Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts From an Old Timer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, having got through this rodeo twice with the Model S and then the Model X, I thought I might share a couple of thoughts to ease the next 18 months or so:
  • Coming here every day will drive you nuts--98% of the "news" out there is unfounded BS. Its fun to speculate, but getting too heavily invested in every Model 3 thread that springs up will lead to needing medication
  • I already see people talking about canceling because of the display or the trunk or whatever 24 hrs into the ride. My advice is to let things play out until you get so see the final product. With both my MS and MX there are individual design choices Tesla made that I disagree with, but as a whole, they are both phenomenal automobiles. If you could afford to make the reservation, let it play out--Elon is always good for a surprise or two and history would show the vehicle is worth the wait.
  • For many of you, this is your first EV. While not rocket science, there is a bit of a learning curve. The nice thing is there is a passionate and active EV community our there--get connected with your local EV clubs* as they can help answer questions around charging, navigating utility rates, finding a good electrician, planning trips, etc. If you cannot find a local club, there are national organizations like Plug-in-America.
Welcome to the party--its going to be wild! :)

*If you happen to be in the NorCal/Reno area, PM me, our area Tesla club has a program for new Tesla owners

Awesome post, well said. Definitely don't cancel your reservation based on what was unveiled and the rampant negativity against Tesla and EVs in general online. I believe the pros will far outweigh any cons.

Every Tesla is just a joy to drive and the Tesla community is icing on the cake! I still have the 'Tesla grin' every time I get in my car, especially when Im using Autopilot.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Thanks for posting omarsultan and ChadS -- great advice.

There is a LOT of negativity around EVs.

ChadS' list of FUD sources isn't complete... He focuses on special interests that don't want EV's to succeed, but you will hear also some negatives from people without special interests.

From my experience, the biggest negative I usually hear comes from people that don't understand the shift from carrying a large tank of gasoline around with them and filling that up at a gas station every week or two for ~5 minutes. They hear that it takes hours to charge an EV and forget the fact that ~90%+ of the time, you will be charging at home overnight -- and you never leave home without a "full" tank (well... 90% full based on Tesla's slider...). They also forget that you aren't charging from empty to full all the time -- you just plug in every night -- and plugging in and unplugging literally takes seconds. The other 10% of the time is on road trips, where the Superchargers are available (and the adventurous can use evtripplanner.com to plan trips both on and off the Supercharger highway -- you can find plugs in more places than you first think!).

They hear that it takes hours to charge an EV ...

To back this up, I've seen focus groups of people pulled off the street and asked to discuss EVs. Most people were positive on the idea...in the way that most people are happy that buses exist for other people. They assume there are social advantages to EVs, but they don't think there are personal advantages. So they assume they don't want one.

Left to talk without input, they generally assume as a group:
  • You will drive the car until it is empty, then stop for several hours to charge it. Who has time for that? (While they don't know where charging stations are, they generally decide there must be a way to find them online).
  • It will be more expensive to maintain, because it is new technology
  • Electricity probably costs about as much as gas, doesn't it?
It's a very painful thing to watch. We have lots of educating to do! At least we no longer have to deal with the arguments that they are tiny, slow (probably the most common question I got in 2009 was "can it go on the freeway?"), ugly, unsafe in a crash, etc. Tesla is really helping wipe out some of these old stereotypes.

Last edited:
To back this up, I've seen focus groups of people pulled off the street and asked to discuss EVs. Most people were positive on the idea...in the way that most people are positive that buses should exist for other people.

• You will drive the car until it is empty, then stop for several hours to charge it. Who has time for that?
  • It will be more expensive to maintain, because it is new technology
  • Electricity probably costs about as much as gas, doesn't it?
It's a very painful thing to watch. We have lots of educating to do!
I've been doing this with VEVA for the past few years and its usually the highlight of my week when you help them understand and they agree their next car must be an EV. We all need to get involved even more so now. Support your local owners clubs, EV associations, Plug In America, etc..

Reactions: ChadS
The best thing to do with trolls and FUDsters is to ignore them. Trying to engage them will just raise your blood pressure and give them more opportunities to spew FUD. There is no talking reason into these people because they probably don't even believe the agenda they are promoting. If they do, trying to change their mind will be as effective as trying to get them to change political parties.

There is a really convenient block/ignore feature that you can use to make sure that you are no longer subjected to their rants.

As for real, confused but interested people, as mentioned above: we put them behind the wheel and all Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt will melt away. The Revenge of the Electric Car is neigh.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
To back this up, I've seen focus groups of people pulled off the street and asked to discuss EVs. …

• You will drive the car until it is empty, then stop for several hours to charge it. Who has time for that? (While they don't know where charging stations are, they generally decide there must be a way to find them online)...
It's a very painful thing to watch.

That's exactly the thought I was referencing.

Reminds me of one of my first Tesla moments after getting my S in June 2013… We were out running errands on a Saturday and stopped at Starbucks for a snack. A guy at the next table asked about the car, and then said something like "aren't you worried about finding places to charge -- I've never seen any place to charge." My response, was "no -- I charge at home, mostly overnight, but there are chargers all over town -- in fact, we were just at Ikea down the street and plugged in while we shopped. I even used the app to turn the AC on before we were done so we didn't have to get in a hot car". His response was "ah.. you charge at home. I get it."...

Coming here every day will drive you nuts--98% of the "news" out there is unfounded BS.

No kidding! It's frustrating, but at the same time fascinating to watch whatever new crazy stuff some people make up. :)

Thanks, I've been lurking here for quite som time before I started posting at all, and bit more before I created an account on TMC, so I'm not new here in that sense. But I stood in line on march 31 and reserved a Model 3, so now I consider my self part of the club.

And a big thank you -and the other Roadster, Model S and X owners- that has paved (and payed) the way for the Model 3!

Reactions: Model 3
Great advice. ! I'm new here. I've wanted a tesla for years. As soon as I caught wind of the model 3 (in 2015), I started tracking and planning financially! I get Mac rumors vibes from this forum. It's an addiction. And I'm ok with that. It will keep me inspired daily for two years lol.

So, having got through this rodeo twice with the Model S and then the Model X, I thought I might share a couple of thoughts to ease the next 18 months or so:
  • Coming here every day will drive you nuts--98% of the "news" out there is unfounded BS. Its fun to speculate, but getting too heavily invested in every Model 3 thread that springs up will lead to needing medication
  • I already see people talking about canceling because of the display or the trunk or whatever 24 hrs into the ride. My advice is to let things play out until you get so see the final product. With both my MS and MX there are individual design choices Tesla made that I disagree with, but as a whole, they are both phenomenal automobiles. If you could afford to make the reservation, let it play out--Elon is always good for a surprise or two and history would show the vehicle is worth the wait.
  • For many of you, this is your first EV. While not rocket science, there is a bit of a learning curve. The nice thing is there is a passionate and active EV community our there--get connected with your local EV clubs* as they can help answer questions around charging, navigating utility rates, finding a good electrician, planning trips, etc. If you cannot find a local club, there are national organizations like Plug-in-America.

*If you happen to be in the NorCal/Reno area, PM me, our area Tesla club has a program for new Tesla owners
I would add this . . . .
If you feel really strongly that the design is ugly, or you can't cope with the nose, trunk, screen, all-glass, etc, etc,etc
Please cancel your reservation to make room for those of us love the way it looks and want the car as soon as possible o_O
Well, OK, you don't have to cancel your reservation
Alternatively, just wait to see what Part 2 reveals......

Really well said. Thanks for the post Omarsultan.
Make sure to check us out if you ever come to Montreal

I just joined the forum as I would love to own a MS but unless I hit the lottery it is highly unlikely. My knowledge of Tesla's is second hand mostly reading online from owners and talking to the few Tesla's I've run into. I am retired now but three years ago was driving a dump truck on site on route 3 just south of Franklin, New Hampshire when just after a car pulled into the closed lane I was using. Got out as did the cars driver and had my third close up of a MS as it turned out with a near dead battery. Called the mechanic who was onsite every day and when he arrived we plugged into his welder/generator. Was only 6.5 kW but had a 240 volt single phase plug that after the mechanic pulled around to the back of the car plugged in and reported 27 amps charging rate. This was in August and was averaging high 90's every day for weeks. Two hours later we needed the mechanic and he unplugged from the car and they continued on telling the mechanic they expected to use a flatbed to get to a charging station.

Last I heard the mechanic is waiting for a MS delivery of his own. Apparently that couple told him quite a bit about driving electrically.
I retired last April yeah I guess that makes me an old man but still feel like an 18 year old until I try to get out of bed,

Omarsultan? Your advice to the anxious newbies is spot on. Thank you sir.

Jim

Derry, New Hampshire

Reactions: CCWgr