Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts after test driving Ioniq 5 from a Model 3 LR owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

While this isn't a comprehensive review, it's some initial thoughts from a 15-minute test drive. For comparison, I drive a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

On the weekend, I had the chance to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq 5. The weather was windy and snowy, not the best conditions, but living in Southwestern Ontario is reality.

We test drove the 2022 IONIQ 5 Preferred AWD Long Range. I was also shocked by the overall size. It is much bigger than the Model 3, and you sit much higher.

The AWD handles the blowing snow and winter conditions, including snowdrifts blowing on the roads. My wife and I were very impressed with the ride and comfort.

Here are a few things that I noted during the test drive.

• Depending on the steering wheel's position, it will block parts of the screen behind it.
  • The screen is laggy (compared to my Model 3)
  • The rear window does not have a wiper or spray nozzle for cleaning. Hyundai sales rep explains that the air will clean the back window. I know that marketing teaches the salespeople, but in all practicality, all the road dirt/snow/salt was very evident during our drive.
  • To adjust the regen, you toggle the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. This is a quick way to change the amount of regen. The car would accelerate (a short jump of speed) accordingly to your choice. The first time the Ioniq 5 briefly accelerated when I squeezed the + paddle, it was a little unnerving.

Dealership experience

While I let my dealership know my intent was to only test drive, I got the full dealership experience once again. I've owned 16 cars and have plenty of dealership horror stories that all came rushing back. I've owned two Model 3's in the last three years, so I am more than happy about sitting at home and clicking on the website to order my car. Thank you very much.

The salesperson for our test drive was super nice and tried his hardest to make us feel welcome. His knowledge of the car was less than ideal, and he told us some wrong information about the vehicle. While it wasn't a big deal as I came in very educated about the product, this is where dealerships fail. They think they are still selling gas-powered cars to customers that know more about their product than they do. After the test drive was over, we had to sit through the sales pitch, meet the manager, etc. Since leaving the dealership on Saturday, I have received two emails and one text from them. All three messages told me how important my business is, etc. One email from the manager asked why we didn't buy a car during our visit.

Conclusion

While this vehicle is excellent in almost every way, it will not replace my Model 3, but it could be an ideal replacement for my wife's hybrid when the lease is up. It's not as fast as the Model 3 and doesn't have neck-crushing acceleration, and that's OK. It's still zippier than any comparable gas-powered SUV in its class.

I can see this selling well, and while I don't think it's a threat for the Model Y or Model 3 sales, I can see it eating into sales over the Ford Mach-E and Volkswagen ID.4

We are also going to test drive the Kia EV6 shortly.

Ioniq 5 1.png

Ioniq 5 2.png

Ioniq 5 3.png

Would you mind to provide additional information about the "generic charger" such as brand and model? we have not installed any EV chargers yet but would like to go with generic if we end up to have 2 EVs under 2 different brands/mfgs. Of course, if we get MYLR and M3LR, then we will install one Tesla charger at home and will take turn to charge each car.
We have a Clipper Creek charger (primarily because it lets us use our utility’s off peak charging program.) Others I’ve seen mentioned favorably are Grizzele, JuiceBox, and ChargePoint. I have no experience with any of them to recommend them or not. When I looked, the prices were comparable to Tesla’s charger but that may have changed as well.

Evsadapters.com has Tesla to J1772 adapters: Tesla to J1772 Adapter – EVSE Adapters

You get a J1772-Tesla adapter with your car. Tesla sells them for $50 on their store: SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

I’d also check with your utility and see if they have any discounted charging programs like ours did, since that may help your decision.

THIS IS WHY no one, as in NO ONE puts solar panels on a car, and probably never will. And if they do, it will be mainly for looks.
Not quite "no one".

80kWh battery
Off a single charge, the battery will provide up to 300 miles.
Announced last year and revealed at CES 2020 in Los Angeles in early January, the Fisker Ocean electric SUV will boast a full-length solar roof which will feed into the vehicles battery and provide “1,000 free, clean miles per year.”
Putting that all together the marketing speak from March 2020 maps to 80*1000/300 => 266 kWh / yr.

Today, their website grows that a bit
1500 clean, emissions-free miles per year, and under ideal conditions may increase to beyond 2000 miles*
* BASED ON FISKER SIMULATIONS. IDEAL CONDITIONS ASSUME SOLAR IRRADIATION OF 5.4 KWH/M2/DAY AND STEADY COMMUTER DRIVING. ACTUAL RESULTS VARY WITH CONDITIONS SUCH AS EXTERNAL ENVIRONMENT AND VEHICLE USE.

So being generous the marketing speak is now up to 532 kWh / yr.

Even at a ridiculous $0.50 / kWh, that's only $266.

If you have the car 10 years and manage to meet the marketing speak upper limit, it's worth $2,660.

Now how much did the weight difference cost you in efficiency?

Reactions: SO16
Not quite "no one".

Putting that all together the marketing speak from March 2020 maps to 80*1000/300 => 266 kWh / yr.

Today, their website grows that a bit

So being generous the marketing speak is now up to 532 kWh / yr.

Even at a ridiculous $0.50 / kWh, that's only $266.

If you have the car 10 years and manage to meet the marketing speak upper limit, it's worth $2,660.

Now how much did the weight difference cost you in efficiency?
I prefer to keep my car undercover...the 1000 free miles of electricity won’t cover the cost of my paint fading

What’s the rate for the super chargers and what do you pay at home? I get a 40% discount from my utility for off peak charging so home charging is significantly cheaper public charging stations. You also need to factor in convenience. If it’s free but you end up wasting 45-60 minutes every time you need to charge your car then it’s not really free and the savings get eaten up pretty quickly.
Most travels are within my M3’s range out and back so charging at home @$0.11/kwh works very well. No TOD rates available. Didn’t mean to imply I use local Superchargers or that I’d use local EA chargers, just that they’re everywhere yet.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Would you mind to provide additional information about the "generic charger" such as brand and model? we have not installed any EV chargers yet but would like to go with generic if we end up to have 2 EVs under 2 different brands/mfgs. Of course, if we get MYLR and M3LR, then we will install one Tesla charger at home and will take turn to charge each car.
@theocguy If sharing an EVSE between a Tesla and non-Tesla EV I would still go with a Tesla Wall Connector (hereafter TWC).
  • Either way you're stuck using an adapter for one car.
  • TWC is cheaper than any name-brand 48A charging / 60A circuit J1772 EVSE I've come across. Only sketchy no-name ones are as cheap, from what I've seen.
  • TWC has pretty flexible power sharing. None of the home/consumer oriented J1772 EVSE I looked at mentioned any support for power sharing. If you later want to install a 2nd EVSE and need to share power between them, TWC seems by far the best option for the price.
    • This is actually very important for me, I'm considering replace a single NEMA 14-50 with 2x power sharing TWC soon.
    • I assume commercial J1772 EVSE systems aimed at business parking lot deployments have good power sharing capabilities...
  • The Tesla charge handle button is very convenient for older Tesla where you can't push the charge port door to open it. (This is the case for my Model S. Probably not an issue for any Model 3 or Y.)

On the downside I don't think any non-Tesla EV comes with a Tesla->J1772 adapter, so you'll have to buy that too, but personally I was going to buy one anyways if I bought a non-Tesla EV. (Which I almost did last fall before cancelling and buying a Model 3 instead. So now we're 2x Tesla.)

My Point: Coming to a theater near you.

View attachment 783847

Also, I charge less than once a month at a public charger, even though I have free charging at Tesla chargers. They aren't made for daily charging. I top off at home nightly for less than $1 a night.
The headline is five years old.......and with that push, we have one EA station in Minnesota. I like to travel around the state, so lack of EA type service in the state makes other EVs not a good solution.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Friends don’t let friends drive Priuses

When gas was cheap. Sure. Prius is the hot stuff now with today's gas prices.

I picked up a Prius Prime for my wife last year (and
my girl's car in the future), got rid of her Toyota Rav4EV. Did not want to pay $12k to replace the Tesla EV motor when it dies from leaking coolant into it.... out of warranty.

I got it $7500 off MSRP for a fully loaded one. Paid $24k before tax, after $4502 Government handouts.

They are sold for $2500 over MSRP now. I guess I could sell it for $35k if my wife lets me.

Paid $2000 and installed Comma.ai3 (open pilot). I actually like this better than enhanced autopilot. Basically the best of autopilot and super cruise.

I think this ugly duck might last longer than a M3 coming off the lot today. And might have value come 2035 in my state of Kalifornia.

My son is on the way down from NY with my new Ioniq 5. He says he likes it better than my Model Y. Will see and report here.

I will probably take my MYP off of HOLD, get it delivered, compare the two, and keep the one I like the best, realizing the Ioniq 5 is $20k less before $7500 tax credit.

I understand you can now reconfigure your Tesla order (in the US) and maintain your original price.

Watch this space.

3349.jpeg3456.jpeg

My son is on the way down from NY with my new Ioniq 5. He says he likes it better than my Model Y. Will see and report here.

I will probably take my MYP off of HOLD, get it delivered, compare the two, and keep the one I like the best, realizing the Ioniq 5 is $20k less before $7500 tax credit.

I understand you can now reconfigure your Tesla order (in the US) and maintain your original price.

Watch this space.

View attachment 785296View attachment 785297
Why Ioniq 5 over Kia EV6?