Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with non-P orders taking delivery in NYS should wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S3XY

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I spent about an hour on the phone with my OA today to try to get them to correct the NY Drive Clean rebate listed on my Purchase Agreement. I have a LR AWD (non performance) Model Y set to be delivered between March 15 and the 31st. But they are only applying a $500 NY rebate to my order. For those that don't know, the rebate is based on the range of the EV and also the Base MSRP of it. The definition of the Base MSRP is the lowest MSRP price of each trim line of a car before any options are added. The Model Y Base MSRP for the AWD is $52,990 and the Performance is $60,990 (click the Purchase Price slider under the Select Your Car header) and has a range over 300 miles. Given these facts the AWD should receive the $2,000 rebate and the Performance $500. This is due to the cutoff for the max rebate being a Base MSRP of $60k. If the EV is $60k or more you are limited to $500. I went back and forth with my OA but in the end he said the AWD Model Y is not listed on the NYSERDA site so it is not eligible for the $2,000 rebate. He wouldn't admit to me that it should be eligible even though it obviously is. At first he tried to say that a Base MSRP included the options but I was able to disprove that based on the Model 3. On the NYSERDA site the Model 3 shows a base MSRP of $39,490 - $56,990 (notice the heading of the price column is Base MSRP). If you look on Tesla's site they list the Base MSRP of the SR+ as $39,990 and the Performance as $56,990. The SR+ price has recently been increased by $500 but back in October of 2019 it was $39,490(scroll down to the second image of the configurater). This would exactly match NYSERDA based on the pricing prior to Tesla increasing the SR+ price. Tesla just didn't reach out to have them update the web site. So this shows that the Base MSRP is in fact the lowest price of each trim before options.

TL;DR Apparently Tesla will not honor the full credit that should apply to AWD Model Y's (Base MSRP is $52,990) until the NYSERDA site lists the Model Y (which it's Tesla's responsibility to contact them to get it updated). So unless you are willing to give up $1,500 towards your AWD Model Y you should postpone your delivery until it is listed on that site. The Performance model only qualifies for the $500 rebate so no need to wait on those.

Last edited:
I'm hoping this will drive those in the same situation to harp on their OA to get it added to the list. I even made the point that it's Tesla that's trying to make these deliveries by the end of the quarter so it's in their own interest to get it added. I will definitely wait an extra week or two (4?) to be sure I get the extra $1,500. Also, It's known that Tesla monitors this site and maybe the right person will see this and have whomever's responsible to get off their @ss and do it. It's not like they didn't know what the Base MSRP was going to be in advance and they also knew when they would begin deliveries so this just shows they're disorganized. I have to think it's just a matter of Tesla sending NYSERDA a letter or maybe an email to ask them to add it. Although who knows how quickly a state agency will act to update their web site. Sorry to cross-reference threads but in the New York Rebate thread I show NYSERDA's manual which states that they will confirm the BASE MSRP of an EV based on the OEM's web page. It's pretty easy to find that on Tesla's site by clicking the order button for Model Y and clicking the slider to see the Purchase Price.

Oh, and on that note of Tesla's disorganization with deliveries, everyone in Upstate NY should verify that their delivery is set for Mt Kisco. Because once again Tesla was planning on delivering my car in Pittsburgh because it's closest to me. The problem is you have to take delivery through a NYS "dealer" in order to receive any rebate from NY.

Last edited:
Oh, and on that note of Tesla's disorganization with deliveries, everyone in Upstate NY should verify that their delivery is set for Mt Kisco. Because once again Tesla was planning on delivering my car in Pittsburgh because it's closest to me. The problem is you have to take delivery through a NYS "dealer" in order to receive any rebate from NY.

I was told the a similar story from the Pittsburgh store. I asked where I would take delivery from, they said I could take delivery in Pittsburgh PA, then drive the car to Mt Kisco to have the process finished (car has to be inspected, some other NYS B.S also, don’t remember what), or they said you can just take delivery in NYS, which I’m fine with. Yes, Pittsburgh is way closer for me, but I’m not going to then have to go to Mt Kisco regardless.

I just sent an email to [email protected] with a quick message as follows

I am getting ready to purchase a Tesla Model Y. we are being told that it can’t qualify for the NY $2000 rebate BECAUSE IT HAS NOT BEEN ADDED TO YOUR LIST AS A QUALIFYING VEHICLE.

Can someone please look into this?

Maybe if a bunch of us emailed them it would help?

Big decisions. Is your joy of owning a Tesla dictated by $1500.00, 2.8% of the purchase price before taxes? I have to agree that all the north american countries that signed onto the Paris climate agreement (and did not go back on their countries word) are starting to look like it was just an opportunity to smile and pat each other on the back and have now walked away and are doing as little as possible. No difference with the crap government up here and them trying to bleed you dry and give you nothing. By the people for the people baby. None are in it for their own power or gain it is all about you. Fighting for rebates sometimes works out; it has for me. I have also learned that sometimes quality of life is better by picking your battles wisely. Best of luck and do not get too stressed out.

I'm not stressed out about this, just being proactive.
Just like I've researched items that I "need" to buy before I get delivery (which is still undetermined), floor mats, screen protectors, etc. etc., this is another item (that might pay for all those needed items!)

1500 may pay for a lot; no two ways about it. Just saying that maybe you should not place too much faith in the ethics of your government. Tesla may not be able to change that either. I never see government throwing too much money at us and taking none. Rebates for home improvements is one I remember not too fondly; it was over 10,000 so I pursued it for some time and it "finally" paid off. Most of the time they know people just give up. Keep on them you could help others.

Understand it is difficult planing without knowing things like wheelbase, height, clearance etc. Had a Tesla chat about floor mats (liners) and they know nothing to date. In fact the user manual is not even on their internal service yet. Model 3 screen and mats may give you a ball park cost we guess? I understand hype and lack of advertising budget but for me this is becoming a bit ridiculous. Are we to wait until a owner tells us what they got? Glad I am not the first to take delivery, hype is just not my character.

Reactions: Mufasa