Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts about Autopilot 2.0

How satisfied are you with Autopilot 2.0?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like playing the muted game of name that street (Redbud Trail - I haven't been on it for 6 months?) as much as the next person. But the mods may consider the same video in 4-5 threads as over posting...
Or you could just give me a suggestion when a video cuts across multiple threads? I want feedback so feel free to B-slap me... also as you may have noticed from the grating rap music and shaky camera... I’m a work in progress.... also new to internet forums beyond my 890 posts so go ahead and teach me proper nerd etiquette:).

Reactions: calisnow
Or you could just give me a suggestion when a video cuts across multiple threads? I want feedback so feel free to B-slap me... also as you may have noticed from the grating rap music and shaky camera... I’m a work in progress.... also new to internet forums beyond my 890 posts so go ahead and teach me proper nerd etiquette:).

Not sure, what is a Butter-Slap :)

I have a road for you to try, but I’m hoping I’ll get the new firmware soon.

Both directions -
Marked Location Google Maps

Jump around! Fun rap from long ago, fitting AP2.
This autumn, I used a loaner AP1 to the in laws. About 100 kms, 50 on divided highway. Had a few (3) aborts, pretty scary ones on hill tops where the car just drifted over in other lane or to the ditch.
My AP2, on .42 (good update) and .46 (small regression) had 20-something due to slopes, both minor and bigger ones.
Ap1 is not perfect, but still better than Ap2. Really hoping for a nice Christmas update.

This autumn, I used a loaner AP1 to the in laws. About 100 kms, 50 on divided highway. Had a few (3) aborts, pretty scary ones on hill tops where the car just drifted over in other lane or to the ditch.
My AP2, on .42 (good update) and .46 (small regression) had 20-something due to slopes, both minor and bigger ones.
Ap1 is not perfect, but still better than Ap2. Really hoping for a nice Christmas update.
Whoa, 2222 going downhill sucks with my car! AP2 Armageddon !! It just can’t handle the super blind hills while turning , going up was much better, like what you mentioned with AP1... would love to see AP1 car do that road going downhill.
You are getting Bee Jees unfortunately from earlier since I didn’t get the message until now ... I want to come back and do it at night

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
Not sure, what is a Butter-Slap :)

I have a road for you to try, but I’m hoping I’ll get the new firmware soon.

Both directions -
Marked Location Google Maps

OK Chief, per your request.... FM 2222 in Austin, Both Directions, Links to Both.... The video doesn't capture how scary this road is on autopilot. There is no room for error, I disengaged several times in certain portions due to how fast the turns approach with simultaneous changes in elevation and oncoming traffic.

If either of us play Dave Matthews, let's agree to collide on this road and spare our Teslas from streaming his creepy soothing music.

@daktari I like your videos! Where and how do you mount your camera? near your right ear from the roof? I like your vantage point a little better than mine. The slope challenge videos really sum up the next big step for autopilot.

@daktari I like your videos! Where and how do you mount your camera? near your right ear from the roof? I like your vantage point a little better than mine. The slope challenge videos really sum up the next big step for autopilot.
Thanks, I use a full size tripod in the rear seat, one leg in the seat and two on the floor. Camera is a Nikon 7100 DSLR with a wide angle 10-24 zoomed to around 20 mm. A bit unstable... Yes, camera is behind my right ear, so I try to lean left!

And agree with you, the video removes the feeling you get when the car throws you around or approaches a curve behind a comfortable point of braking.

Smoothing algorithms seem to be non-existent or written by a first grader who doesn't even know how to code. No normal human being changes lanes that quickly and the Tesla is dangerous to do it like that. I really don't understand how they could have such crappy software. And just for the record I have been a software engineer for over 30 years. I have had several false positives under bridges and overpasses where the car brakes hard enough to easily cause a rear end collision. On one freeway at night I was in the right hand lane of the freeway and within a 3-minute period, it tried to jerk the car off the freeway at two different exits. And when I say jerk I mean it really pulled hard and quickly to the right. This is downright dangerous and I thought they had solved this problem a long time ago. The lane markings were clear at the time. All of this AP 2.0 experience was in the model 3 by the way which I just sold. I also have a Model S and the algorithms for that old autopilot (AP 1) software are far superior and are very smooth and predictable for the most part. I'm kind of pissed off that Tesla decided to try to do everything in house and that because of some stupid spat with a company we are all suffering with an absolutely abysmal and shity version of autopilot. They should have just worked out whatever problems they had with mobileye and kept going with them. The problems that they are trying to solve must be extremely complex and multifaceted and to think that you are just going to hire a bunch of people and code that *sugar* quickly is ridiculous.

At the very least Tesla should be monitoring all breakaways from auto-steer and then replay the scenario back to themselves so they can see why someone decided that they didn't want to go flying off the freeway in a violent maneuver that the autopilot decided it was time to do RIGHT NOW!!!

I am on AP1.0 and felt miserable days after picking up my car and Elon announcing AP2.0 hardware in call cars. A year later, while I am happy to have a very functional AP1.0 car, I am disappointed Tesla hasn't made the progress in AP2.0 as they said they would. My point of posting on this thread is that when Model3s hit the road in volume with drivers like my wife double-click on the EAP wand, it BETTER function. Last thing you want my wife to do is babysit her Model3's erratic road manners, after dropping both kids at school. Tesla fanboy/techie-doodles like us can live through beta software and keep coming to forums, but most M3 users will be normal people who just want the buttons and sticks to function so they can get on with their lives.

So, my take on this is, and I am sure Tesla fully understands this, make EAP work rock solid with current AP2.0/2.5 by the time M3s are sold in volume - which should be 6-9 months from now. If that doesn't happen, Tesla (& us TSLA investors) will be in deep trouble.

I have a Model S AP 1 and it's buttery smooth compared to the model 3. I got my model 3 and drove it for 2,000 miles and just sold it. The autopilot was absolutely atrocious. I now have a new model S on order and I'm seriously considering cancelling it until they get their *sugar* together. If your smoothing algorithms seem to not even exist then what the **** how can you even put out such shity software?