Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts after test driving Ioniq 5 from a Model 3 LR owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

While this isn't a comprehensive review, it's some initial thoughts from a 15-minute test drive. For comparison, I drive a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

On the weekend, I had the chance to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq 5. The weather was windy and snowy, not the best conditions, but living in Southwestern Ontario is reality.

We test drove the 2022 IONIQ 5 Preferred AWD Long Range. I was also shocked by the overall size. It is much bigger than the Model 3, and you sit much higher.

The AWD handles the blowing snow and winter conditions, including snowdrifts blowing on the roads. My wife and I were very impressed with the ride and comfort.

Here are a few things that I noted during the test drive.

• Depending on the steering wheel's position, it will block parts of the screen behind it.
  • The screen is laggy (compared to my Model 3)
  • The rear window does not have a wiper or spray nozzle for cleaning. Hyundai sales rep explains that the air will clean the back window. I know that marketing teaches the salespeople, but in all practicality, all the road dirt/snow/salt was very evident during our drive.
  • To adjust the regen, you toggle the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. This is a quick way to change the amount of regen. The car would accelerate (a short jump of speed) accordingly to your choice. The first time the Ioniq 5 briefly accelerated when I squeezed the + paddle, it was a little unnerving.

Dealership experience

While I let my dealership know my intent was to only test drive, I got the full dealership experience once again. I've owned 16 cars and have plenty of dealership horror stories that all came rushing back. I've owned two Model 3's in the last three years, so I am more than happy about sitting at home and clicking on the website to order my car. Thank you very much.

The salesperson for our test drive was super nice and tried his hardest to make us feel welcome. His knowledge of the car was less than ideal, and he told us some wrong information about the vehicle. While it wasn't a big deal as I came in very educated about the product, this is where dealerships fail. They think they are still selling gas-powered cars to customers that know more about their product than they do. After the test drive was over, we had to sit through the sales pitch, meet the manager, etc. Since leaving the dealership on Saturday, I have received two emails and one text from them. All three messages told me how important my business is, etc. One email from the manager asked why we didn't buy a car during our visit.

Conclusion

While this vehicle is excellent in almost every way, it will not replace my Model 3, but it could be an ideal replacement for my wife's hybrid when the lease is up. It's not as fast as the Model 3 and doesn't have neck-crushing acceleration, and that's OK. It's still zippier than any comparable gas-powered SUV in its class.

I can see this selling well, and while I don't think it's a threat for the Model Y or Model 3 sales, I can see it eating into sales over the Ford Mach-E and Volkswagen ID.4

We are also going to test drive the Kia EV6 shortly.

Ioniq 5 1.png

Ioniq 5 2.png

Ioniq 5 3.png

Why Ioniq 5 over Kia EV6?
Less room in The EV 6.
The EV6 is more sporty and looks like a kids car.
I like the styling of the IONIQ 5 better.
Too much piano black and we know the end of that story.
Full glass roof on Limited IONIQ 5 with cool dual shades that meet in the middle
Like the wheels on the IONIQ 5 Limited better.

Reactions: Nrvna76
My son is on the way down from NY with my new Ioniq 5. He says he likes it better than my Model Y. Will see and report here.

I will probably take my MYP off of HOLD, get it delivered, compare the two, and keep the one I like the best, realizing the Ioniq 5 is $20k less before $7500 tax credit.

I understand you can now reconfigure your Tesla order (in the US) and maintain your original price.

Watch this space.

View attachment 785296View attachment 785297
How can you reconfigure your Tesla order? I don't see it in my account.

My son is on the way down from NY with my new Ioniq 5. He says he likes it better than my Model Y. Will see and report here.

I will probably take my MYP off of HOLD, get it delivered, compare the two, and keep the one I like the best, realizing the Ioniq 5 is $20k less before $7500 tax credit.

I understand you can now reconfigure your Tesla order (in the US) and maintain your original price.

Watch this space.

View attachment 785296View attachment 785297

Wait - it looks like that car is charging somewhere. From what I read on these forums - it’s not possible to charge a non- Tesla EV. Is that picture a fake?

• Funny
Reactions: sckor and Zer0t
Thanks to whoever posted this.
Today, I got this nice toy from Amazon that will will let me charge my IONIQ 5 from my TESLA cable. This forum is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 785356View attachment 785357View attachment 785358
If that is the Lectron, i hear its not fully compatible. You may have to let it time out and then start the car and then it communicates. The forums say the Tesla Tap Mini doesn't have these issues.

Let us know if it works perfectly well.

@theocguy If sharing an EVSE between a Tesla and non-Tesla EV I would still go with a Tesla Wall Connector (hereafter TWC).
  • Either way you're stuck using an adapter for one car.
  • TWC is cheaper than any name-brand 48A charging / 60A circuit J1772 EVSE I've come across. Only sketchy no-name ones are as cheap, from what I've seen.
  • TWC has pretty flexible power sharing. None of the home/consumer oriented J1772 EVSE I looked at mentioned any support for power sharing. If you later want to install a 2nd EVSE and need to share power between them, TWC seems by far the best option for the price.
    • This is actually very important for me, I'm considering replace a single NEMA 14-50 with 2x power sharing TWC soon.
    • I assume commercial J1772 EVSE systems aimed at business parking lot deployments have good power sharing capabilities...
  • The Tesla charge handle button is very convenient for older Tesla where you can't push the charge port door to open it. (This is the case for my Model S. Probably not an issue for any Model 3 or Y.)

On the downside I don't think any non-Tesla EV comes with a Tesla->J1772 adapter, so you'll have to buy that too, but personally I was going to buy one anyways if I bought a non-Tesla EV. (Which I almost did last fall before cancelling and buying a Model 3 instead. So now we're 2x Tesla.)
I haven't priced them lately - when I got mine they were essentially the same cost, but if the Tesla one is cheaper then I completely agree. Plus the button to open the charge port is really handy.

If that is the Lectron, i hear its not fully compatible. You may have to let it time out and then start the car and then it communicates. The forums say the Tesla Tap Mini doesn't have these issues.

Let us know if it works perfectly well.
I bought both the TeslaTap (40 amp) and the Lectron and could never get the Lectron to work. No problems with the Teslatap. Returned the Lectron. Just FYI. I have a normal Tesla home charger (Gen 2).

Also, you're going to love your Ioniq 5!

I bought both the TeslaTap (40 amp) and the Lectron and could never get the Lectron to work. No problems with the Teslatap. Returned the Lectron. Just FYI. I have a normal Tesla home charger (Gen 2).

I bet I would...if I could find one to buy right now :D

It will be for the wife and for family trips. Seems better suited than my M3P for that :D

Got the Lectron to charge the Ioniq 5, however it causes the dash reading to be less than the actual mile range. Like 199 instead of 256. The % indicator still reads 100% and the miles adjust as it empties. Squirrely. I see the Tesla Tap is no longer available on Amazon and the lowest price I saw was $256. for the 60 amp and $199 for the 40 amp. Would the different amperage affect the charging time. They also make an 80 amp for $299. Suggestions as to which one to purchase?

Charging straight off of the Tesla Cable from a 220V wall.

I think the model 3 and Y are ugly. I'd go for the Kia EV6.
The IONIQ 5 looks like an interesting vehicle. Overall, I think that the drivetrain and battery technology still lags a bit behind Tesla, but it is still pretty good. I will be very interested to see how Hyundai further develops their EVs.

As far as styling though - I don't care much for the IONIQ, while acknowledging that is purely subjective. I also really dislike the Ford Mach E. Tesla styling is more to my taste (with the big exception of the Cybertruck, which I dislike more than any other vehicle that has ever existed:)).

Reactions: cusetownusa
The IONIQ 5 looks like an interesting vehicle. Overall, I think that the drivetrain and battery technology still lags a bit behind Tesla, but it is still pretty good. I will be very interested to see how Hyundai further develops their EVs.

As far as styling though - I don't care much for the IONIQ, while acknowledging that is purely subjective. I also really dislike the Ford Mach E. Tesla styling is more to my taste (with the big exception of the Cybertruck, which I dislike more than any other vehicle that has ever existed:)).
Before I get a chance to do a complete review, I think I may have found a game-changer. Drove home with lane assist today and is truly a lane assist and nothing like auto-pilot. You genuinely cannot trust it for even a split second. Anyone who is accustomed to Tesla, could not safely use it. I went into the grass today and have had a couple of close calls. More to follow....................