Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts: Model X (2020) vs. Model Y (2023) vs. Others (for family)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi gang! I was hoping to get some input/advice on an upcoming car purchase. The Wife and I have two kids (under two) and a large (90lb) dog. We’re looking for a larger car to haul the family. Most of our driving is short trips around town, or a ~2 hour drive to visit family. We both work from home, so weekday driving is minimal (grocery store, park, etc.). In the summer, we're often on a 2-hour trip to the beach.

We've been looking at various SUVs and vans. An 80-year old couple in town is selling their 2020 Model X Long Range, and I went to take a look. It is pristine (one-owner), garage kept, with 20k miles. It has cream interior, 5 seats, and the FSD software.

They’re asking $70k for the car. It includes all chargers, accessories, etc. A similarly priced new X would price out at $118k. Their model is a “Raven” FWIW.

Curious - is this a good buy? Anything I should look out for? Tires seem to have about 60% tread left. We're also considering a new (2023) Model Y, or looking into something along the lines of a Mazda CX9 (which is much cheaper, but you lose a lot of neat features).

Reactions: scottf200
I'd probably get the X in a heartbeat if I was in your shoes. Run, don't walk to it IMO. You'll love the extra space and the FWD to load the kids. As well as the 'big sky' windows. Plus you get FSD! (since it is a private sale)

X vs Y dimensions

_ For the Model X, Tesla's best number is the 92.3 cubic feet of total cargo space with the six-seat configuration, including the 6.6 cu-ft "frunk" under the hood (the numbers shrink to 91.6 cubes for the five-seater and 88.2 for the seven-seat model).
_ By contrast, Tesla says the Model Y can swallow up to 76.2 cu ft of cargo all in counting the 4.1 cu-ft frunk for the five-passenger model, with 72.0 for the seven-seat version.
_ It's not a surprise that the Model X has significantly more total cargo space than the Model Y and, more important, space inside the vehicle for larger objects. It's also worth noting the Model X's Falcon Wing doors and larger rear hatch will make loading both people and larger, bulkier items easier than in the Model Y. On the other hand, its conventional rear doors allow the Model Y to be fitted with a roof rack to accommodate larger items.

I'd probably get the X in a heartbeat if I was in your shoes. Run, don't walk to it IMO. You'll love the extra space and the FWD to load the kids. As well as the 'big sky' windows. Plus you get FSD! (since it is a private sale)

X vs Y dimensions

Thanks! Does the price seem right?

My biggest concern is that 2-years from now, the car has depreciated to like $45,000 (we don't drive much, so I'm guessing we add 20k miles in 2-years) and I'm having issues with the FWDs (enough reading online has me worried).

Didn't they just drop the price on the X to 99k? I personally don't assign much value to FSD. So it is worth whatever you think it is. Autopilot covers most of what I need on the highway.

Something to keep in mind for the X is the rear doors can be finicky, once out of warranty they can be very expensive to repair.

As for the used on you are considering, ask them what level they kept the battery charged to when not driving it. If they kept it fully charged all the time, you could see excessive degradation.

Reactions: scottf200