Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts about Tesla and their tire choice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got our Tesla Model X 90D delivered here in Florida in mid January.
After a few days we realized that the car has all season tires.
We talked to the SC and they told us all cars get the same tires and there is no way we could get summer tires.

My concern are for hot and wet climates:
All season tires are louder and less comfortable than summer tires!
Summer tires are more fuel efficient!
Summer tires handle wet streets (we get heavy rain often for months!) much better!
Summer tires offer more grip to the street at high temperatures!
Summer tires are highly recommended if the average day time temperature is above 40F-50F! Which happens 95% of the year here in Florida.

Those are just a few advantages of summer tires vs all season tires in climates like we have in Florida!

Shouldn't Tesla offer alternative tires for different climates? Florida is the state with the second highest sales numbers for Tesla in the US.
And I don't want to have to call roadside assistance because of a flat tire on a 95F day and a thunderstorm...

What do you think about their tire choice for every climate? Shouldn't they offer summer tires (or dedicated winter tires) for their cars depending where the car gets delivered?

Nope. I say let the customer change tires if they want. You're right that Summer Performance tires are the best for grip above 40 degrees. I don't know about lower rolling resistance though. I would guess All Seasons are better there.

There are just too many options out there for them to stock a whole bunch of tires for customers to choose from. Besides, they're a wear item. Just get your favorite tire after you wear these out. Or get some cool aftermarket wheels with your favorite tires and sell these to someone who lives up North and wants a spare set of wheels for their winter/snow set up.

I wish Tesla would install on the X the following tires:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. They are quiet, have great ratings and cost approx. $222 each in size 22.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-7_12-51-59.png
    upload_2017-2-7_12-51-59.png
    606 bytes · Views: 71
Reactions: FlyF4
Just to be clear... I hope nobody thinks the stock tires are good for snow. They are not. And since the stock tires don't last more than 15K miles (at least the rear ones) you won't have to worry about these stock tires for long.
I guess I should have said "To put some proper winter tires on." You're correct of course. The stock all seasons are only mediocre in the snow.

Just to be clear... I hope nobody thinks the stock tires are good for snow. They are not. And since the stock tires don't last more than 15K miles (at least the rear ones) you won't have to worry about these stock tires for long.

I have 15K on my 20" Conti-Silents and still have 7/32nds on all 4 tires. I also just got a chance to drive them in snow and ice and they handled quite well. They are also much quieter than the Michelin summer tires the car originally shipped with.

The Michelin tires are all season, not summer tires.
My car originally came with the Goodyear garbage and I said no.
They will be installing the Michelins in the Spring.
I think Tesla cheapened out by replacing the Michelins with the Low quality Goodyear tires on newer cars.
The Michelin Primacy tires are pretty good despite being al season. I have the Pirelli tires for Winter driving.

We got our Tesla Model X 90D delivered here in Florida in mid January.
After a few days we realized that the car has all season tires.
We talked to the SC and they told us all cars get the same tires and there is no way we could get summer tires.

All season tires are louder and less comfortable than summer tires!
Summer tires are more fuel efficient!
Summer tires handle wet streets (we get heavy rain often for months!) much better!
Summer tires offer more grip to the street at high temperatures!
Summer tires are highly recommended if the average day time temperature is above 40F-50F! Which happens 95% of the year here in Florida.

Those are just a few advantages of summer tires vs all season tires in climates like we have in Florida!

Shouldn't Tesla offer alternative tires for different climates? Florida is the state with the second highest sales numbers for Tesla in the US.
And I don't want to have to call roadside assistance because of a flat tire on a 95F day and a thunderstorm...

What do you think about their tire choice for every climate? Shouldn't they offer summer tires (or dedicated winter tires) for their cars depending where the car gets delivered?
you make valid points however the all seasons have served me well over the last 3+ years of ownership. if you are unhappy with the OEM tires get the summer tires and post your all season tires for sale.

I'm thinking about buying a Tesla Model X 90D in Florida

After a few days I realized that the car has heated seats, heated side mirrors, and heat enabled.

We talked to the SC and they told us all cars get the same HVAC and there is no way we could get AC only or ventilated seats instead of heated seats.

The use of heat significantly reduces range.
Extra wiring for heated seats and mirrors add weight
The complexity adds potential for failure and reliability issues.
Vented Seats would reduce humidity levels inside the cabin.

Air condition offers so much more comfort if the average day time temperature is above 40F-50F and sunny! Which happens 95% of the year here in Florida.

Shouldn't Tesla offer alternative HVAC and seats for different climates? Florida is the state with the second highest sales numbers for Tesla in the US.

What do you think about their seat and HVAC choice for every climate? Shouldn't they offer heated seats or vented seats for their cars depending where the car gets delivered?

- That's all I was thinking when I read it.

As a Tesla shareholder, no. No they shouldn't. Simplify the line and deliveries. Improve profits and efficiency.

As a Tesla buyer, I'm ok with the all seasons of which I am able to replace at will. Could you imagine waiting an extra week for your car so it could be tailored for your climate? Or how about having an overstock of cars for delivery in Boston and not being able to get a car in Florida because of tires? Forget about buying an inventory car..now $3000 delivery fee to account for the SC changing out tires during transportation

Reactions: SPtheALIEN
Just an FYI, the vented seats are just that, vented. They are NOT cooled by AC, just a fan that moves air.

While the heated seats, side mirrors etc. does add wiring weight, in regards to the use of heat reducing range, you do realize you don't have to turn it on don't you? :p;)

Got two sets of tires (at extra cost grmbl) One is the pirelli scorpion for the winter which performed nice so far on slough, ice and snow. Its level aaa in energy consumption and very silent. For summer they got me their standard allseason tires.
I wonder if they roll even smoother...

Reactions: goneskiian
My 20" Continentals have 16K miles on them and lots of tread left with even wear. Have you had your rear alignment checked?
Yes. It was off, but I'm having a dispute with Tesla about whether my tires wore out due to that misalignment or from the vehicle riding too much at "low" height, which wears out the tire inside edge. Perhaps the wear/alignment issue explains why I had such bad performance in snow with the stock tires. At any rate, if you're interested, there is another thread on tire wear with an extensive discussion of this ride height issue.