Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with Gen 3 WC, do your lights work like manual states?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
1st, I looked for rules but cant find them about double posting . I have posted about this in the Models S sub forum, but i just read a lot of talk about these here.

Anyway ,I installed a gen 3 AC 2 weeks ago and it charges great, but the LEDs do not do what the manual says .

Below I will try to give the whole picture and welcome any input

unplugged from car = solid green light

1-plugged into car = streaming green lights on charges & flashing ring on car -aas expected .
2-once charging completes = still streaming green lights on WC , car has solid green light
3-This WC never stops the streaming lights as long as its plugged into car
4-The car is not charging according to app an screen
5-My electrical use is doubled when leave plugged in over night (from 1 - 1.5 kwh without it plugged into car, up to 3- 4 kwh plugged in to car but NOT charging)

In my other thread One person responded that his WC shows blue LED once charging is complete -as I would expect. Mine does not ever show a blue LED.

I chatted with several people at Tesla and got an email conversation with a tech at home charging . none of them seemed very confident in my situation , but the Home charging tech said that the car will not accept more that it needs and let it go at that...

I would like to get other peoples experiences so I can go back to them and get them to fix this if its not right.

Any help would be appreciated, these things are not cheap and I want it to work correctly (and not double my electric bill)

Thanks for reading

PS- I am sorry if I broke some forum rules posting in 2 subs , but I cant find where to read about them .

Normally a Tesla vehicle will signal the EVSE to pass power to the car only when testing at first connection and while actively charging. It sounds like your setup is passing power to the car at all times when plugged in. This requires the Wall Connector to hold the relay closed, which will consume some small amount of power. However, I doubt it accounts for an extra 2kWh+ consumption overnight.

Sorry I couldn't be more help - I don't have a Gen3 unit myself.

Anything is helpful at this point, I was hoping more people already had them and could share experience .

It does close the relay in he WC (you can here it click) every time you plug it into the car... even when its fully charged .

My electric company lets us break usage down into 1 hour blocks so I am able to track the usage. If it were using .5kwh hours ,I probably wouldn't even think about it , but it really is about 2 even when not charging

I also tracked back to before I installed it when I was using the charger that come with the car and when charging stopped with it , my usage drops back down to the same as when un plugged...
Maybe I am being too picky about it, but its a lot of money, Id like it to work correctly .

Questions, questions...lol but thanks for the response

I wanted to take a moment to update this in case some one in the future has same issue...

After many emails with Tesla (they have not given up on me), they finally told me that they pulled my logs and it showed that I had "scheduled charging" turned on and that is why the car is pulling 1 amp even when its not charging .

I went out and checked, and it was off (on the touch screen) . I have never turned it on or messed with "scheduled charging" tab what so ever since I have had the car.

So last night when came home I went to the tab ("scheduled charging " ) and checked...it was still in the off mode. I then decided to cycle through the "scheduled" menus a few times to look around. I then went back and turned it off again, got out and plugged the car in and started charging .

At 11pm the I got notified that charging was complete from the app so I went out to unplug it (like I have gotten used to doing) and the green lights were not streaming...YEH!!!! It was the pulsing blue light!!! So i left it plugged in all night and this morning it was still the pulsing blue light. I also confirmed via Teslafi that the car went to sleep while plugged in..it has never done that before.

So in the next few days I will correlate that with my hourly electricity usage graph to confirm there is no longer the 3-4 wh draw.

But this seems to be a promising event, maybe now it will work like normal. (at least one night)

I just wish I could know for sure why logs show I have "scheduled charging" turned on but on my interface it shows as off?? I will post what they tell me about that if anything once they respond to my update.

I just wish I could know for sure why logs show I have "scheduled charging" turned on but on my interface it shows as off?? I will post what they tell me about that if anything once they respond to my update.
This sounds like a case of something that happens in software sometimes. In two systems that can communicate the state of variables, if one or the other gets restarted at some point (like with a software update) it may initialize with not knowing the correct state of the variable. And if there is nothing to tell it to go check with the other system, it can sit there, thinking it already knows the state, even though it is incorrect.

So your changing it to scheduled charging ON and then back to OFF caused it to send that variable change of state information over to the other system, which synced them up again, getting them both on the same page.

I wanted to take a moment to update this in case some one in the future has same issue...

After many emails with Tesla (they have not given up on me), they finally told me that they pulled my logs and it showed that I had "scheduled charging" turned on and that is why the car is pulling 1 amp even when its not charging .

I went out and checked, and it was off (on the touch screen) . I have never turned it on or messed with "scheduled charging" tab what so ever since I have had the car.

So last night when came home I went to the tab ("scheduled charging " ) and checked...it was still in the off mode. I then decided to cycle through the "scheduled" menus a few times to look around. I then went back and turned it off again, got out and plugged the car in and started charging .

At 11pm the I got notified that charging was complete from the app so I went out to unplug it (like I have gotten used to doing) and the green lights were not streaming...YEH!!!! It was the pulsing blue light!!! So i left it plugged in all night and this morning it was still the pulsing blue light. I also confirmed via Teslafi that the car went to sleep while plugged in..it has never done that before.

So in the next few days I will correlate that with my hourly electricity usage graph to confirm there is no longer the 3-4 wh draw.

But this seems to be a promising event, maybe now it will work like normal. (at least one night)

So is Telsa saying a pulsing blue light is correct after charging is complete? I read pg 26 of the manual to mean it should be solid blue when complete if plugged in and solid green if not plugged in. Mine has been pulsing blue after charging is complete. I sent a message to Tesla the other day to checking on this but haven't heard back yet.

I tried cycling through the settings as described above and it hasn't changed anything.

To be honest, the weeks that I spent on chat an email about this ( and multiple departments) , It appears the manual is incorrect. I am not certain because through all of said communications, they never seemed sure of how it was supposed to operate...none of them.

How ever, my experience seems to suggest that pulsing blue light is the correct indicator for stand-by mode (plugged in -not charging) .
I am pretty sure because my car will actually go to sleep plugged in like this .
Anther reason is my electrical usage is normal in this state as opposed to how it was before the pulsing blue light (read my original post and #3 for more detail )

Originally I could not get the streaming green lights to stop...that is what cycling through the setting fixed for me.
I think yours is working correctly , maybe they will update the manual?

To be honest, the weeks that I spent on chat an email about this ( and multiple departments) , It appears the manual is incorrect. I am not certain because through all of said communications, they never seemed sure of how it was supposed to operate...none of them.

How ever, my experience seems to suggest that pulsing blue light is the correct indicator for stand-by mode (plugged in -not charging) .
I am pretty sure because my car will actually go to sleep plugged in like this .
Anther reason is my electrical usage is normal in this state as opposed to how it was before the pulsing blue light (read my original post and #3 for more detail )

Originally I could not get the streaming green lights to stop...that is what cycling through the setting fixed for me.
I think yours is working correctly , maybe they will update the manual?