Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts From an Old Timer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, having got through this rodeo twice with the Model S and then the Model X, I thought I might share a couple of thoughts to ease the next 18 months or so:
  • Coming here every day will drive you nuts--98% of the "news" out there is unfounded BS. Its fun to speculate, but getting too heavily invested in every Model 3 thread that springs up will lead to needing medication
  • I already see people talking about canceling because of the display or the trunk or whatever 24 hrs into the ride. My advice is to let things play out until you get so see the final product. With both my MS and MX there are individual design choices Tesla made that I disagree with, but as a whole, they are both phenomenal automobiles. If you could afford to make the reservation, let it play out--Elon is always good for a surprise or two and history would show the vehicle is worth the wait.
  • For many of you, this is your first EV. While not rocket science, there is a bit of a learning curve. The nice thing is there is a passionate and active EV community our there--get connected with your local EV clubs* as they can help answer questions around charging, navigating utility rates, finding a good electrician, planning trips, etc. If you cannot find a local club, there are national organizations like Plug-in-America.
Welcome to the party--its going to be wild! :)

*If you happen to be in the NorCal/Reno area, PM me, our area Tesla club has a program for new Tesla owners
Well said! Could not agree more

Reactions: puckpurnell
So, having got through this rodeo twice with the Model S and then the Model X, I thought I might share a couple of thoughts to ease the next 18 months or so:
  • Coming here every day will drive you nuts--98% of the "news" out there is unfounded BS. Its fun to speculate, but getting too heavily invested in every Model 3 thread that springs up will lead to needing medication
  • I already see people talking about canceling because of the display or the trunk or whatever 24 hrs into the ride. My advice is to let things play out until you get so see the final product. With both my MS and MX there are individual design choices Tesla made that I disagree with, but as a whole, they are both phenomenal automobiles. If you could afford to make the reservation, let it play out--Elon is always good for a surprise or two and history would show the vehicle is worth the wait.
  • For many of you, this is your first EV. While not rocket science, there is a bit of a learning curve. The nice thing is there is a passionate and active EV community our there--get connected with your local EV clubs* as they can help answer questions around charging, navigating utility rates, finding a good electrician, planning trips, etc. If you cannot find a local club, there are national organizations like Plug-in-America.

*If you happen to be in the NorCal/Reno area, PM me, our area Tesla club has a program for new Tesla owners

Reactions: Waltjo

Thanks for all your hints, I would like to add that driving an EV(Tesla) is much cheaper then I thought at the beginning: very few services, no oil chages, no clutches and very few brake shoes!
In addition I suggest to install solar panels on your roof, then you really drive with sunpower, the payback is excellent on the car and the panels! I just do NOT see enough PV panels on the sunny roofs of Florida.

Reactions: nvx1977