Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with RWD cars, how'd it handle the ice storm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We drove our 2013 Tesla Model S RWD all through the ice storm multiple times daily and in all of the conditions. No issues. Excellent traction. We have dedicated Nokian winter tires.

Our street is a steep slope, and municipality usually plows us out first. Not this time. They waited due to risk of flooding. Multiple cars stuck on the street, but we cruised up the steepest slopes no issues.

Our driveway is very steep, almost 15 degrees! No troubles. Didn't need to shovel.

AWD IS NOT REQUIRED in urban Ontario. I grew up in the country driving RWD cars, and have owned AWD Mercedes before the Tesla. In my experience and judgement most will find the RWD 3 a great car with winter tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
AWD IS NOT REQUIRED in urban Ontario. I grew up in the country driving RWD cars, and have owned AWD Mercedes before the Tesla. In my experience and judgement most will find the RWD 3 a great car with winter tires.

Couldn't agree more. While I recently traded my RWD S on an X, I drove my RWD S through 5 winters and never once was in a position where I thought AWD could have helped me. I used Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires which are simply amazing.

I drove a couple of RWD BMWs and a FWD MINI through many brutal winters when I lived in Calgary. I always had good winter tires and never had any kind of close call that I felt was caused by having only two driven wheels.

Seems to be some mixing up of "traction" and "grip" in the thread, but overall it's true that tires are the most important thing. AWD gives you more traction, but tires are what give you grip (and what allow you to slow down faster). AWD cars don't grip any more than FWD / RWD.

The biggest issue with RWD these days is resale value, since people have been conditioned to equate AWD with safety, to the extent that they're convinced they'll instantly have a massive crash if they drive a RWD car in winter.

Reactions: mknox