Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thought I wanted an X, ended up buying an S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current car is an Acura RDX, a small SUV perfect for running around LA picking up and delivering artwork.

I've been watching Tesla since they first announced the Roadster, but it was obviously too small for what I needed. I was aware of the Model S, but didn't pay a lot of attention because I thought I needed an SUV, not a sedan.

When the X was announced I was excited, finally I was going to buy my first Tesla! Of course this caused me to start researching everything in earnest and to really look close at the Model S. I found out six things:

1. The Model X sled is the going to be the same size as the Model S sled.
  2. The Model S is a 5 door! (Sorry I didn't know until I looked).
  3. The Model S rear seats fold down creating a huge space perfect for large flat objects.
  4. The Model X is likely going to be heavier than the Model S.
  5. The Model X is going to have greater frontal area than the Model S, so more drag.
  6. The Model X was going to come out later than I thought.
So for me, the Model S turned out to a better vehicle and it was available right now. I take delivery on 9/30!

Last edited:
My current car is an Acura RDX, a small SUV perfect for running around LA picking up and delivering artwork.

I've been watching Tesla since they first announced the Roadster, but it was obviously too small for what I needed. I was aware of the Model S, but didn't pay a lot of attention because I thought I needed an SUV, not a sedan.

When the X was announced I was excited, finally I was going to buy my first Tesla! Of course this caused me to start researching everything in earnest and to really look close at the Model S. I found out six things:

3. The Model S rear seats fold down creating a huge space perfect for large flat objects.
  5. The Model X is going to have a greater frontal area than the Model S, so more drag.
So for me, the Model S turned out to a better vehicle and it was available right now. I take delivery on 9/30!

That happens :biggrin:

Great choices and color. Congrats and I have a feeling an X will be in store later.

Cant wait to see the S. The wait begins.

The verdict is in. Model S is The Best Car, ever. So your choice is a good one, clearly. The longish wait for a Model X makes an S all the more tempting, but I live at the foot of some very big mountains. The All Wheel Drive is the key difference & the reason I will wait. I don't really need a car as "big" as either of them, but I do need to get up canyon roads when they are restricted to 4WD or -(gasp!)chains. & In the summer, I'll be taking many an all electric camping adventure! ML

besides, I already have the vanity plates! No turning back now :biggrin:

That's how I got sucked in. I'm a station wagon kind of guy, gotta be able to shove a bike, etc. in the back of the car. Wanted an electric car, but not interested in a sedan. Checked out the Tesla website to look at the Model X, saw the Model S and was intrigued enough to go see it in person at the Skokie, IL store while I was nearby. SOLD!

The verdict is in. Model S is The Best Car, ever. So your choice is a good one, clearly. :biggrin:

+1
Agreed: Model S is AWESOME.
Your Model X with AWD will be even more AWESOME.

QUESTION:
What would you do IF Model S comes out with AWD PRIOR to introduction and release of Model X with AWD?
Either vehicle with AWD would be a winning answer, just something to consider...

QUESTION:
What would you do IF Model S comes out with AWD PRIOR to introduction and release of Model X with AWD?
Either vehicle with AWD would be a winning answer, just something to consider...

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. With the front storage and hatchback, the need for a crossover bodystyle is less important. AWD in a Model S will surely be cheaper than an X, so if it came out first... **AND WE GOT A SERVICE CTR NEARBY** I'd grab an S. I figure it's getting pretty close to bulletproof about now (assuming it arrives with all the door panels matching!)

I'm sure others are thinking along the same lines.

+1
Agreed: Model S is AWESOME.
Your Model X with AWD will be even more AWESOME.

QUESTION:

that is indeed something I have seriously asked myself already. I haven't dwelled too much on it though because I really don't think things will happen that way. (I'm also on record lately saying that the big upcoming announcement/demo will NOT be battery swapping, so . . .:rolleyes:) also don't consider myself a "sedan" guy either, but they are sooo beautiful. My wife & I will be in Buffalo NY
in Nov. She has never seen one in person, the only one I have ever driven was Kipernicus' on the Sunday drive at Teslive. Thanks Kip!! I hope to get a test drive in Toronto while we are there. A P85+ perhaps? UH OH!!! Here we go. ML

that is indeed something I have seriously asked myself already. I haven't dwelled too much on it though because I really don't think things will happen that way. (I'm also on record lately saying that the big upcoming announcement/demo will NOT be battery swapping, so . . .:rolleyes:) also don't consider myself a "sedan" guy either, but they are sooo beautiful. My wife & I will be in Buffalo NY
in Nov. She has never seen one in person, the only one I have ever driven was Kipernicus' on the Sunday drive at Teslive. Thanks Kip!! I hope to get a test drive in Toronto while we are there. A P85+ perhaps? UH OH!!! Here we go. ML

But the plate! Mike!

5. The Model X is going to have greater frontal area than the Model S, so more drag.

Are you my long lost twin? I have an RDX which I used for transporting artwork, now moldering in the garage since the S arrived almost 12 months ago...

An AWD Model S with "Model X" plates would be the ultimate "Tesla Time" magnet. Total non-issue. Don't hold back, Mike.

My head's gonna explode. Will sleep on it.

ok I'm back :tongue: waves of anticipatory excitement got to be too much last night. Passed a white BMW X6 on the frwy coming home today. Will look forward to gliding up next to him (her?) in my Model X,
for a friendly "hi, have you seen the future? Here it is. See ya when you catch up!"

Last edited:
The All Wheel Drive is the key difference & the reason I will wait. I don't really need a car as "big" as either of them, but I do need to get up canyon roads when they are restricted to 4WD or -(gasp!)chains.
Same here. I initially planned to wait for the X, but I heard they are up-sizing it. That could be a deal killer for me. I don't want a Hummer or Escalade sized vehicle. Looked at an Acura MDX a few years ago and even that was too big for my tastes (we're empty nesters). So I'm still waiting for either the S AWD or a not-too-big X.

Barry, if this article is the source of upsize rumor/fear, I wouldn't keep worrying. How factual is this article on the Model X?
seems like a cobbling together of random info by someone who had done zero homework. :rolleyes: The amount of that stuff going around for the last few years (since I started paying attention) about Tesla and TSLA and the EV world in general has just blown me away.
That said, IF an upsize DID happen to the X, I agree w you. I don't see it happening though, it's already pretty darn big!

purplewalt, borrow at will! I'll make more. Here's another: "gas could be FREE, I'd still get a Tesla" ML

My wife and I sort of went through a reverse process. Both of our cars were old and needed to be replaced. Before I started looking for a new car or ever gave Tesla a second thought, my wife bought a Honda CR-V -- roughly the same size as the Acura RDX -- to be her daily driver as well as the family travel car, figuring my next car would be a much less practical small sport sedan (e.g. Lexus IS). Then I ended up with a Model S, which I think has almost as much total cargo space as the CR-V, and is unequivocally going to be our family travel car for any trip with sufficient charging/supercharging available. I picked up the Model S just over a week ago, and our first road trip (DC to Philly) is this coming weekend -- looking forward to it!