Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts From an Old Timer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread was posted a year ago, but with so much anxiety being expressed today in the current posts about the TM3, it appears to be appropriate to revive it. I really can't add anything cogent to what has already been posted, other than to say my TM3 cannot arrive soon enough!

[Edit] Now that Elon says final reveal will not be until July, this thread is even more salient. We have yet to see the final design. Relax and enjoy the show.

Last edited:
This thread was posted a year ago, but with so much anxiety being expressed today in the current posts about the TM3, it appears to be appropriate to revive it. I really can't add anything cogent to what has already been posted, other than to say my TM3 cannot arrive soon enough!
And when it does, the Reset button gets hit and it'll start all over again with the Model Y? ;)

I am a newbie here also, do not have much know how on these vehicles but starting to get into it will be test driving a MS today. I was told that the ride should be similar to M3, have not reserved one yet I figured to let the dust settle and then I can test drive & take a look first hand at them to decide how I want it option out

Reactions: boaterva
I like to get a Model 3 but cost of ownership post-warranty (and I'm likely going with the ESA especially if it extends the warranty on the drive unit and battery) is the great unknown.

A DU swap doesn't seem to be feasible because from what I read here, Tesla has programmed the car to reject a replacement DU, much like how some people' immune systems reject donor organs.

I know EM is not trying to money grab but I think he should assuage these kinds of concerns, which are not perceived but real. With an ICE Honda or Toyota, repair and part costs are not exorbitantly expensive. Not so sure about the Model 3.

So, having got through this rodeo twice with the Model S and then the Model X, I thought I might share a couple of thoughts to ease the next 18 months or so:
  • Coming here every day will drive you nuts--98% of the "news" out there is unfounded BS. Its fun to speculate, but getting too heavily invested in every Model 3 thread that springs up will lead to needing medication
  • I already see people talking about canceling because of the display or the trunk or whatever 24 hrs into the ride. My advice is to let things play out until you get so see the final product. With both my MS and MX there are individual design choices Tesla made that I disagree with, but as a whole, they are both phenomenal automobiles. If you could afford to make the reservation, let it play out--Elon is always good for a surprise or two and history would show the vehicle is worth the wait.
  • For many of you, this is your first EV. While not rocket science, there is a bit of a learning curve. The nice thing is there is a passionate and active EV community our there--get connected with your local EV clubs* as they can help answer questions around charging, navigating utility rates, finding a good electrician, planning trips, etc. If you cannot find a local club, there are national organizations like Plug-in-America.
Welcome to the party--its going to be wild! :)

*If you happen to be in the NorCal/Reno area, PM me, our area Tesla club has a program for new Tesla owners

Hi there. New member here, and just read this thread since it was stickied as a helpful one.

All I'd like to add is that I've been friends with a lot of "gear-heads" over the years, especially as a sports car and a Jeep off-road enthusiast. To be honest, most of them I've talked to in recent years are coming around to having a lot of respect for electric cars like the Tesla. If they personally prefer not to own one, they'll usually admit it has more to do with a preference of holding on to the past. (If you dedicated many years of your life to tuning gasoline powered engines and rebuilding them, etc. -- you don't want to just throw all of that talent away and start over from scratch.)

The one argument they make that's still really valid, though? Electric cars aren't really suitable for road courses or race tracks. (Look at any of the attempts to race a Model S on a track. Starts out GREAT until about 3 or 4 turns into the course, when the battery overheats and you get major power loss.) They dominate at the drag strip, on the other hand.

It really comes down to appreciate every vehicle for its strength and recognizing it has weaknesses too. There's still no one vehicle that's best for all purposes. (There are things I can do in a Jeep that few other vehicles on the road today are capable of. So far, I don't think a Tesla is certified to do water crossings with up to 22 inches of water like a Wrangler is, for example!)

Hi there. New member here, and just read this thread since it was stickied as a helpful one.

All I'd like to add is that I've been friends with a lot of "gear-heads" over the years, especially as a sports car and a Jeep off-road enthusiast. To be honest, most of them I've talked to in recent years are coming around to having a lot of respect for electric cars like the Tesla. If they personally prefer not to own one, they'll usually admit it has more to do with a preference of holding on to the past. (If you dedicated many years of your life to tuning gasoline powered engines and rebuilding them, etc. -- you don't want to just throw all of that talent away and start over from scratch.)

The one argument they make that's still really valid, though? Electric cars aren't really suitable for road courses or race tracks. (Look at any of the attempts to race a Model S on a track. Starts out GREAT until about 3 or 4 turns into the course, when the battery overheats and you get major power loss.) They dominate at the drag strip, on the other hand.

It really comes down to appreciate every vehicle for its strength and recognizing it has weaknesses too. There's still no one vehicle that's best for all purposes. (There are things I can do in a Jeep that few other vehicles on the road today are capable of. So far, I don't think a Tesla is certified to do water crossings with up to 22 inches of water like a Wrangler is, for example!)

Some very good observations and welcome to the forum.
I think in the next couple of years we will start to see some electric vehicles that can handle a road course. Porsche Mission E for one and possibly even the upcoming P3D. Formula E already shows they can do it with proper cooling, but it's hardly a priority for most street cars.
Keep in mind most ICE cars sold today will burn up their brakes or overheat after a couple of laps as well.

Think of what an electric Jeep will do some day with a sealed drivetrain and all that torque available from 0 RPM! ;)

I'm holding out for this one:

Bollinger B1 | Bollinger Motors

img.png

Reactions: Hank42 and nvx1977
Been there, done that two years back now ;)

Elon Musk Says Tesla Model S Floats - Tesla Amphibious Car

Yeah.... I saw that about the Model S floating. Elon also says he doesn't recommend it. :)

The all electric Jeeps like Bolinger is doing are definitely interesting. Not priced competitively yet - but good proof of concepts, so someone like Chrysler might try it eventually. You do, however, have the challenge that Jeeps are intended to be good for going way off the beaten path, out in the middle of nowhere. You can bring a few extra gas cans with you in case you run out of fuel. But it's more of a problem to carry the spare electricity with you. (Even if you brought a portable gas generator, it'd be a really slow and inefficient way to try to recharge from it.)

And although it doesn't seem like it'd be any special challenge to do it, I haven't seen any of the EV Jeeps offering the front sway-bar release feature of a Jeep Rubicon, so your front axle can tilt left/right to go over large rocks better.

Don't get me wrong. I traded in my Jeep for my Tesla S, so I definitely think the advantages outweigh what I lose, for my use-case. (I'm really not a hard core off-roader in the first place. It was fun going on trails with people at special events, but that's not a necessity.) But a Wrangler Rubicon is a great example of a purpose-built vehicle that does a lot of things you can't really buy an EV for today, except maybe these expensive, low-production experiments.

So, having got through this rodeo twice with the Model S and then the Model X, I thought I might share a couple of thoughts to ease the next 18 months or so:
  • Coming here every day will drive you nuts--98% of the "news" out there is unfounded BS. Its fun to speculate, but getting too heavily invested in every Model 3 thread that springs up will lead to needing medication
  • I already see people talking about canceling because of the display or the trunk or whatever 24 hrs into the ride. My advice is to let things play out until you get so see the final product. With both my MS and MX there are individual design choices Tesla made that I disagree with, but as a whole, they are both phenomenal automobiles. If you could afford to make the reservation, let it play out--Elon is always good for a surprise or two and history would show the vehicle is worth the wait.
  • For many of you, this is your first EV. While not rocket science, there is a bit of a learning curve. The nice thing is there is a passionate and active EV community our there--get connected with your local EV clubs* as they can help answer questions around charging, navigating utility rates, finding a good electrician, planning trips, etc. If you cannot find a local club, there are national organizations like Plug-in-America.
Welcome to the party--its going to be wild! :)

*If you happen to be in the NorCal/Reno area, PM me, our area Tesla club has a program for new Tesla owners
Those words made me feel better, I really appreciate it :)

Reactions: omarsultan
My previous 3 venicles were Jeep Grand Cherokees. The traction system in my X is far superior on loose traction areas like snow or dirt.
Jeeps can be modified to work much better for rock crawling or enhanced clearance, but for the light duty stuff the electric drive has far better pedal response.