TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Thought I'd give 100% charge a go on CCS

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by DaddyCool, Mar 18, 2020.

1. DaddyCool

DaddyCool Member

A wee bit of work is needed on their algorithm (I get it's dynamic environment but still...) the last 5mins took 25 minutes as it slowed the rate down from 40kW to 2kW. At 100% it recalculated 5 mins due twice for 15mins.

With retrospect it's obvious but at 100% you have no regeneration braking as I guess there's no where for it to go ;)

New popping noises during charge too >90% - never heard that on the free CCS charger and only on Tesla SuperCharger.

2. aerowave

aerowave Member

I noticed that the Time Remaining indicator is not particularly accurate, especially at the higher percentage levels! Once you're below 10kw it takes forever!

3. Mark_T

Mark_T Active Member

It is the nature of these types of battery that the last few percent are essentially unpredictable, it depends on just how well the cells are balanced.

Tesla packs are very good at staying in balance over long periods of partial recharges but when you do decide to take it to the max, expect a little extra time to get to 100%.

• Like x 2
  4. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK P plates

Actually, there is much reduced regen above iirc 92% SOC and thats before taking the temperature into account.

5. pgkevet

pgkevet Member

If I recall correctly then the only real risk during a charge is that you overcharge some of the individual cells. Charging to, say. 90% leaves overhead against that but once you try to get to 100% (depending on what actual capacity the cells are and what the equipment chooses to call 100%. Assume for now a 'real' 100%) then you need fine interconnected cell balance. To achieve that you run tests of storage voltage comparisons and internal resistnace within the stack and keep allowing periods of discharge/recharge to try and push the lower capacitycells up and to track what the overall max capacity can be. It adds to the time and the final [phases have to be nudged at lowr current flows for safety.

6. Andy_T_73

Andy_T_73 Member

Were you sitting in the car with the heater on? I find if you do that as the heater load rises and falls the time to complete the charge varies.

7. DaddyCool

DaddyCool Member

Yeah, I switched that off as I assumed I was using as fast as I was charging.

8. planehazza

planehazza Member

It's not exactly the same, but in the RC World, charging Lithium Polymer batteries go through CC and CV phases. CC is contstant current and ramps in lots of amps until ~85%. Then it switches to CV where amps drop down to maintain the per cell voltage and keep the cells balanced. It's probably similar process in EVs given that the batteries are lithium based also.

• Informative x 1
  9. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

I've had the "last bit" take anything from a few minutes to an hour ... all depends on how much cell balancing is required. That last bit is probably not going to add significant range for that trip, but getting the cells balanced should mean that range-prediction is improved thereafter. It used to be a recommendation to do that once in a while for that reason (but that might be urban myth?)

But probably better to do it off home mains rather than sat at a Supercharger :)

Not sure if it is a bad idea to repeatedly charge to 99%, in order not to have to wait for the cell balancing ...