Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts From an Old Timer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

omarsultan

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2013
Northern California
So, having got through this rodeo twice with the Model S and then the Model X, I thought I might share a couple of thoughts to ease the next 18 months or so:
  • Coming here every day will drive you nuts--98% of the "news" out there is unfounded BS. Its fun to speculate, but getting too heavily invested in every Model 3 thread that springs up will lead to needing medication
  • I already see people talking about canceling because of the display or the trunk or whatever 24 hrs into the ride. My advice is to let things play out until you get so see the final product. With both my MS and MX there are individual design choices Tesla made that I disagree with, but as a whole, they are both phenomenal automobiles. If you could afford to make the reservation, let it play out--Elon is always good for a surprise or two and history would show the vehicle is worth the wait.
  • For many of you, this is your first EV. While not rocket science, there is a bit of a learning curve. The nice thing is there is a passionate and active EV community our there--get connected with your local EV clubs* as they can help answer questions around charging, navigating utility rates, finding a good electrician, planning trips, etc. If you cannot find a local club, there are national organizations like Plug-in-America.
Welcome to the party--its going to be wild! :)

*If you happen to be in the NorCal/Reno area, PM me, our area Tesla club has a program for new Tesla owners

Last edited:
So, having got through this rodeo twice with the Model S and then the Model X, I thought I might share a couple of thoughts to ease the next 18 months or so:
  • Coming here every day will drive you nuts--98% of the "news" out there is unfounded BS. Its fun to speculate, but getting too heavily invested in every Model 3 thread that springs up will lead to needing medication
  • I already see people talking about canceling because of the display or the trunk or whatever 24 hrs into the ride. My advice is to let things play out until you get so see the final product. With both my MS and MX there are individual design choices Tesla made that I disagree with, but as a whole, they are both phenomenal automobiles. If you could afford to make the reservation, let it play out--Elon is always good for a surprise or two and history would show the vehicle is worth the wait.
  • For many of you, this is your first EV. While not rocket science, there is a bit of a learning curve. The nice thing is there is a passionate and active EV community our there--get connected with your local EV clubs* as they can help answer questions around charging, navigating utility rates, finding a good electrician, planning trips, etc. If you cannot find a local club, there are national organizations like Plug-in-America.

*If you happen to be in the NorCal/Reno area, PM me, our area Tesla club has a program for new Tesla owners

Dude , you Rock !

Live your post !

Reactions: Tezzie
Excellent idea to post this. +1, thumbs up and all that.

To those new to EV's in North America and not quite sure what you put your $1,000 down for, I recommend volunteering to help at the next Drive Electric Week in September -- you'll get to meet owners with their EVs of all different stripes and you'll learn a lot from the conversations.

Thanks old timer! I can relate too, spent almost two years with an X reservation and the amount of reading on this and that was phenomenally huge! Makes one head spin, agree; sit back, relax and watch the show. Whatever you do don't cancel your order anytime soon!

Thanks for that.... I did just join but I've been a reader for a while... Now that I'm finally an actual future owner I felt compelled to join and start posting.
Im only 2 days in here and I have already been yelled at multiple times by my daughter and my wife to put down the device!!
I'm just jazzed right now and your post definitely helps calm me down a little.... In a way I think my daughter and my wife owe you some thanks, I'm going to shut it down for today and enjoy my Sunday.
Thanks again. Back to waiting.

Reactions: tgal and Falkirk
Something else newcomers should prepare themselves for:

There is a LOT of negativity around EVs. I mean sure, they are fun to drive, more convenient, don't need as much maintenance, have better packaging, improve US energy security, improve the US economy, help clean up the air and groundwater, and reduce US spending on petroleum subsidies. Win-win, right?

Unless you are:
  • somebody who makes money in the petroleum industry (actually I believe this is one of the smallest drivers of FUD, though most assume it is the largest)
  • somebody who works on another alternative, like CNG, H2, or power-dense batteries for HEVs
  • a gearhead who hasn't driven one and assumes they are no fun to drive
  • an environmentalist that hasn't read the studies and thinks they are just as bad as gas cars and will slow down our transition to buses and bicycles
  • somebody that hates environmentalists and thinks EVs are somehow (?) a front for bigger government and more taxes
  • somebody seeking economic justice that doesn't understand the purpose of tax credits, that the social benefits accrue to all regardless of who buys them, or how the rich paying for new technology is the fastest way to make it cheaper and available to all
  • an investor trying to short a volatile new stock
These people have VERY diverse motives (so it is generally not helpful to assume the motives of FUD sources online), but what they have in common is that they spew out all sorts of misinformation about EVs. Half the stuff you will see online is incorrect - which is great progress, as several years ago everything was incorrect. There are not really that many of them so you won't encounter them often in person, but this is a mission for them and you will run in to them EVERYWHERE online. And they are MAD. (When you have beliefs that don't line up with the facts, getting mad is about all you can do).

Don't get mad back - you don't have to. You will not likely change their minds even if you post links to helpful information countering their claims; but if you are polite and try to be informative rather than combative you will spread helpful information to the much larger number of silent people just reading that aren't sure what to think.

Last edited:
Well said and thanks for your words of wisdom. I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and calm down. The design is not finalized. After this weekend's tweets from Elon, I feel much more confident that we'll be getting something awesome from Tesla. I'm even more excited now and can't wait for part 2.
Unless of course you absolutely feel the need to cancel your pre-order, please do. I just might get mine earlier :)

Thanks Omar! Glad to finally arrive! :)

@omarsultan

I have been doing the first folly you mentioned quite a bit. So gotta take a "chill pill'.
Thanks for your and all others ( @ChadS ) nice comments and encouragemnet.