Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts from current SR / SR+ / RWD owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello:

Been following Tesla for a long time, but now finally considering ordering a model 3. I was hoping to get some thoughts from existing SR owners about driving the RWD in the northeast. I’ve looked up past posts and it seems like the general consensus is that snow tires make a huge difference (as I expected) but I’ve also read posts where people get stuck easily due to the low ground clearance and heavy battery packs. How have you fared in areas where it frequently snows 3-5 inches?

I was also wondering what people do with winter tires? I know tesla sells a pack of winter tires, but does the mobile service or service center change these out for you or is everyone doing it themselves with a jack?

Thanks!

Hello:

Been following Tesla for a long time, but now finally considering ordering a model 3. I was hoping to get some thoughts from existing SR owners about driving the RWD in the northeast. I’ve looked up past posts and it seems like the general consensus is that snow tires make a huge difference (as I expected) but I’ve also read posts where people get stuck easily due to the low ground clearance and heavy battery packs. How have you fared in areas where it frequently snows 3-5 inches?

I was also wondering what people do with winter tires? I know tesla sells a pack of winter tires, but does the mobile service or service center change these out for you or is everyone doing it themselves with a jack?

Thanks!
I can answer your last question. The package from Tesla is a pretty good deal. And using the OEM wheels is always preferred IMHO. If you order them on-line they will be shipped to your service center of choice. They will then mount them on the car and put your originals in the car. They will not store them. You are now on your own.

The shop I normally get my tires from will store them and swap them out spring and fall for $70 per year. At my age that is preferable and worth every penny. You may want to see if there is someone in your area that offers such a service.

Hello:

Thanks!
I've had the SR and SR+ in PA. Ground clearance is similar to many cars (5.5"). For example, I think the 2020 Corolla is 5.1", 2020 Camry is 5.7". So that is not a unique problem with the Tesla.

It's RWD but there is no engine weight up front so imo it's better than many RWD cars in the snow.

Yes, snow tires make a huge difference, just like in any other car. I use snow tires in all of my cars including my 2019 Model 3. When I got my 2021, I chose not to get dedicated snow tires and I got All Weather tires (CrossClimate 2 - with 3 peak rating).

I would not hesitate to drive my Model 3 SR on dedicated real snow tires in 3-5 inches of snow/slush (VikingContact 7). I would be cautious on the CrossClimate 2 (or sport winter tires as supplied by Tesla) but would not anticipate issues. I would not do it on the OEM all season or summer tires.

For ref... my other car is a Subaru AWD with nordic snow tires (Hakka R2). That's my default car in heavy snow for obvious reasons.

I bought mine from various retailers but not from Tesla. I store the dedicated winter tires in my garage and swap them myself.

OEM tires worked fine for me in Wisconsin, but I think my new Vredestein tires are better (still an all-season tire). I think all-seasons handle just fine.
Some all-season tires now come with the 3-peak-mountain-snowflake rating symbol, indicating a higher level of snow and ice performance than the usual M+S marking found on all-season tires. The Vredestein tires you have may be such tires (e.g. if they are Quatrac 5 or Quatrac Pro models).

Reactions: Hot Cha
What is everyone doing for protection against flats? I think tesla used to sell a kit but i can no longer find it.

Any suggestions as to what alternatives people keep with them?
I have the original kit sold by Tesla. It’s just a big can of tire sealant goo and a 12v air pump with a long power cord. There is also nylon storage bag. So go aftermarket and put the pieces in fanny pack or a large Ziplock bag.

Some all-season tires now come with the 3-peak-mountain-snowflake rating symbol, indicating a higher level of snow and ice performance than the usual M+S marking found on all-season tires. The Vredestein tires you have may be such tires (e.g. if they are Quatrac 5 or Quatrac Pro models).
Indeed, the Vredestein Quatracs are rated highly for snow, which was a leading factor in my purchase.
Yup - the CrossClimate2 is also such a tire. How do you like the Vredestein? I was between the two of them when I replaced my OEMs. CC2's are a bit noisy and I see a tiny efficiency loss... otherwise I think they're great (just over 8k miles in). This guy has some good reviews
Also if you look at tirerack you'll see that the OEM's are not that well rated, especially in winter/snow. Great in efficiency and noise!

I had my 2021 sr+ through a Wisconsin winter and am satisfied with control on snow and ice. However, I did add winter tires and wheels from Tire Rack. They were 18x8.5 MSW Type 73 GLS GREY wheels, TPS sensors and 235/45R-18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 XL tires. Would have bought the Tesla winter package but it was sold out at the time. Had a mechanic swap tires in the fall but changed them myself in the spring to feel an accomplishment.

Attachments

• PXL_20211212_223111661.jpg
    PXL_20211212_223111661.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Yup - the CrossClimate2 is also such a tire. How do you like the Vredestein? I was between the two of them when I replaced my OEMs. CC2's are a bit noisy and I see a tiny efficiency loss... otherwise I think they're great (just over 8k miles in). This guy has some good reviews
Also if you look at tirerack you'll see that the OEM's are not that well rated, especially in winter/snow. Great in efficiency and noise!
I like them! I am not able to quantify any range loss, but I suppose there’s a minor amount. Winter is tough on range, but now it’s summer and I’m still pulling 220 miles on 100% charge.

I can’t tell any difference in noise. Wet traction is much better than OEM. It used to be that if I took a fast turn, I could fish tail the car. That’s not a problem now. What little snow I dealt with in the winter was easily managed.

Oh, and the price difference was huge. I had a local dealership I trust handle the installation. Tires + installation + insurance cost me $782.

As you pointed out, I saw the OEMs were poorly rated. That really surprised me at first, but now I can feel the difference.