Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts about a future change.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure all of us have went into reverse only to find that the backup camera is covered in debris that prevents us from seeing a clear image. Now my minivan, Honda Odyssey, also has this issue and I hate it. How can we communicate to Tesla, I am not a twitter user, that maybe they need to implement a solution like how VW does it, the camera pops out of a lil compartment when you put it in reverse so when not in use it stays clean and clear. Thoughts?

Reactions: theeskimo
I am sure all of us have went into reverse only to find that the backup camera is covered in debris that prevents us from seeing a clear image. Now my minivan, Honda Odyssey, also has this issue and I hate it. How can we communicate to Tesla, I am not a twitter user, that maybe they need to implement a solution like how VW does it, the camera pops out of a lil compartment when you put it in reverse so when not in use it stays clean and clear. Thoughts?

I don't want another possible point-of-failure for anything on my car.

I seem to be finding quite a few lately and its frustrating.

Knowing my luck....the door won't open and the camera would smash into the door and break - thereby rendering my autopilot useless since autopilot requires that ALL cameras and sensors work.

the camera is not reserved for backing up. camera is used in conjunction with other sensors for the AP suite. effectively, it'll be exposed every minute except when parked. so no real gains,
Hmm, I wonder what AP does if the camera lens is blocked? It has been snowing a lot lately and my back up camera has been blocked for a few days if not at least a week now, but no warning indicator. That is why I thought AP doesn't use the back up camera.

I don't want another possible point-of-failure for anything on my car.

I seem to be finding quite a few lately and its frustrating.

Knowing my luck....the door won't open and the camera would smash into the door and break - thereby rendering my autopilot useless since autopilot requires that ALL cameras and sensors work.
Yeah, I thought about it being another point of failure but the risk is worth it. I don't think AP requires the back up camera to be view able. The others, yes, but the back up camera I doubt it.

Camera cleanliness is a glaring blind spot for Tesla (pun intended) if FSD is ever to become a reality.

Also, if the Cybertruck is ever to become a production vehicle, it will need a reliably clean rear camera since it has no rearview mirror and relies completely on the rear camera. (That is, unless the production design abandons the covered bed design to allow for permanent visibility out the rear window.)

One other potential solution for backup camera cleanliness (which is already in production on some vehicles) is to have a spray nozzle aimed directly at the camera lens that can spray it with wiper fluid when it gets dirty.

Camera cleanliness is a glaring blind spot for Tesla (pun intended) if FSD is ever to become a reality.

Also, if the Cybertruck is ever to become a production vehicle, it will need a reliably clean rear camera since it has no rearview mirror and relies completely on the rear camera. (That is, unless the production design abandons the covered bed design to allow for permanent visibility out the rear window.)

One other potential solution for backup camera cleanliness (which is already in production on some vehicles) is to have a spray nozzle aimed directly at the camera lens that can spray it with wiper fluid when it gets dirty.

FSD is already a reality.

Its just not a full reality yet.

Hmm, I wonder what AP does if the camera lens is blocked? It has been snowing a lot lately and my back up camera has been blocked for a few days if not at least a week now, but no warning indicator. That is why I thought AP doesn't use the back up camera.

the manual specifically lists the rear camera as a part of the AP.
of course, it complements the system, and is not the sole/primary source.
also, if your also sensors become clogged, you will notice interruption of AP service.

tesla website advises you can apply certain chemicals to keep the cameras a bit cleaner

How do vehicles with the 360 view work when they have a covered camera? When Tesla releases their 360 view it should be better then those simply because Tesla has extra sensors and cameras.

How do vehicles with the 360 view work when they have a covered camera? When Tesla releases their 360 view it should be better then those simply because Tesla has extra sensors and cameras.

I don't think we will ever get 360 view, at least not with the current hardware. From what I can tell, you would need a camera at the nose/front bumper of the car.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Our Buick (which we finally got back today after 95 days in the body shop - hurrah!) has a washer fluid nozzle over the rear cameras. (Yes, multiple. One wide angle, one narrow.) Very useful - when you spray washer fluid on the windshield, the rear camera gets a dose too. Smart, simple solution to a very real problem. Easy - Tesla should do this on all the cameras; I'm kinda surprised they didn't.

Edited to add... After a little over 3 months, and a dozen+ rental cars between home and work, I have a solid new appreciation for the Enclave. It's got a lot more tech and safety features than it gets credit for, and handles extremely well for a 7-passenger large vehicle. Very quiet interior, too.

Edited again to add:

Also, if the Cybertruck is ever to become a production vehicle, it will need a reliably clean rear camera since it has no rearview mirror and relies completely on the rear camera.

The Buick has this, as did my Cadillac before it. Both had the rear-washer-nozzle solution, and both work extremely well. I have zero (zero!) concerns about the rearview mirror solution in Cybertruck. I guess I'm lucky because we've had such a rearview mirror for ~4 years now, so it's not a foreign idea or concept... and in fact, is superior IN EVERY WAY to the current mirror-based solution. Wider viewing angle, clearer picture at night, no obstructions, no glare from the vehicles behind you ... completely a superior solution.

Last edited:
"FSD" bought before 1 March 2018: Absolute vaporware, not a reality as anything more than a line on the spec sheet.

"FSD" bought on or after 1 March 2018: Partial and Conditional But Always In Need of Supervision Self Driving, or PACBAINOSSD for short.

I think you mean 2019, but otherwise yeah.

Tesla can't release a 360 view since it's physically impossible.

The cameras are not the right type, or in the right location, to offer that.

None of the front cameras can see below the hood line for example.