Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts and questions on delivery and quality control - help please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a smooth experience with Tesla from ordering to receiving my VIN to the delivery date. Even though I had to call about 10x at the Mt Kisco SC before anyone picked up (since I wanted to change my delivery date), I was overall relieved that my customer service experience was, so far, smooth. I had read on Reddit that others had trouble even getting anybody on the phone, and some were waiting on a VIN for many weeks and even months with no updates.

My delivery was a few days ago. I went to Mt Kisco, NY to pick up my new car. I've never purchased a Tesla before, so needless to say I was super excited.

I've been reading Reddit prior to delivery and read that Tesla's quality control is not very good. So on delivery day, I was looking out for some of the common panel gaps and paint chips. I noticed some panel gaps, alignment issues, and paint scratches. The Tesla advisor told me all the panel gaps and alignment issues were within spec; as for the paint scratch, he said he will document it so it can get fixed during the next service appointment. So here are some of my questions, and I hope some of you will be able to help me with that.

First, I noticed the car had 48 miles on the odometer. Is that normal for a new Tesla?

Secondly, could you guys take a look at these panel gaps for me? Are these normal?

Pictures: Tesla Model 3

Lastly, thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it. I apologize if this issue has been posted a bunch of times here. I'm still learning and browsing these forums.

Happy Holidays!

(For those curious, my VIN is 854xxx and I purchased a SR+.)

I had a smooth experience with Tesla from ordering to receiving my VIN to the delivery date. Even though I had to call about 10x at the Mt Kisco SC before anyone picked up (since I wanted to change my delivery date), I was overall relieved that my customer service experience was, so far, smooth. I had read on Reddit that others had trouble even getting anybody on the phone, and some were waiting on a VIN for many weeks and even months with no updates.

My delivery was a few days ago. I went to Mt Kisco, NY to pick up my new car. I've never purchased a Tesla before, so needless to say I was super excited.

I've been reading Reddit prior to delivery and read that Tesla's quality control is not very good. So on delivery day, I was looking out for some of the common panel gaps and paint chips. I noticed some panel gaps, alignment issues, and paint scratches. The Tesla advisor told me all the panel gaps and alignment issues were within spec; as for the paint scratch, he said he will document it so it can get fixed during the next service appointment. So here are some of my questions, and I hope some of you will be able to help me with that.

First, I noticed the car had 48 miles on the odometer. Is that normal for a new Tesla?

Secondly, could you guys take a look at these panel gaps for me? Are these normal?

Lastly, thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it. I apologize if this issue has been posted a bunch of times here. I'm still learning and browsing these forums.

Happy Holidays!

With gaps, try to look at both sides for symmetry and if it's a door, look at the other side as well. So, if one side, handle-side, the gap seems wide, look at the other side, hinge-side, to see if it's narrow. Plus, with door gaps, look whether the gap is same width at top vs bottom.

Having said that, the A-pillar gaps look normal. Trunk light gap, compare to other side. Could be adjusted. Sometimes the lights themselves are a little loose.

Oh, I see. Thank you!

I took a look and the panel gap of the passenger and rear door is definitely a lot wider on the right side. However, the width from top to bottom seems even. The gap on the taillight is sticking out more on the right side.

I'll submit a ticket for the door panel and taillight gaps and see what they say. Thanks again!

Oh, I see. Thank you!

I took a look and the panel gap of the passenger and rear door is definitely a lot wider on the right side. However, the width from top to bottom seems even. The gap on the taillight is sticking out more on the right side.

I'll submit a ticket for the door panel and taillight gaps and see what they say. Thanks again!

Just be prepared for the dreaded “within spec” reply. Fremont isn’t exactly known for precision but the mechanicals of the car are well made and robust.

My car also came with nearly 50 miles on the odometer back in early 2018.

Oh, I see. Thank you!

Make sure everything opens and closes without additional sound or force. Check door wells for any scratches from misalignment. Those are important since they will damage paint and make you force them to close.

Happy Holidays!

There will be gaps and defects. You might need multiple appointments to fix these but not all will be fixed as some will be within "spec". Like it for what is it and good luck. I have already had 3 service appointments on mine and they still missed a few of the spots lol.

(moderator note: I have created a new master thread for delivery issues such as panel gaps, etc here:

Master thread: Delivery issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / problems etc)

Because of the way the forum software works, If I move this thread into that master thread, the conversation will get disjointed. I am locking this thread, and if the OP would like to continue the discussion on their issue, I invite them to re post their issue into the above thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.