Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on 4-Year Extension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On that note, what is the reason it’s not available in WA, and is it likely to ever be offered here?

All I could find is that it violates some legal condition. The laws governing service plans would have to be changed. In Florida it's because this kind of service is considered an insurance policy and you have to be a licensed insurance broker to sell it.

What are your thoughts on the 4-Year Extension? Worth it or not? Pros/Cons? I am considering the 4-Year Plan and debating on the extension.
I purchased it back in the middle of last year, I think it depends on several factors. How long you keep your vehicles and if you worry about new technology and cost to repair some items that may be very expensive. I keep my vehicles usually for at least 10 years and worried about reliability of a new first year product. So for me it was well worth the money. Just as an aside, I do not normally buy extended warranties, but felt it necessary with the Model S.

What are your thoughts on the 4-Year Extension? Worth it or not? Pros/Cons? I am considering the 4-Year Plan and debating on the extension.

Are you talking about the "4-Year Service Plan + Extension", currently sold for $3800, or the 4-Year Warranty Extension, which currently costs $4000 to extend the warranty for 4 years/50,000 miles?

Still not sure about the first, but considering the second for the same reason I get extended service plans for laptops and not for desktop systems -- a lot of custom parts and service that is currently only available from the manufacturer. Until I see a copy of a Chilton's manual (or similar) for the Model S and an aftermarket for parts, I figure that it's wise to assume that repair options will be limited for the time being.

All I could find is that it violates some legal condition. The laws governing service plans would have to be changed. In Florida it's because this kind of service is considered an insurance policy and you have to be a licensed insurance broker to sell it.
Point of clarification:

The 4+4 (service) is available in WA (and I have it).

What's not available in WA (and FL) is the warranty extension.

I purchased the extension before it jumped in cost but still think it may be a good buy. The center console costs $3500 to replace if not covered under warranty. Other parts can be expensive as well. I also think it will be helpful for resale and buyers peace of mind------cars like this drop fast in resale value when the warranty expires....just my 2 cents

I purchased the extension before it jumped in cost but still think it may be a good buy. The center console costs $3500 to replace if not covered under warranty. Other parts can be expensive as well. I also think it will be helpful for resale and buyers peace of mind------cars like this drop fast in resale value when the warranty expires....just my 2 cents

The nice thing about the extended warranty, is you do not have to buy it until right before the normal warranty expires. By then we'll have a pretty good idea if a lot of things are breaking in the 50-100k miles range, and if it's worth it or not.

Same here, but I would probably buy it even for $4k.

Same here, but I would probably buy it even for $4k.

I missed the original pricing by a day - knew the deadline was coming, but got preoccupied with work. ;-) I tried negotiating w/ the local service center to honor it to no avail.

All that said, I just crossed 42k miles. I am scheduling a service for right at 49k miles to get in under the 50k warranty limit. I expect I will end up buying the ESA @ $4k.

I've posted all of my major maintenance items before and I think it will pay for itself if the trend continues:

- main battery replaced @ 11k (unlimited mileage warranty here)
- passenger rear bearings replaced @ 20k
- stress crack in windscreen replaced @ 30k
- rock jammed between brake pad and rotor @ 36k
- parking brake @ 40k
- carbon fiber spoiler cracked @ 40k

...plus multiple key fobs

--Tim