Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on 2018 Model 3 LR RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New member here, so don't bite my head off too quickly lol. I actually typed up a whole new post but then accidentally clicked the backspace :(

Anyway, to just sum up my question... I'm really just wanted to get a bunch of opinions, thoughts, feedback etc. I'd love to buy a brand new Tesla, but if we as consumers can save a penny or two you know we'll do that. There's a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD for sale locally to me with about 27k miles that I feel like is a decent deal. Only thing with it is that I was wanting a white interior, but I'm ok with the black premium. It's listed for $39,995 and has the exterior chrome delete, the aero wheels (looks like without covers, which is no problem to me), center console wrap, it looks like it has window tint applied already, it's the LR so it has the premium audio (which I really want), and it also has Enhanced AP (which is exactly what I would prefer over regular AP, but not really needing FSD).

Is there anything I should be aware of if I move forward with this? How do I check battery degradation? Is there a VIN checker website you all prefer?

Thanks everyone!

I have a 2018 LR RWD with ~50,000 miles on it. It is VIN 229xx and I purchased it in June of 2018. No problems so far - love the car! The only servicing was to replace the glovebox which wouldn't stay closed, installation of HW3 computer, and new tires.

The last 6 of the VIN for this one I'm looking at is 030981. I was also reading about the HW3 stuff, which I'm not sure of. If I don't care to get the FSD in the future is that irrelevant in my case? I'll probably look at switching out of this in the future, but just looking to get out of my gas SUV as soon as possible. I also used to turn wrenches, so I'm looking forward to not having to do any fluid maintenance anymore lol.

Thanks for your feedback!

For sure it doesn't have HW3.

Only way to get it is buy FSD (which is cheaper for EAP owners than regular AP owners FWIW)

As to if it matters without also having FSD? Today- no other than for some additional visualizations on the display (recycling cans, lane lines, etc)

Tomorrow (literally tomorrow, as the re-write goes out to the first early users tomorrow) it might.

Most speculation is most (or maybe all outside bug fixes) future development and improvement will go into the new codebase- which only runs on HW3 but would impact a number of features included in EAP.

For sure it doesn't have HW3.

Only way to get it is buy FSD (which is cheaper for EAP owners than regular AP owners FWIW)

As to if it matters without also having FSD? Today- no other than for some additional visualizations on the display (recycling cans, lane lines, etc)

Tomorrow (literally tomorrow, as the re-write goes out to the first early users tomorrow) it might.

Most speculation is most (or maybe all outside bug fixes) future development and improvement will go into the new codebase- which only runs on HW3 but would impact a number of features included in EAP.
Is "HW3" physical hardware? The car would need to go in for service? I don't really care, for right now at least, to purchase the FSD. I've rented on Turo a M3 Performance with EAP (for a week long trip, ~1k miles) and it has all the extra AP functions that really matter to me. I did test drive a Model Y several months ago which had FSD... the stop light/sign braking, visualizations, etc were nice and cool... but I really just want the convenience of AP for traffic, trips, etc.

I see your location is NC.. curious if there's a correlation with your username. I live in Wendell.

Thanks for your feedback.

Get an SR+ instead of the LR RWD, it'll be brand new with the new HW3, new interior and more support. The LR RWD is great because of the free premium connectivity, Homelink and range but if you can go without those I think the SR+ would be better. Just my opinion.

Get an SR+ instead of the LR RWD, it'll be brand new with the new HW3, new interior and more support. The LR RWD is great because of the free premium connectivity, Homelink and range but if you can go without those I think the SR+ would be better. Just my opinion.
I really wish there was an option to add audio upgrades... I really enjoy my music during commutes. Maybe I should drive a SR and actually experience the audio difference, because you're right it would be brand new with the new refresh, etc. Do you have an SR? Is the audio quality decent?

I have a 2018 mid-range, delivered 112/18. It had one issue with charging after two weeks. It was resolved at the service center and the car has been flawless ever since ~23K miles. I do use EAP on highways and would say it works ok. But I don't think FSD would be particularly more useful, so no intention to upgrade.

All in all we are very happy with the car. It is not perfect, wind noise is annoying but it is still less noisy than most other cars I have owned. As far as being fun to drive it is as good, or better, that a whole string of performance and sports cars I have owned over the years.

All in all, I imagine that a used 2018 M3 would be a good choice.

I have a 2018 mid-range, delivered 112/18. It had one issue with charging after two weeks. It was resolved at the service center and the car has been flawless ever since ~23K miles. I do use EAP on highways and would say it works ok. But I don't think FSD would be particularly more useful, so no intention to upgrade.

All in all we are very happy with the car. It is not perfect, wind noise is annoying but it is still less noisy than most other cars I have owned. As far as being fun to drive it is as good, or better, that a whole string of performance and sports cars I have owned over the years.

All in all, I imagine that a used 2018 M3 would be a good choice.
Thank you for that! The mid-range has the premium audio/interior right? I feel like the price point for this '18 LR RWD is pretty decent... but like what T3SLAROD said, I could get a SR+ for the same price point, but brand new vehicle. It just wouldn't have the premium audio or EAP.

Is "HW3" physical hardware? The car would need to go in for service?

Correct, it's a physically different, much more powerful, driving computer.

Some places are doing it via mobile service now, but Raleigh SC isn't one of them (as of a couple months ago when I had mine done anyway guess they might be doing it mobile now)

I don't really care, for right now at least, to purchase the FSD. I've rented on Turo a M3 Performance with EAP (for a week long trip, ~1k miles) and it has all the extra AP functions that really matter to me. I did test drive a Model Y several months ago which had FSD... the stop light/sign braking, visualizations, etc were nice and cool... but I really just want the convenience of AP for traffic, trips, etc.

I agree EAP is good enough for the most practical benefit right now.... was just pointing out that most (maybe all) future improvements are likely to be exclusive to FSD/HW3 cars.

You can always decide to add it later of course if they make a change you care about.

I see your location is NC.. curious if there's a correlation with your username. I live in Wendell.

Thanks for your feedback.

Nope, I'm on the totally opposite side of the triangle from Knightdale if that's what you were thinking

Also to answer your other question- yes the MR is same interior as the LR cars- it's functionally a LR RWD they just put less battery in.

Correct, it's a physically different, much more powerful, driving computer.

Some places are doing it via mobile service now, but Raleigh SC isn't one of them (as of a couple months ago when I had mine done anyway guess they might be doing it mobile now)

I agree EAP is good enough for the most practical benefit right now.... was just pointing out that most (maybe all) future improvements are likely to be exclusive to FSD/HW3 cars.

You can always decide to add it later of course if they make a change you care about.
Ah ok, that makes more sense as far as the computer. That does kind of weigh into my thinking, as far as picking something up with the older hardware.

Nope, I'm on the totally opposite side of the triangle from Knightdale if that's what you were thinking

Also to answer your other question- yes the MR is same interior as the LR cars- it's functionally a LR RWD they just put less battery in.
I was thinking in regards to Knightdale. Whenever I finally pick up a Tesla, I'm just looking forward to connecting with the community.

Thank you for that! The mid-range has the premium audio/interior right? I feel like the price point for this '18 LR RWD is pretty decent... but like what T3SLAROD said, I could get a SR+ for the same price point, but brand new vehicle. It just wouldn't have the premium audio or EAP.
The premium audio is OK, not amazing but OK. The EAP with Navigate is pretty good for the freeways and open roads.

I have a 2018 LR with a 27xxx VIN. Really happy with it, 50k miles now. Used to have an SR+ also and just exchanged that for a Y. Given the choice I would go with the LR for added range,EAP, nicer interior lights, fog lights, and better audio. Please also keep in mind that SR+ charges slower overall due to smaller battery. Quite noticeable when supercharging, but also at home if you use something more powerful than the mobile adapter.

given the VIN, the LR might also have premium connectivity included, that’s $10 a month. SR+ comes without floor mats.

2018 LR AWD owner with an 84xxx VIN. I’ve only had two real service issues in just under 15k miles, a waterlogged taillight and a problem with a directional that wouldn’t go off after the steering wheel was centered (required a new steering wheel assembly). Both were fixed under warranty. I have had sort of significant (IMO) range loss though considering how few miles I’ve put on the car (310->294) and my battery efficiency seems pretty low overall(~310 Wh/ mi). But I’m more than happy with the car. Mine didn’t come with lifetime premium connectivity, however.

Also note that chrome delete wasn’t an option on the Model until the brand new 2021 models, so that was after market and, depending on where the previous owner had it done could have cost $1-2K

That’s low mileage (higher than mine but I take the train to work and travel for a living) and a good price but, yes, you are inheriting potential problems with any used vehicle and you won’t have the latest hardware. For the most part, the software will continue to upgrade and you can always purchase the FSD computer if it comes to it.

The audio is nice but doubt even a true audiophile would notice a huge difference considering the environment - just not the most pristine listening environment. The bigger benefit would be the premium connectivity since there’s no AM radio or satellite built in so internet is all you’ve got aside from FM and USB/BT; plus you can watch videos (based on your personal subscriptions) while supercharging. The aero wheel covers should be included (sounds like they may throw in the little caps which are a nice alternative look). Yes, EAP has most of what’s available to FSD owners today and I have met noticed any difference besides visualizations. We shall see what the future holds.

As for the brand new, depending on when you get it, you may have the chromeless and matte console as well as potentially newer battery tech so that might offset the benefits of the larger battery (nobody knows if the new cells charge faster or not). You’d also get the FSD computer and, unless you order off menu or import from China, AWD; that said, RWD is excellent and I don’t regret it even as a long lived FWD driver.

Either way, glad to see another person dumping the SUV lifestyle. Have fun!

I have the LR RWD and I’m very happy with it but if I were in your shoes I’d get a 2021 SR+.

There are some threads here on upgrading the SR audio system to something similar to LR.

The 2021 will have the chrome delete standard, the new aero wheels, acoustic side glass (my 2018 is noisy), the new console, wireless charging pads, HW3, heated charging inlet, heat pump, USB-C, etc.

I love my car but they’ve fixed everything that bugs me on my 2018 with the 2021 refresh. It’s cheaper, too.

Not sure why I didn't do this yesterday, but here's the listing link for the car. Maybe y'all can point out things that I didn't notice.
Y.E. Motors Car Dealership Serving the Greater Apex Area

I have a 2018 LR with a 27xxx VIN. Really happy with it, 50k miles now. Used to have an SR+ also and just exchanged that for a Y. Given the choice I would go with the LR for added range,EAP, nicer interior lights, fog lights, and better audio. Please also keep in mind that SR+ charges slower overall due to smaller battery. Quite noticeable when supercharging, but also at home if you use something more powerful than the mobile adapter.

given the VIN, the LR might also have premium connectivity included, that’s $10 a month. SR+ comes without floor mats.
Thank you for that. I never thought about the charging rate for the smaller batteries, but it makes sense. And it does say "Premium Connectivity - Included Package" which I'm assuming is what you're saying is that it's a permanent subscription. If I did end up with an SR+, I'll probably end up getting the 3d Maxpider mats (what we have in our 2018 Pacifica -- 4 boys, so unless Tesla comes out with a larger, cheaper 3 row... our family vehicle will probably stay a gas guzzler).

2018 LR AWD owner with an 84xxx VIN. I’ve only had two real service issues in just under 15k miles, a waterlogged taillight and a problem with a directional that wouldn’t go off after the steering wheel was centered (required a new steering wheel assembly). Both were fixed under warranty. I have had sort of significant (IMO) range loss though considering how few miles I’ve put on the car (310->294) and my battery efficiency seems pretty low overall(~310 Wh/ mi). But I’m more than happy with the car. Mine didn’t come with lifetime premium connectivity, however.

Also note that chrome delete wasn’t an option on the Model until the brand new 2021 models, so that was after market and, depending on where the previous owner had it done could have cost $1-2K
If I do move forward with this car, I'll want to get a better idea of battery charge/range. I honestly don't neeeeeed the extra range, but it would be nice to have ya know. And yea, about the chrome delete that the previous owner did (along with the center console wrap), if it looks like it was done professionally... that's just extra money that I don't have to spend. Makes the sale price more appealing.

I have an 18 LR RWD with all upgrades and HW3 and love it. At 28,000 miles
I'll do some searching in the forum today when I'm not busy with work, but what's the cost associated with upgrading to HW3? If I do choose this older, with some benefits, Model 3 it might be worth upgrading/investing in that since I plan on keeping this long-term.

Last edited:
I have almost that exact car and it's awesome! If it's in good condition, I think the price is fair. I love the LR battery, and an electric RWD car handles much better than an ICE car. Ask the seller what it's been charging to, and you'll have a good idea of battery condition. I can still charge well over 300 miles. It's the 12 volt that might be the issue, but that is an easy fix. Keep us posted!

Reactions: DonkeyEV