Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on 19" Gemini Wheel and Pirelli Winter Tire Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife got her MY in August and we're quickly approaching winter here in the mountains of Utah. We have the 19" Gemini wheels. For those that have the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 tires, how do you like them? We get a TON of snow and have lots of hills and winding roads, but the city also does a great job of clearing the roads. (Ski resort town.) In the past we have always run something like Blizzaks. Not sure how to think of a "performance" winter tire like the Sottozero vs an "ice/snow" tire like the Michelin X-Ice Snow, or if it even really matters and it's just splitting hairs. Also having trouble finding tires in stock, at least locally, which has drawn me toward the Tesla winter package. Just don't know what to think about the Pirellis. Any thoughts appreciated.

My wife got her MY in August and we're quickly approaching winter here in the mountains of Utah. We have the 19" Gemini wheels. For those that have the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 tires, how do you like them? We get a TON of snow and have lots of hills and winding roads, but the city also does a great job of clearing the roads. (Ski resort town.) In the past we have always run something like Blizzaks. Not sure how to think of a "performance" winter tire like the Sottozero vs an "ice/snow" tire like the Michelin X-Ice Snow, or if it even really matters and it's just splitting hairs. Also having trouble finding tires in stock, at least locally, which has drawn me toward the Tesla winter package. Just don't know what to think about the Pirellis. Any thoughts appreciated.
Have a look at this thread for the Model S Winter tire recommendations

I have Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 on my Model 3 for Colorado Front Range snow driving (snow, dry, dry, dry, snow, dry....more dry.....snow again). Decent all-around winter performance. Overall I probably would purchase again, reasonable driving dynamics, watt/mile consumption, not too loud on dry roads. I bet the Michelin X-Ice Snow has more deep snow grip but higher w/m energy use. Prior Blizzaks on other cars had more snow grip than the Nokian.

and yes, due to supply issues, you might be limited to what Tesla has in stock versus tire store.

I opted for a 2nd set of dedicated wheels so I can swap out wheels quickly if no snow/warmer temps are prevailing during the winter season.

I haven't seen the package be in stock since I picked up my MYLR last week. Are there other ways to order the package (such as via a SC?) or does that mean only third party options are possible at the moment?

I haven't seen the package be in stock since I picked up my MYLR last week. Are there other ways to order the package (such as via a SC?) or does that mean only third party options are possible at the moment?
Not sure if you’re still looking, but they are currently back in stock. Just ordered a set.

I live in the Vail Valley and have a MYLR. The only winter option I could get my hands on last year were those tires. They work fine. I'm used to the Blizzak's and a 4runner TRD. These are just as good if not better on the highway. I've played with the car on some forest service roads, 6-8 inches of fresh, and it works well there too. Keep momentum though if you're going up an incline as you'll need it with the weight of the car.

I may switch to Nokian's when these get worn out. I run winter tires from Oct 1 to April 15th...

The performance winter tire can provide better handling than a standard winter tire. Any winter tire from a major brand will outperform an all-season tire when starting, braking, panic stopping, handling and turning on snow and ice.