is best for me. Thank you!

I had a Mercedes CLK63 AMG, when we bought the "completely impractical" Roadster. Suddenly the Beast only got driven for rare occasions, when we needed four seats, or loaned it out to visitors, or once a month just because. The Green Machine became my daily driver for pretty much everything.

Then the Beast got traded for the Model S BGC. Never going back.

Reactions: cbin97
I am replying to this in regards to my Model S, I don't know how the Model 3 will be, but I would assume it will be the same. I had a 2007 BMW M5 and then a 2010 Audi S4 and I have never looked back. I loved my S4 too, great car. I was sad driving it to pick up my S for trade in. The second I got behind the wheel I never looked back and I literally have lost all interest in ICE cars now. I used to always think I would get some sort of high end coupe like an R8 or 911, I have literally zero interest now. If anything I will just rent one for a day or do one of those track day rentals and that would be more than enough, because for everyday driving nothing beats a Tesla. It is so different it will change you.

Again this is driving a Model S, but I would assume the 3 will do the same. The handling was actually really surprising to me, due to the battery pack being so low and in the center of the car, it makes it very sticky and fun even though it is the biggest car I have ever had.

You will miss out on the vroom vroom noises which many performance junkies like, but otherwise I can't think of anything you would miss out on by going with a Tesla. I guess you could also miss out on performance upgrades, if you are that type of person. I suppose you can port and polish your A/C vents.

Also, if you are young, you have plenty of time to work your way up the performance ladder. I'm a performance enthusiast, and my first car was $1000 and had 88 horsepower. On one hand, it sucks waiting, but on the other, it is more rewarding to work your way up over time.

I sold my 2010 Camaro SS in July 2014 and picked up my S85 in January 2015. Like Skotty said, I occasionally miss the noise (I had intake, long-tube headers, cat-back, and tune) when leaving a light, but beyond that, I can't think of much I don't like better about the Model S. Of course, without knowing anything about the Model 3, we can't make a direct comparison.

I went from a Mustang GT to a 2013 CPO P85. There are times when I miss the roar of the engine, but the longer I drive the Tesla, the less important the roar becomes. The acceleration is significantly stronger in the S as are the various creature comforts. I still have the GT, which I plan to drive in the summer with the top down (convertible).

The instant torque of the Model S' electric motors blows away the feeling of pretty much every vehicle I have ever been in.

Handling-wise, the Model S does pretty well especially for its size and weight, but I wouldn't call it sporty. But I wouldn't consider something like a Camaro a handling beast either so I'll call it a wash :)

Reactions: JenniferQ
I came from the BMW M3 world (and the modified Mustang world prior to that). I was born and raised on muscle cars, loud exhaust, superchargers, V8s, manual transmissions, etc. etc.

I bought a Model S and all that went away pretty much instantly. Everything I used to love now seems antique but lovable, like a Zack Morris cell phone. I will never buy an ICE again.

Reactions: JenniferQ
There are a few of these threads floating around now, and it seems the majority never looked back. However I generally still prefer driving my BMW. Its a much lighter car and as such is much more nimble and handles much better. It also has a much better seating position, a manual transmission, and sounds great.

I came from a supercharged Audi R8 and haven't looked back. I still take it out 2-3 times a year, but the S is just faster, quieter and more practical.

The R8 does handle a heck of a lot better though.

I've had a litany of different cars. Most recently I had a V10 M5, then a 550 sport with a 6 speed and then switched from that to a tuned 535 making just shy of 500hp. It was probably the best car I've ever owned. In fact, I loved it so much I wrote an article about how great it was.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/10-reasons-the-e60-535i-is-better-than-the-m5-1608323644

Aside from that I've owned two performance parts companies and have always been a car guy. The Tesla leaves me wanting for nothing. It's not quite the canyon carver the two BMW's were but it's well balanced and confident in turns. With respect to power, the instant torque is unlike anything an internal combustion engine could ever deliver. Even with properly sized turbos the BMW would have a bit of a wait until they spooled and the M5 would need to be wound well towards redline before you could squeeze out a respectable amount of thrust. In the Tesla you just hit the pedal and it moves.

My one suggestion: get a rear wheel drive car.

There are a few of these threads floating around now, and it seems the majority never looked back. However I generally still prefer driving my BMW. Its a much lighter car and as such is much more nimble and handles much better. It also has a much better seating position, a manual transmission, and sounds great.
I have a tuned Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution that was my daily driver before I moved to CA and got the Model S. I kept it around "for fun." It doesn't get driven much. The Model S is much faster, roomier, and more comfortable.

That said, I do miss the rumble and occasional report from the tailpipe. I do miss the handling feel, as stepping back into the Evo makes it instantly apparent how heavy the Model S really is. Most of all I miss the shifting. I had convinced myself that the instantaneous, unmatchable throttle response of the Model S brought the advantages of shifting without the actual work, but the truth is that manually shifting is FUN. It's complex in that "Easy to learn, difficult to master" way that simply stomping on an accelerator can't match.

Will you miss it? Hard to say. It seems most don't. I do, but at the end of the day, my Model S saw ~10k miles last year and the Evo saw ~750. That's telling.

Reactions: Mike K
The wife and I have owned a number of performance and luxury cars over the past quarter century together. Most recently, I got out of my S63/AMG. I have had my '15 S85D for seven days and now 1400 miles. The S is a better performance car, unlike any ICE I've driven or owned. It just lacks the interior Comfort and luxury I have come to expect and desire. Other than the less than desirable interior, I am pleased with the S. Doubt I will get another one unless they improve the interior Comfort and features.

You will miss out on the vroom vroom noises which many performance junkies like,

For about ten minutes.

This.

This same argument was made by a person trying to sell me on an ICE car.

Cost of taxes on ICE cars and keeping them on the road are disgustingly overpriced where I live.
Its so bad that manufacturers nerf their cars for this market.
About a year and a half ago, someone at Audi tried selling me on an A7 sportback. 1.8T NON-quattro ~250hp for..... $90K USD.

I suggested a similarly priced RWD S 85 would be quicker, more spacious, more technologically advanced, cheaper to run in the long term than the audi.
The only rebuttal was that the model S wouldn't provide the satisfaction of an exhaust note or engine roar... immediately felt the need to facepalm.

Typical car guy here and now having experienced the acceleration that is instantly on tap for the dual drive cars, I can absolutely say Tesla has ruined ICE cars for me. I'll still be a fan of ICE cars but it's almost an unfair comparison.
Now when I see/hear any car that passes by while making too much noise, I only feel sorry for them that they're trying so hard and not getting anywhere quick.

Reactions: BriansTesla
When I was young, after many years of driving a Camry, I went out and bought myself a sporty Celica GT-S. A high red line, 0 to 60 in 7.5ish seconds -- and it was fun, and moderately useful in that it as a hatchback, it could seat 5 (3 rather uncomfortably), and had fold down seats so I could occasionally transport large Ikea furniture boxes. It was small, allowing me to fit into tight street parking spaces in San Francisco. I got into getting performance modifications. It's now been 15 years, 175k miles and the engine is still running strong, though it's been well maintained. It has cost me 27k in maintenance and repair/parts costs, which is roughly the same amount I paid for the car. I count myself as an car enthusiast, though I'm more into handling than performance.

I also owned a BMW 850i, a V-12 300hp, 4000 lb. beast of a machine. The maintenance costs of that car, and the high gasoline prices of the era, made me decide to sell it. It also didn't handle very well, and did 0-60 in about 6 seconds. It was the complete opposite of a Model S, if I think about it now -- loud and noisy, expensive to maintain, constantly in for repairs, electronics were very 80's with a LCD-dot audio system panel (where some dots had died), a 6-CD changer, and a corded carphone. I never want to own a BMW ever again. (lease maybe, but not own).

In the year since I've had my P85D, I've done about 16k miles on it, and only about 2k on the Celica. The Model S is definitely my preferred driving vehicle these days. The Celica has been relegated mostly to doing shopping cart areas and IKEA errands.

The Model S (in any iteration) blows the lids off these two ICE cars both in terms of 0-to-60 and maintenance costs.

I don't think you'll get bored of driving the Model S -- that was my fear as well, especially since I can't go to the mall without seeing other high-end / performance/ exotic cars, but now when I see them, I just think, "It's an ICE -- not at all interested. Why did they buy that when they could have gotten a Model S or two?"

I'm on my second Tesla (P85 first, now a P85D). I still have an ICE compact (VW) and a pickup (F150) and the first Tesla replaced an Audi A7, which replaced an Audi A5, which replaced BMWS and Mercedes.

I like a lot of things about the Tesla, but in terms of performance, its something of a one trick pony (maybe 1.5 tricks). The instant torque is very cool and it is better than just about any ICE vehicle I've driven, but only at lower speeds. I drive cars hard and at higher speeds, and when you get to the higher speeds the Tesla is just ok. It won't beat quite a few performance ICEs at higher speeds. I really miss the supercharged engine and excellent transmission in my Audi when I'm at extra legal speeds. Having a transmission that will kick down a gear or two, and a super/turbochager that gives pretty near instant power, at 60+ mph beats what I get in my P85D every time.

I also miss the manual transmissions that I had in the A5 and BMWs. Those provide a lot more fun to me than does the ridiculously quick 0-60 time of the Tesla. And I miss having all of the potential power available as long as I had fuel in the tank (Tesla performance falls off as the state of charge drops).

I don't think you can compare a pony car to a Tesla, pending the details of the Model 3. I suspect the 3 will be more akin to the lower level Audis and BMWs, though. If you are into Mustangs or Camaros or Challengers, that's what you should get.