Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts about mud flaps (and their removal/re-install)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in August I purchased and installed mud flaps (the kind most of us have, like these -- at least I think that's the type most of us have).

I absolutely loved them. They looked great and they functioned well. In the three months I've had them on (and not having washed the car since), the sides of the car look much cleaner than a week or two without them before installing them.

I have an appointment starting tomorrow AM to get my car cleaned up and ceramic coated, so I figured I'd take them off so that they can clean and apply the coatings behind the mud flaps, then I'd reinstall them (I have a second pair of mudflaps because I mistakenly ordered two).

I have to say, removing them was one of the hardest things I've had to do on my Model 3 (and I've installed spacers, a spoiler, etc.). Those little clips that you use to hold them in place are an absolute pain-in-the-@$$ to remove, I actually hurt my elbow pretty bad in the process by slamming it against one of the wheels. They seem to be made for single-use, permanent attachment of the flaps. They don't work like the OEM ones where you pull out the center piece and the rest of it then comes out. These things are stuck in there real good. So there's no chance of reinstalling these if you take them off.

Secondly, there was so much dirt and mud behind the mud flaps (stuck between the mud flaps and the wheel well). I'm worried that this might cause corrosion. This makes me think that they should be removed occasionally to clean behind them. But no way to do that without completely destroying those fasteners and potentially damaging the wheel well liner.

So I had some thoughts... has anyone purchased a set of mud flaps that are easy to remove and re-install? Do they have better fasteners? I was also think that when I reinstall the new set, I might not use ANY of the fasteners and instead screw holes (you have to screw a hole in the font ones anyway). Unscrewing three screws on each mudfap would be a whole lot easier.

What do you think?

FWIW the trim clips that came with mine were easier to reuse than the OEM Tesla ones (though all those came out and are good for reuse too). They have a slot for a flat blade screwdriver to release the centre on both sides rather than just on one side like the originals. I had to remove one of the new ones since one of my kids was "helping" on the day of install. It was reused just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I suppose this is the reason to put some paint protection film under where the flap connects.

I'm happy with how my similar set is reducing road spray along the rockers and side of the car. It's not zero but much reduced. I guess I'll watch and wait. The yet to be released RallyArmor set wouldn't have this issue I think but for certain the RA will reduce range.

Back in August I purchased and installed mud flaps (the kind most of us have, like these -- at least I think that's the type most of us have).

I absolutely loved them. They looked great and they functioned well. In the three months I've had them on (and not having washed the car since), the sides of the car look much cleaner than a week or two without them before installing them.

I have an appointment starting tomorrow AM to get my car cleaned up and ceramic coated, so I figured I'd take them off so that they can clean and apply the coatings behind the mud flaps, then I'd reinstall them (I have a second pair of mudflaps because I mistakenly ordered two).

I have to say, removing them was one of the hardest things I've had to do on my Model 3 (and I've installed spacers, a spoiler, etc.). Those little clips that you use to hold them in place are an absolute pain-in-the-@$$ to remove, I actually hurt my elbow pretty bad in the process by slamming it against one of the wheels. They seem to be made for single-use, permanent attachment of the flaps. They don't work like the OEM ones where you pull out the center piece and the rest of it then comes out. These things are stuck in there real good. So there's no chance of reinstalling these if you take them off.

Secondly, there was so much dirt and mud behind the mud flaps (stuck between the mud flaps and the wheel well). I'm worried that this might cause corrosion. This makes me think that they should be removed occasionally to clean behind them. But no way to do that without completely destroying those fasteners and potentially damaging the wheel well liner.

So I had some thoughts... has anyone purchased a set of mud flaps that are easy to remove and re-install? Do they have better fasteners? I was also think that when I reinstall the new set, I might not use ANY of the fasteners and instead screw holes (you have to screw a hole in the font ones anyway). Unscrewing three screws on each mudfap would be a whole lot easier.

What do you think?

Correct. The moulded guards that wrap around onto the body will trap dirt, sand, water, salt etc. behind them. To prevent that issue I installed flat guards. They only contact the inside edge of the wheel well and don’t wrap around to the outside. I also used PPF where they contact the wheel well and spray a rust preventative into the seam. These ones are meant for summer and are not meant for winter or dirt roads. I have larger front ones not shown for that:

382BDFD1-0943-4170-88EC-7CAAC3B78C65.jpeg

573C14F8-E205-4DD5-ADEF-FE3ACBF35F28.jpeg

DDDB1ADF-7697-4F62-9A94-D135328A3E57.jpeg

@Rothgarr,

The question of the day on everyone’s mind is “how’s the paint behind/under the mud flaps”? Any scratching/wear?

Ski
No scratching/wear that I can tell (It's still very dirty, though). If there was any scratching, it would have been from be jiggling the flaps back and forth to try to get them off the car.

But I'm super happy with how effective they are at keeping the sides of the car clean.

Reactions: Skione65
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm a bit vain when it comes to the mudflaps, and I really do prefer the moulded-looking ones so I think I'm going to try to keep those rather than get the flat ones.

I think it's ll be better once I have the ceramic behind the new flaps, and I'm thinking of even putting some sort of weather stripping behind the flaps -- maybe that will keep all the mud and crap from going behind the flaps...

Any other options besides the moulded flaps that everyone has and all the flat ones? Anything on the horizon? I heard Tesla has a new set (I think front only?) but I'm not seeing them.

The RA flaps are out. I received mine and hope to have them installed soon.

Nice post a pic but if you can try to do an efficiency test. I have a feeling that these stick out enough to cause an affect in efficiency.

Also $200 with shipping sure is steep although I do know they are well made and would last as long as I want to keep the car, however long that might be.

One thing is for sure is that the RA flaps would set one's car apart from others.

tesla_rear.jpg

tesla_side2.jpg

No scratching/wear that I can tell (It's still very dirty, though). If there was any scratching, it would have been from be jiggling the flaps back and forth to try to get them off the car.

But I'm super happy with how effective they are at keeping the sides of the car clean.

@Rothgarr,

Did you PPF under the Flap outline (that’s my plan for install) or install on raw paint? Good news if the latter and even better news if the former.

Ski

I shared a similar sentiment to OP on another forum about these Chinesium junk flaps.

That said, the RallyArmor ones are waaaaay overpriced and not as plug-n-play as they should be for the price. I received mine a couple of days ago and tried mounting them. So far I have only mounted the fronts. For some reason I thought that the mounting bracket would bolt into the bottom two holes, but also would go under the fender lip. With the flap then bolting to the bracket it would sandwich the fender lip and sit securely. But no, the bracket goes parallel to the fender lip but does not secure to anything, relying on its own stiffness. It will likely bend and let road salt accumulate behind the flap, defeating the purpose.

I'd added another layer of stiff plastic between the bracket and the flap, to tuck behind the lip and bolted things in place. Seems to sit securely now. Also, the mounting solution for one of the lower holes is junk and does not sit tight. I need to think of what to do for that one.

So, all-in-all, given the significant modifications needed to have these RA flaps sit right, I don't think they are worth the $200 cost. You can buy generic PU flaps, cut them to your liking and DIY a bracket to hold the top of the flap in place securely on the fender lip. For much less than $200.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
Nice post a pic but if you can try to do an efficiency test. I have a feeling that these stick out enough to cause an affect in efficiency.

Also $200 with shipping sure is steep although I do know they are well made and would last as long as I want to keep the car, however long that might be.

One thing is for sure is that the RA flaps would set one's car apart from others.

tesla_rear.jpg

tesla_side2.jpg

Wonder how these would look on MCR? Any installs with photos yet?

Ski

I shared a similar sentiment to OP on another forum about these Chinesium junk flaps.

That said, the RallyArmor ones are waaaaay overpriced and not as plug-n-play as they should be for the price. I received mine a couple of days ago and tried mounting them. So far I have only mounted the fronts. For some reason I thought that the mounting bracket would bolt into the bottom two holes, but also would go under the fender lip. With the flap then bolting to the bracket it would sandwich the fender lip and sit securely. But no, the bracket goes parallel to the fender lip but does not secure to anything, relying on its own stiffness. It will likely bend and let road salt accumulate behind the flap, defeating the purpose.

I'd added another layer of stiff plastic between the bracket and the flap, to tuck behind the lip and bolted things in place. Seems to sit securely now. Also, the mounting solution for one of the lower holes is junk and does not sit tight. I need to think of what to do for that one.

So, all-in-all, given the significant modifications needed to have these RA flaps sit right, I don't think they are worth the $200 cost. You can buy generic PU flaps, cut them to your liking and DIY a bracket to hold the top of the flap in place securely on the fender lip. For much less than $200.

Trying to picture what you’re saying. Can you Post a few Photos?

Ski

Trying to picture what you’re saying. Can you Post a few Photos?

Ski
I only have one pic at the moment. May snap another over lunch.
aDLI8UE.jpg

I've circled mounting spots. Two OEM clip holes at the bottom and a clip that mounts to the liner. The top part of the bracket is not mounted to anything and relies on its stiffness to hold the flap.
See the mounted pic for the wedge I added, that goes between the flap and the bracket and under the fender lip.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: android04

Thanks for the thorough review, unfortunately they sound underwhelming especially given the price. $200 mud flaps should be dialed and not require home reengineering.

Wish you showed a pic of them removed before cleaning. I'd expect crap to get behind them, it's inventible.

Interesting those plastic rivets are so hard to get out.

One simple Idea. Put OEM Rivets back in (or after market).

Drill Pilot hole in the Rivet plug, off center.

Then use a Screw and washer into the Rivet plug. If it's offset center enough it should not rotate when removing.

One problem with this is, is it opens the gap between flap and the well liner allowing more crap to collect behind it.

What you could do is punch out the hole in the flap to the size of the rivet flange. That would make flap flush to well liner again. Then use a really large washer ;)

This is all reversible and who cares about a $30 set of flaps and some rivets.

Or find better reusable rivets, which might be hard to do. So much Chinese crap out there.

I just installed similar flaps on my Model X. They only use one rivet. But what's nice on the Model X is, it's all Plastic on Plastic. And only front flaps are really needed. But I suspect they are the same crappy rivets.