TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Thought I wanted an X, ended up buying an S

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by LASpark, Sep 11, 2013.

1. LASpark

LASpark Member

#1 LASpark, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    My current car is an Acura RDX, a small SUV perfect for running around LA picking up and delivering artwork.

I've been watching Tesla since they first announced the Roadster, but it was obviously too small for what I needed. I was aware of the Model S, but didn't pay a lot of attention because I thought I needed an SUV, not a sedan.

When the X was announced I was excited, finally I was going to buy my first Tesla! Of course this caused me to start researching everything in earnest and to really look close at the Model S. I found out six things:

1. The Model X sled is the going to be the same size as the Model S sled.
    2. The Model S is a 5 door! (Sorry I didn't know until I looked).
    3. The Model S rear seats fold down creating a huge space perfect for large flat objects.
    4. The Model X is likely going to be heavier than the Model S.
    5. The Model X is going to have greater frontal area than the Model S, so more drag.
    6. The Model X was going to come out later than I thought.
    So for me, the Model S turned out to a better vehicle and it was available right now. I take delivery on 9/30!

2. texex91

texex91 Banned

That happens :biggrin:

Great choices and color. Congrats and I have a feeling an X will be in store later.

Cant wait to see the S. The wait begins.

3. MikeL

MikeL some guy

The verdict is in. Model S is The Best Car, ever. So your choice is a good one, clearly. The longish wait for a Model X makes an S all the more tempting, but I live at the foot of some very big mountains. The All Wheel Drive is the key difference & the reason I will wait. I don't really need a car as "big" as either of them, but I do need to get up canyon roads when they are restricted to 4WD or -(gasp!)chains. & In the summer, I'll be taking many an all electric camping adventure! ML

besides, I already have the vanity plates! No turning back now :biggrin:

4. LASpark

LASpark Member

AWD is a requirement for Salt Lake City...LA, not so much!

5. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Some geniuses in CA are going to make me The Best Car Ever - version 2 !!

6. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

That's how I got sucked in. I'm a station wagon kind of guy, gotta be able to shove a bike, etc. in the back of the car. Wanted an electric car, but not interested in a sedan. Checked out the Tesla website to look at the Model X, saw the Model S and was intrigued enough to go see it in person at the Skokie, IL store while I was nearby. SOLD!

7. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

+1
    Agreed: Model S is AWESOME.
    Your Model X with AWD will be even more AWESOME.

QUESTION:
    What would you do IF Model S comes out with AWD PRIOR to introduction and release of Model X with AWD?
    Either vehicle with AWD would be a winning answer, just something to consider...

8. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. With the front storage and hatchback, the need for a crossover bodystyle is less important. AWD in a Model S will surely be cheaper than an X, so if it came out first... **AND WE GOT A SERVICE CTR NEARBY** I'd grab an S. I figure it's getting pretty close to bulletproof about now (assuming it arrives with all the door panels matching!)

I'm sure others are thinking along the same lines.

9. MikeL

MikeL some guy

that is indeed something I have seriously asked myself already. I haven't dwelled too much on it though because I really don't think things will happen that way. (I'm also on record lately saying that the big upcoming announcement/demo will NOT be battery swapping, so . . .:rolleyes:) also don't consider myself a "sedan" guy either, but they are sooo beautiful. My wife & I will be in Buffalo NY
    in Nov. She has never seen one in person, the only one I have ever driven was Kipernicus' on the Sunday drive at Teslive. Thanks Kip!! I hope to get a test drive in Toronto while we are there. A P85+ perhaps? UH OH!!! Here we go. ML

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

But the plate! Mike!

11. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Palm hitting forehead - D'oh!!

it would be extremely uncharacteristic of me to have planned Too Far Ahead. Maybe I did this time.

12. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I went through the same process. I still have my Model X reservation for the wife - hopefully it'll be big enough for her. I'm now driving a Model S and loving it.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

An AWD Model S with "Model X" plates would be the ultimate "Tesla Time" magnet. Total non-issue. Don't hold back, Mike.

14. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Are you my long lost twin? I have an RDX which I used for transporting artwork, now moldering in the garage since the S arrived almost 12 months ago...

15. MikeL

MikeL some guy

#15 MikeL, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    My head's gonna explode. Will sleep on it.

ok I'm back :tongue: waves of anticipatory excitement got to be too much last night. Passed a white BMW X6 on the frwy coming home today. Will look forward to gliding up next to him (her?) in my Model X,
    for a friendly "hi, have you seen the future? Here it is. See ya when you catch up!"

16. Barry

Barry Member

Same here. I initially planned to wait for the X, but I heard they are up-sizing it. That could be a deal killer for me. I don't want a Hummer or Escalade sized vehicle. Looked at an Acura MDX a few years ago and even that was too big for my tastes (we're empty nesters). So I'm still waiting for either the S AWD or a not-too-big X.

17. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

LOVE the quote.
    I may steal, er, borrow it a time or two.

"hi, have you seen the future? Here it is. See ya when ya catch up!"

18. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Barry, if this article is the source of upsize rumor/fear, I wouldn't keep worrying. How factual is this article on the Model X?
    seems like a cobbling together of random info by someone who had done zero homework. :rolleyes: The amount of that stuff going around for the last few years (since I started paying attention) about Tesla and TSLA and the EV world in general has just blown me away.
    That said, IF an upsize DID happen to the X, I agree w you. I don't see it happening though, it's already pretty darn big!

purplewalt, borrow at will! I'll make more. Here's another: "gas could be FREE, I'd still get a Tesla" ML

19. Barry

Barry Member

Mike - That article does look familiar. Glad to hear it's probably fiction. :smile:

20. paulkva

paulkva Member

My wife and I sort of went through a reverse process. Both of our cars were old and needed to be replaced. Before I started looking for a new car or ever gave Tesla a second thought, my wife bought a Honda CR-V -- roughly the same size as the Acura RDX -- to be her daily driver as well as the family travel car, figuring my next car would be a much less practical small sport sedan (e.g. Lexus IS). Then I ended up with a Model S, which I think has almost as much total cargo space as the CR-V, and is unequivocally going to be our family travel car for any trip with sufficient charging/supercharging available. I picked up the Model S just over a week ago, and our first road trip (DC to Philly) is this coming weekend -- looking forward to it!