Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with multiple Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of you that have multiple Powerwalls, have you looked at what your rate your PWs charge at when charging from the grid?

Currently, I have two Powerwall 2s installed but I noticed that when the PWs are charging from the grid they charge at 3.3kw total.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Those of you that have multiple Powerwalls, have you looked at what your rate your PWs charge at when charging from the grid?

Currently, I have two Powerwall 2s installed but I noticed that when the PWs are charging from the grid they charge at 3.3kw total.

Maximum charge rate is about 1.7 kW per powerwall.

• Informative
Reactions: NYEVDriver
I am curious if this has to do with a load calculation performed at the residence by the installers. I guess than can limit charge rates when they provision the system, no? It would not surprise me if they just added up breakers in the panel and said let's keep it under 15A and de-rate down by 125% to 12A. Then say oh, the provisioning software comes in different steps. Lets go with the 1.7kW setting.

Now that I’m at 1.9 I’m having issues charging due to the update...

I think the grid charging is limited by the backup gateway.. If I shut off one of my PWs the other PW would charge at 3.3 from the grid so I know it’s not an issue with the PW.

Screenshot_20171112-093226.png Screenshot_20171112-093226.png
I switched to self powered mode today to try it and I notice I charge a lot faster from solar now. BTW I have a single powerwall. Before it would charge at 1.7 max

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171112-094158.png
    Screenshot_20171112-094158.png
    700 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Ok guys, so Tesla call and basically the grid charging I saw was a bug. Charging from the grid is not allowed if you have a solar system, right now. Tesla is working through some legal stuff before they can release the grid charging feature. No ETA from Tesla right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar