Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts after test driving Ioniq 5 from a Model 3 LR owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

While this isn't a comprehensive review, it's some initial thoughts from a 15-minute test drive. For comparison, I drive a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

On the weekend, I had the chance to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq 5. The weather was windy and snowy, not the best conditions, but living in Southwestern Ontario is reality.

We test drove the 2022 IONIQ 5 Preferred AWD Long Range. I was also shocked by the overall size. It is much bigger than the Model 3, and you sit much higher.

The AWD handles the blowing snow and winter conditions, including snowdrifts blowing on the roads. My wife and I were very impressed with the ride and comfort.

Here are a few things that I noted during the test drive.

• Depending on the steering wheel's position, it will block parts of the screen behind it.
  • The screen is laggy (compared to my Model 3)
  • The rear window does not have a wiper or spray nozzle for cleaning. Hyundai sales rep explains that the air will clean the back window. I know that marketing teaches the salespeople, but in all practicality, all the road dirt/snow/salt was very evident during our drive.
  • To adjust the regen, you toggle the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. This is a quick way to change the amount of regen. The car would accelerate (a short jump of speed) accordingly to your choice. The first time the Ioniq 5 briefly accelerated when I squeezed the + paddle, it was a little unnerving.

Dealership experience

While I let my dealership know my intent was to only test drive, I got the full dealership experience once again. I've owned 16 cars and have plenty of dealership horror stories that all came rushing back. I've owned two Model 3's in the last three years, so I am more than happy about sitting at home and clicking on the website to order my car. Thank you very much.

The salesperson for our test drive was super nice and tried his hardest to make us feel welcome. His knowledge of the car was less than ideal, and he told us some wrong information about the vehicle. While it wasn't a big deal as I came in very educated about the product, this is where dealerships fail. They think they are still selling gas-powered cars to customers that know more about their product than they do. After the test drive was over, we had to sit through the sales pitch, meet the manager, etc. Since leaving the dealership on Saturday, I have received two emails and one text from them. All three messages told me how important my business is, etc. One email from the manager asked why we didn't buy a car during our visit.

Conclusion

While this vehicle is excellent in almost every way, it will not replace my Model 3, but it could be an ideal replacement for my wife's hybrid when the lease is up. It's not as fast as the Model 3 and doesn't have neck-crushing acceleration, and that's OK. It's still zippier than any comparable gas-powered SUV in its class.

I can see this selling well, and while I don't think it's a threat for the Model Y or Model 3 sales, I can see it eating into sales over the Ford Mach-E and Volkswagen ID.4

We are also going to test drive the Kia EV6 shortly.

Ioniq 5 1.png

Ioniq 5 2.png

Ioniq 5 3.png

Thanks for the feedback. I have Ioniq 5 Limited on order but still debating. It is more directly competition with Model Y than 3, given the size, height and interior space. Since you are in snowy area, I found this review might be relevant to you.

Whatever Hyundai sales person said about rear windshield is an absolute lie. Just look at this picture after both cars driving in the exact condition. It is pretty dangerous I would say (not even mention car crashed...).

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 10.20.03 AM.png

If I was a 'never Tesla' buyer and it was a choice between this or a Mach-E, I'd take this without even test driving it.
I love the way the Ioniq 5 looks on the outside, but the Mach-E is significantly better inside IMO. We have a '21 Mach-E GT and have absolutely zero complaints and bought without test driving or even seeing the color in person (Cyber Orange)

• Informative
Reactions: YBLee and sleepydoc
Thanks for the response, curious on how the mach-e is "significantly" better then the Ioniq 5?
This is all my opinion of course
  1. Mach-E seats are miles better (at least GT with "suede" inserts)
  2. Mach-E has more storage between the front seats
  3. i5 screen(s) look terrible to me, the bezels are massive
  4. i5 has an open space on the floor between front seats, which is a terrible design IMO since stuff could roll from the passenger side into the pedal area
The i5 has ventilated seats though which is a huge win.

This is all my opinion of course
  1. Mach-E seats are miles better (at least GT with "suede" inserts)
  2. Mach-E has more storage between the front seats
  3. i5 screen(s) look terrible to me, the bezels are massive
  4. i5 has an open space on the floor between front seats, which is a terrible design IMO since stuff could roll from the passenger side into the pedal area
The i5 has ventilated seats though which is a huge win.
I agree with 2, 3 and 4. I read the white bezels are going away in favour of black. However, anything is better than a portrait screen with a plastic volume knob. With a volume control readily available on the steering wheel, this is Ford trying to be different for the sake of being different.

Thanks for the feedback. I have Ioniq 5 Limited on order but still debating. It is more directly competition with Model Y than 3, given the size, height and interior space. Since you are in snowy area, I found this review might be relevant to you.

Whatever Hyundai sales person said about rear windshield is an absolute lie. Just look at this picture after both cars driving in the exact condition. It is pretty dangerous I would say (not even mention car crashed...).

View attachment 780690
Awesome pic, I'm curious if rear defroster was turned on...

I love the way the Ioniq 5 looks on the outside, but the Mach-E is significantly better inside IMO. We have a '21 Mach-E GT and have absolutely zero complaints and bought without test driving or even seeing the color in person (Cyber Orange)
Considering all the teething issues I'm seeing in the Mach-E forums, I'm glad it's working out for you so far.

For me, I put a lot of weight on the software, thermal, and electrical design as they can make or break an EV. It's the difference between successful vs failed OTAs or successfully completing a trip vs getting stranded along the way. I just don't see the Mach-E as being strong enough in those areas. The feeling I get is they bit off more than they can chew.

I have a better feeling about Hyundai. They make solid cars and I don't get the feeling they're trying to 'outdo' Tesla even though they're obviously competing in the same market. Ford came out swinging and missed quite a few punches. Time will tell.

View attachment 780690
It is not clear to me if I5 was sitting, with defrost in off position, for a while waiting for Model Y to complete test runs. Any idea?

Hi everyone,

While this isn't a comprehensive review, it's some initial thoughts from a 15-minute test drive. For comparison, I drive a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

On the weekend, I had the chance to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq 5. The weather was windy and snowy, not the best conditions, but living in Southwestern Ontario is reality.

We test drove the 2022 IONIQ 5 Preferred AWD Long Range. I was also shocked by the overall size. It is much bigger than the Model 3, and you sit much higher.

The AWD handles the blowing snow and winter conditions, including snowdrifts blowing on the roads. My wife and I were very impressed with the ride and comfort.

Here are a few things that I noted during the test drive.

• Depending on the steering wheel's position, it will block parts of the screen behind it.
  • The screen is laggy (compared to my Model 3)
  • The rear window does not have a wiper or spray nozzle for cleaning. Hyundai sales rep explains that the air will clean the back window. I know that marketing teaches the salespeople, but in all practicality, all the road dirt/snow/salt was very evident during our drive.
  • To adjust the regen, you toggle the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. This is a quick way to change the amount of regen. The car would accelerate (a short jump of speed) accordingly to your choice. The first time the Ioniq 5 briefly accelerated when I squeezed the + paddle, it was a little unnerving.

Dealership experience

While I let my dealership know my intent was to only test drive, I got the full dealership experience once again. I've owned 16 cars and have plenty of dealership horror stories that all came rushing back. I've owned two Model 3's in the last three years, so I am more than happy about sitting at home and clicking on the website to order my car. Thank you very much.

The salesperson for our test drive was super nice and tried his hardest to make us feel welcome. His knowledge of the car was less than ideal, and he told us some wrong information about the vehicle. While it wasn't a big deal as I came in very educated about the product, this is where dealerships fail. They think they are still selling gas-powered cars to customers that know more about their product than they do. After the test drive was over, we had to sit through the sales pitch, meet the manager, etc. Since leaving the dealership on Saturday, I have received two emails and one text from them. All three messages told me how important my business is, etc. One email from the manager asked why we didn't buy a car during our visit.

Conclusion

While this vehicle is excellent in almost every way, it will not replace my Model 3, but it could be an ideal replacement for my wife's hybrid when the lease is up. It's not as fast as the Model 3 and doesn't have neck-crushing acceleration, and that's OK. It's still zippier than any comparable gas-powered SUV in its class.

I can see this selling well, and while I don't think it's a threat for the Model Y or Model 3 sales, I can see it eating into sales over the Ford Mach-E and Volkswagen ID.4

We are also going to test drive the Kia EV6 shortly.

View attachment 780671

View attachment 780672

View attachment 780673
We own both the Model 3 and Ioniq 5 SE. love them both for what they are. The I5 is a little more comfortable coming from a Pilot.

The Hyundai dealership experience was much more painful and I probably would have ordered an SEL instead if not for the excellent sales job. (Bird in Hand) I agree with the comment about lack of knowledge. The funniest part was the finance guy working the upsell. The first item on the list was $6,000+ maintenance package covering oil changes, tune ups, fluid checks, etc. I just laughed. “You realize you’re trying to sell me a maintenance package on a car that essentially needs no maintenance. “

Walking into the dealership was a blast from 1980's.
I remember the cheap (not cheap as inexpensive, but cheap as in cheap) cars Hyundai peddled in the late 80s (that infamous $4995 Excel) and early 90s. Horrible, but built to a price and there was a ton of demand. They were nearly as plentiful then as compact SUVs are today, but they didn't stick around long.
Common wisdom at the time was if you wanted a car that would last until it was paid off, you buy Japanese and get it rustproofed.

Hyundai's quality has come a helluva long way since those days and the Ioniq is probably a good entry-to-mid-level EV that isn't quite as much of a radical departure from traditional ICE vehicles as a Tesla (S/X yoke, 3/Y with only the center screen).

But like the poster before me, I can't get past the styling.

I remember the cheap (not cheap as inexpensive, but cheap as in cheap) cars Hyundai peddled in the late 80s (that infamous $4995 Excel) and early 90s. Horrible, but built to a price and there was a ton of demand. They were nearly as plentiful then as compact SUVs are today, but they didn't stick around long.
Common wisdom at the time was if you wanted a car that would last until it was paid off, you buy Japanese and get it rustproofed.

Hyundai's quality has come a helluva long way since those days and the Ioniq is probably a good entry-to-mid-level EV that isn't quite as much of a radical departure from traditional ICE vehicles as a Tesla (S/X yoke, 3/Y with only the center screen).

But like the poster before me, I can't get past the styling.
I used to have a RWD Pony.

Hyundai Pony - Wikipedia

IMO the Ioniq is one of the ugliest cars on the road, but to each their own.....
It has a different look and I could get used to it. The big points for me are that it's 100% electric, has AWD and a solar panel option in some markets. I hope they make the solar panel option available everywhere. For me there would regularly be opportunities for the car to be outside, exposed to the sun so it could get a few miles of extra range.

I'm looking forward to a solar panel option on the Tesla Model Y too...may be Tesla will come out with that soon, I hope.

Reactions: Spencer35

View attachment 780690
Yeah, one look at the rear window design and I can tell you it needs a rear wiper. Big design oversight there - I bet they fix it in future models.
Considering all the teething issues I'm seeing in the Mach-E forums, I'm glad it's working out for you so far.

For me, I put a lot of weight on the software, thermal, and electrical design as they can make or break an EV. It's the difference between successful vs failed OTAs or successfully completing a trip vs getting stranded along the way. I just don't see the Mach-E as being strong enough in those areas. The feeling I get is they bit off more than they can chew.

I have a better feeling about Hyundai. They make solid cars and I don't get the feeling they're trying to 'outdo' Tesla even though they're obviously competing in the same market. Ford came out swinging and missed quite a few punches. Time will tell.
Agreed. Hyundai has come a long way and their build quality and reliability are quite good now. not to mention they've been in the EV game longer than Ford has. I would absolutely go with a Hyundai before a Ford EV.

OP: Thanks for the comparison. I think Model Y would be a better comparison than the model 3. I agree on the dealer, too. Tesla may have some issues with it's service centers, but I don't miss the whole dealer 'experience.'