Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts about Autopilot 2.0

How satisfied are you with Autopilot 2.0?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Smoothing algorithms seem to be non-existent or written by a first grader who doesn't even know how to code. No normal human being changes lanes that quickly and the Tesla is dangerous to do it like that. I really don't understand how they could have such crappy software. And just for the record I have been a software engineer for over 30 years. I have had several false positives under bridges and overpasses where the car brakes hard enough to easily cause a rear end collision. On one freeway at night I was in the right hand lane of the freeway and within a 3-minute period, it tried to jerk the car off the freeway at two different exits. And when I say jerk I mean it really pulled hard and quickly to the right. This is downright dangerous and I thought they had solved this problem a long time ago. The lane markings were clear at the time. All of this AP 2.0 experience was in the model 3 by the way which I just sold. I also have a Model S and the algorithms for that old autopilot (AP 1) software are far superior and are very smooth and predictable for the most part. I'm kind of pissed off that Tesla decided to try to do everything in house and that because of some stupid spat with a company we are all suffering with an absolutely abysmal and shity version of autopilot. They should have just worked out whatever problems they had with mobileye and kept going with them. The problems that they are trying to solve must be extremely complex and multifaceted and to think that you are just going to hire a bunch of people and code that *sugar* quickly is ridiculous.

At the very least Tesla should be monitoring all breakaways from auto-steer and then replay the scenario back to themselves so they can see why someone decided that they didn't want to go flying off the freeway in a violent maneuver that the autopilot decided it was time to do RIGHT NOW!!!
Did you report the instances to the Tesla engineering team? Send an email to ServiceHelpNA@tesla and describe what happened, time of day, and approx location that the event occurred.

Since you've been a software engineer for 'over 30 years', I assume you understand why this would be helpful. So I'm sure you did that. :)

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Someone presumably standing in line to reserve the 3, and waiting for two years, buying a $50k car and then selling it because they tried AP for a few minutes and didn't work to their satisfaction - and then coming in here as the first post to tell us that...

hmmm that story doesn't come out well.

I am struggling on waiting on Model 3 or get a 2016 used S, by reading so many negatives on Autopilot 2.0/2.5, should I consider used S then?

Let's put it this way: Do you like to babysit a toddler? Some hate the work but others think it's very rewarding and it's a joy!

That's what I think Autopilot is: A toddler who's driving my car!

All my passengers got panicky many times because it's too aggressive to close in the gap distance in front or it wouldn't brake in time when someone cuts me off or it can't handle some curves...

However, I have enjoyed it very much because most of the time, it does a very good job in simple scenarios which is very good for long distance driving which I do quite often.

Because I treat its competency as if it's a toddler's incompetency, I always got my hand(s) on the steering wheel and ready to brake as needed.

It's very seamless to me: When it steers in the wrong direction, my hands are already on the steering wheel to resist its wrong torque and steer it to the correct way. Again, those corrections are subconsciously reflexive and natural for me but my passengers do notice that and do get alarmed because I had to manually correct the imperfect system.

So it's up to you! You can save your money now and wait for a toddler to grow up to be a competent driver later or you can pay to babysit it now while it still grows up.

Last edited: