Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts after test driving Ioniq 5 from a Model 3 LR owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

While this isn't a comprehensive review, it's some initial thoughts from a 15-minute test drive. For comparison, I drive a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

On the weekend, I had the chance to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq 5. The weather was windy and snowy, not the best conditions, but living in Southwestern Ontario is reality.

We test drove the 2022 IONIQ 5 Preferred AWD Long Range. I was also shocked by the overall size. It is much bigger than the Model 3, and you sit much higher.

The AWD handles the blowing snow and winter conditions, including snowdrifts blowing on the roads. My wife and I were very impressed with the ride and comfort.

Here are a few things that I noted during the test drive.

• Depending on the steering wheel's position, it will block parts of the screen behind it.
  • The screen is laggy (compared to my Model 3)
  • The rear window does not have a wiper or spray nozzle for cleaning. Hyundai sales rep explains that the air will clean the back window. I know that marketing teaches the salespeople, but in all practicality, all the road dirt/snow/salt was very evident during our drive.
  • To adjust the regen, you toggle the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. This is a quick way to change the amount of regen. The car would accelerate (a short jump of speed) accordingly to your choice. The first time the Ioniq 5 briefly accelerated when I squeezed the + paddle, it was a little unnerving.

Dealership experience

While I let my dealership know my intent was to only test drive, I got the full dealership experience once again. I've owned 16 cars and have plenty of dealership horror stories that all came rushing back. I've owned two Model 3's in the last three years, so I am more than happy about sitting at home and clicking on the website to order my car. Thank you very much.

The salesperson for our test drive was super nice and tried his hardest to make us feel welcome. His knowledge of the car was less than ideal, and he told us some wrong information about the vehicle. While it wasn't a big deal as I came in very educated about the product, this is where dealerships fail. They think they are still selling gas-powered cars to customers that know more about their product than they do. After the test drive was over, we had to sit through the sales pitch, meet the manager, etc. Since leaving the dealership on Saturday, I have received two emails and one text from them. All three messages told me how important my business is, etc. One email from the manager asked why we didn't buy a car during our visit.

Conclusion

While this vehicle is excellent in almost every way, it will not replace my Model 3, but it could be an ideal replacement for my wife's hybrid when the lease is up. It's not as fast as the Model 3 and doesn't have neck-crushing acceleration, and that's OK. It's still zippier than any comparable gas-powered SUV in its class.

I can see this selling well, and while I don't think it's a threat for the Model Y or Model 3 sales, I can see it eating into sales over the Ford Mach-E and Volkswagen ID.4

We are also going to test drive the Kia EV6 shortly.

Ioniq 5 1.png

Ioniq 5 2.png

Ioniq 5 3.png

Sounds like a lot of people mention the dealer markup on the Ioniq 5. What if you go to a dealership and ask them to custom order an Ioniq 5 for you? Would you still be charged the same markup?
Yes, if they can they do. I tried to do exactly that (order from dealer) and the price quoted included a markup. I declined as there are A FEW dealers who don’t add a markup but do add dealer-add on accessories that are mandatory, the most common I‘ve seen is the nitrogen fill for the tires at an astounding $500. At least with the crap accessories you actually get something for the extra money.

And you cannot factory order. For whatever reason Hyundai isn’t doing this in the US. UK, Europe all good, but not in US and I don’t know about Canada. The best you can do is get on a dealer’s waitlist. When the dealer’s allocation is announced for shipment to them, they match waitlisted folks with the incoming cars. Some dealers put you on a waitlist for free, most want $500 or $1000 for this privilege. Some dealers even charge that fee as a non-refundable, others as a refundable deposit.

Crazy times.

Reactions: Hiline
Sounds like a lot of people mention the dealer markup on the Ioniq 5. What if you go to a dealership and ask them to custom order an Ioniq 5 for you? Would you still be charged the same markup?
Hyundai is also back logged until 2023 at least, so anything you order now will take minimum a year. Get on dealer waitlist is probably the quickest, but if you want the Limited trim that is extremely rare (I think less than 10% produced is Limited). So be prepared to pay over MSRP if you want Limited. SE not so much and should be plenty, don’t pay anything over MSRP.

Reactions: Hiline
While Tesla unfortunately has been increasing its prices - and maybe in some cases unreasonably even taking into account supply side problems - at least it is clear what you paying, and what you are paying for, when you order from them. I am tired of dealership games, markups and 'mandatory' accessories: Jerry Lundegaard (Fargo), "...they install that TruCoat at the factory, there is nothing we can do about it". The 'mandatory' nitrogen-filled tires for $500 mentioned above is absurd.

Reactions: cusetownusa
While Tesla unfortunately has been increasing its prices - and maybe in some cases unreasonably even taking into account supply side problems - at least it is clear what you paying, and what you are paying for, when you order from them. I am tired of dealership games, markups and 'mandatory' accessories: Jerry Lundegaard (Fargo), "...they install that TruCoat at the factory, there is nothing we can do about it". The 'mandatory' nitrogen-filled tires for $500 mentioned above is absurd.
Wait. The nitrogen filled tires wasn’t a joke?

Yes, if they can they do. I tried to do exactly that (order from dealer) and the price quoted included a markup. I declined as there are A FEW dealers who don’t add a markup but do add dealer-add on accessories that are mandatory, the most common I‘ve seen is the nitrogen fill for the tires at an astounding $500. At least with the crap accessories you actually get something for the extra money.

And you cannot factory order. For whatever reason Hyundai isn’t doing this in the US. UK, Europe all good, but not in US and I don’t know about Canada. The best you can do is get on a dealer’s waitlist. When the dealer’s allocation is announced for shipment to them, they match waitlisted folks with the incoming cars. Some dealers put you on a waitlist for free, most want $500 or $1000 for this privilege. Some dealers even charge that fee as a non-refundable, others as a refundable deposit.

Crazy times.
You are absolutely right. They are not doing it because they can sell everyone that comes in for a mark-up. The dealer in New Port Richey, FL has no markup, but you pay $2995 for the interior and exterior treatment. Dah. Hyundai says if you encounter unreasonable markups, call their customer service line. Don't waste an hour on that folly. The Korean lady answering the phone didn't know what the words "markup" or "market adjustment" meant and just kept trying to give me the name of the local dealer. Kam-sa-ham-ni-da, my ass.

• Funny
Reactions: Apprunner
That's absolutely hilarious. You can get free nitrogen fill ups any time you want 24/7 FREE from Costco. It's nutty the crap they are making up to take ppl's money. If they have to resort to this *sugar*, they are in denial that their line of work has a future.

Wait. The nitrogen filled tires wasn’t a joke?
No, not a joke sadly. The touted rationale is that nitrogen molecules are larger than the oxygen ones and don’t permeate (leak) through the rubber losing air pressure over time. Given that ambient air is 80% nitrogen anyway, a $500 nitrogen fill for this or maybe any reason is just ludicrous, unnecessary, and short-lived anyway. As weather chills for winter you’ll be adding air. For those of us with at-home compressors the nitrogen-only tires will be polluted with that nasty 19% or so oxygen and other gasses as few folks I know have nitrogen bottles at home. Just a money grab. One of my neighbors encountering the same “required” nitrogen fill for their new car told them to skip it and just charge her for it…but in return demanded a set of 4 mugs, a cap, and a T-shirt, to which the dealer finally acquiesced. At least she got something for this silliness.