TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Those with paint armor, does it ALWAYS have the line across the hood?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by hipringles, Sep 29, 2015.

1. hipringles

hipringles Member

I recently (2 months) ago purchased a CPO which claims it has Paint Armor, but I am not sure it does. There is no line on the hood like the others which i've seen with the armor, like this one

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Check the edges of the hood and even look at the underside of the edges. If it is a good job, you should only see a very slight edge to the wrap. The Tesla wrap is only 50% of the hood, thus the seam. IMO, it's unsightly. Good wraps cover the entire hood or any other panel so that the seams are not visible. I have seen several references for good installers in FL.

3. hipringles

hipringles Member

I am more concerned about it not having it when the configuration said it did. I very much wanted the PA for the protection (part of the reason I chose my specific one). If it doesn't have it I guess I will just gruntle @ them some, then get one done properly

4. morbot

morbot Member

Hopefully it doesn't have the "half hood" implementation as shown in your screenshot... it's terrible having that line across the hood and I can't believe they even offered it in the first place.

As CHG-ON mentioned, check the edging, particularly the corners, and you may see an edge. If it's done well, you'll really have to look to see it.

5. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

Just get Suntek for a darker color or Xpel Ultimate for a lighter color.

6. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Local Vendor - Southeast

Find a local paint protection film installation company. Have them remove the hood film and install a full hood piece. You'll be happier with its looks and protection.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yep. I ordered it from Tesla and that's what I got. Guess where all the stone chips are? I wish I'd had the whole hood covered.

8. brec

brec Member

#8 brec, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    For what it's worth, my own cost-benefit trade-off decision on installation of XPEL Ultimate was to cover the entire front of the car up to the doors plus 15 inches of the roof and the windshield side pillars. So I have "the line" across the roof. (Plus the installer included the trunk sill and door edges.) That was $1,100; the whole car would have been $3,000.

Edit: side mirrors, too.

9. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I should have driven to Reno. I paid $3500 for not much more coverage than you obtained.

10. hipringles

hipringles Member

Thanks for the reply.

After more and more investigating it seems my car (CPO) does NOT have the paint armor on the hood, nor front bumper, even though the spec sheet claimed it did.
    This is slightly unsettling the car is not spec'd as listed... not sure if I want to bring this up to them

11. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

Why would you have any qualms at all about bringing this up? The car was not listed correctly.

12. hipringles

hipringles Member

I try not to be a pain in the ass to people unless its something worth fighting over. But the more I think about it, the more pissed I am about it, along with other **** ups on the CPO delivery.

Since this is obviously something they won't install, what do I push on? Free LTE upgrade? 500$ back (price of the PA?)

13. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

LTE would calm me down. YMMV! But do bring it up. It's like any other listed option that affected the asking price.

14. hipringles

hipringles Member

I would rather them pay to get a front bumper/hood paint armor installed professionally, but LTE would help me offset the cost I will take doing this.

Looks like I have a fun phone call tomorrow!

15. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

It was most likely removed. You could probably get something similar, if not better, from a local XPEL/Suntek dealer.

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Definitely bring it up. Good luck.

17. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

It must be getting chilly down in hell... We've agreed on something! :)

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Maybe the Cubs will win the World Series now:)

19. hipringles

hipringles Member

How would you guys verify this before calling? I want to be 100% sure before I get a big tiff with them (including I've been nagging them over the beginning of a milling noise, and insanely annoying brake sounds when coming to a complete stop).

I know for 100% fact there is a film line on the hood. I do not see any evidence of wrap around the front bumper where it meets the other body panels. Any other ways?