Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with (2) drivers using (2) different key FOBS....questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my wife uses key fob and i use the another key fob.

when i walk up to the X, the door opens, but the setting of the seat is still set to her much different position, which makes it a challenge for me to get in. she doens't like to use easy entry, but i do.

what is the sequence of events that need to occur so if she drove the X last and i drive it next (visa versa for her):

1) i approach the X from the driver's side, the door opens.

2) i don't need to wiggle my body into her previous driving position and then press the brake pedal for the X to know it's me and adjust to my seating position, etc?

do i need to do something with my specific key fob or tesla app? anyone else have this similar experience?

You need to create driver profiles in the car. Select your profile and make all your changes and save (every time you change a setting a brief prompt will pop up asking to save). Edit your profile and assign it to your fob.

Repeat the above using the second fob for your wife"s profile and settings.

This is how ours is set up and works great. Only had a bit of an issue when her fob died and was replaced. Had to reassign the fob to her profile as FOB #3 than a later her settings stopped working and the car seemed to have renamed her fob to fob #2 again. Reassigned to her profile and all good.

I am pretty sure this is all in the owners manual ;)

PLUS hint: use the easy entry feature on each profile to move the seat back

Reactions: AvengerBB
You need to create driver profiles in the car. Select your profile and make all your changes and save (every time you change a setting a brief prompt will pop up asking to save). Edit your profile and assign it to your fob.

Repeat the above using the second fob for your wife"s profile and settings.

This is how ours is set up and works great. Only had a bit of an issue when her fob died and was replaced. Had to reassign the fob to her profile as FOB #3 than a later her settings stopped working and the car seemed to have renamed her fob to fob #2 again. Reassigned to her profile and all good.

I am pretty sure this is all in the owners manual ;)

PLUS hint: use the easy entry feature on each profile to move the seat back

Thanks for the feedback! I have driver profiles for me, my wife and for east entry. It does ask do I want to link the profile to key fob #1.

So a couple of more questions:

1) How do I know which key fob is #1? I have an abstract ocean cover on both fobs, I have taken that off, but there is not distinct way to know which is #1...or I am missing something obvious?

2) I want the seat position to move from my wife's position the minute I get near to the car. Meaning when I approach the X, I want the seat to go into Easy Entry (because she would left the car with her seat setting still active with no Easy Entry).

Thanks for the feedback! I have driver profiles for me, my wife and for east entry. It does ask do I want to link the profile to key fob #1.

So a couple of more questions:

1) How do I know which key fob is #1? I have an abstract ocean cover on both fobs, I have taken that off, but there is not distinct way to know which is #1...or I am missing something obvious?

2) I want the seat position to move from my wife's position the minute I get near to the car. Meaning when I approach the X, I want the seat to go into Easy Entry (because she would left the car with her seat setting still active with no Easy Entry).
My wife and I have different colored fob covers.

Reactions: X-pilot
My wife and I have different colored fob covers.

sorry, i was clear with the covers.

my wife has a different colored key fob cover as me.

so we both know which key is who's. however, when you take actual key fob out of the cover, there is not 1 or 2 on either of the actual Tesla key fobs (again unless i missing something). so that is where my confusion lies. in other cars, there is a 1 or 2, so you know who get 1 or 2 and set preferences based on 1 or 2.

so when i set a profile, i can link it to key fob 1, how do i know which one is 1? i hope im making some sense. i guess trail and error will work too.

sorry, i was clear with the covers.

my wife has a different colored key fob cover as me.

so we both know which key is who's. however, when you take actual key fob out of the cover, there is not 1 or 2 on either of the actual Tesla key fobs (again unless i missing something). so that is where my confusion lies. in other cars, there is a 1 or 2, so you know who get 1 or 2 and set preferences based on 1 or 2.

so when i set a profile, i can link it to key fob 1, how do i know which one is 1? i hope im making some sense. i guess trail and error will work too.
I don’t think they’re labeled. We never take ours out of the covers. Maybe put a small sticker on 1 of them?

Fobs are really First, Second, etc. #1 is the first recognized by the car.
Easy entry is saved in the profile.
Automatic doors is not saved with the profile.
Sounds like the OP fob was not triggering a profile switch.
I have had this problem intermittantly. A full reboot and/or changing the fob battery has resolved the problem.

It is just wacky sometimes. I will get in, with KeyFob#1 assigned to my profile and it will activate my wifes profile, and vice versa. I am on MCU1 though, so that could be it?
The weirdest is I will drive, have my phone bluetooth connected, get in the car an hour later and my wifes bluetooth is connected....

If I recall correctly in the ‘Locks > Keys’ section of the software, they are listed top to bottom by date time of last usage?
So if you just unlocked the car that fob (or any key) should be at the top of the list.

Hopefully I am understanding your issue properly, also I have model 3, not sure if different software in X?

Just a note about the key fobs. Not sure this happens to other people, but the key fobs linked to profiles does not seem to work correctly for me 100% of the time. My wife and I have our fobs marked (actually in different color silicon covers) so we can distinguish the two fobs. We place the fobs very far away from the car. Sometimes when I am even away from home at the grocery store and I am the only person in the car, the model x will set the car up with my wife’s profile settings. Pretty annoying.

We have tried relinking each fob. We have easy entry set up and each fob linked to our separate profiles. Interesting that our car can mostly drive on its own, but can’t seem to get which fob unlocked the car correct. Sorry about the rant, but frustrating. First world problems. I know.

Based on my past experience. You will only see the Key Fob that's close by. If you're on Fob #2, it will only list Fob #2 when you're linking your profile. So make sure the other key fob is not close to the car, and whatever key fob choice the profile gives you is the one you're holding.

-ThinkMac-

Based on my past experience. You will only see the Key Fob that's close by. If you're on Fob #2, it will only list Fob #2 when you're linking your profile. So make sure the other key fob is not close to the car, and whatever key fob choice the profile gives you is the one you're holding.

-ThinkMac-
Wish this were true for me. As I mentioned, in my case there have even been many instances where I am not home and not within miles of the other keyfob and when I get in the car it loads my wife’s profile (even after my drive from home to the grocery store was using my profile). And yes I was using my keyfob (though I am sure people here might be skeptical of it).
At home we keep the keyfobs pretty far away from the car (through the garage about 25 feet away).

Wish this were true for me. As I mentioned, in my case there have even been many instances where I am not home and not within miles of the other keyfob and when I get in the car it loads my wife’s profile (even after my drive from home to the grocery store was using my profile). And yes I was using my keyfob (though I am sure people here might be skeptical of it).
At home we keep the keyfobs pretty far away from the car (through the garage about 25 feet away).

Are you both using easy entry? I have 3 fobs, 3 driver profiles. There's only a couple of cases it loads the wrong one.

1. Someone left a key in the car...this is the most common reason.
2. One profile is using easy entry, another is not. I don't remember which order, but this occasionally causes it to default to the 1st profile on the list.

Are you both using easy entry? I have 3 fobs, 3 driver profiles. There's only a couple of cases it loads the wrong one.

1. Someone left a key in the car...this is the most common reason.
2. One profile is using easy entry, another is not. I don't remember which order, but this occasionally causes it to default to the 1st profile on the list.

Yes. We are both using easy entry. Glad things working for you. As I stated in our case this has happened many times where I have my fob (our fobs are easily distinguishable with different color silicon covers) and it loads my wife’s profile. Her fob is stored across the house very far away from the garage. Another case I mentioned is where I am miles away from our home and I am the only one in the car with my own fob and her profile loads when I get to the car.