Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on a pre-owned 2018 Model-3 LR RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 M3LR coming in next week, but there is a sudden need for a second car in the family. Ideally a bigger vehicle, but nothing fuel efficient (ICE/PHEV) is available soon at our budget. So going down the used car road.

Found about this pre-owned at local Tesla showroom that will be listed soon over the weekend (lucky timing to be at the store and tqlking to a friendly SA who looked up "spreadsheets" to share info!):

- 2018 M3 LR RWD with 30K miles
- no FSD (and they may list it without that, which I hope remains true).
- to be priced around $42-43K

Two questions:
1) Is this a decent deal to think about? $8K difference compared to new car/tech
2) How they do decide whether to throw in FSD or not? Almost all used M3 cars on tesla.com have a FSD, so why not this one? (Unelss they decide otherwise over the weekend.)

Live in California (Bay Area), want to use car for commute and weekend excursions, generally keep cars for a long time (unless the next used car "appreciation" bubble strikes again :) )

Appreciate any advice, ideas, and opinions!

Even if that price is good in today's car market, it's still a poor value proposition to me. The used car market is extremely inflated right now. There have been a lot of improvements to the Model 3 since 2018. A few features are gone but overall the car is much nicer and more efficient. And a new LR would have dual motors - which no you don't need, but still of use and value.

$8k to have worse NVH, no heat pump (really is more efficient!), no front motor, MCU2 instead of MCU3, much less warranty coverage, and start off with a used car that'll have parts wear out or need maintenance that much sooner...it doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

Again I'm not saying it's a bad deal relative to the market. Rather the used car market for anything lightly used / newish is crazy right now and of really poor value in general. If you can afford a new M3LR instead that strikes me as a better value frankly.

Last edited:
Reactions: budygadi
Thank you for your insights.

I am leaning towards not buying the used -- and, if price continues to be a key factor for me, I think the winner would be the 2022 M3 SR+/eqv (272 mile range with all new tech that you described) for ~$2K more than 2018 M3 LR RWD (~300 real range, assuming batterey degradation in ~5 yrs).

Reactions: tm1v2
What's it going to be used for? The Chevy Bolt is a pretty good around-town car and a capable long distance car and it would cost a bunch less. Just have to get one that has had the recalled battery pack replaced already or plan on having it done in the future. I would avoid buying a used Tesla for the prices they are going for.

The Bolt is a good basic car for running errands around town, and it drives better than it looks, but the driving experience and EV functionality don't compare to a Model 3. I actually like the Bolt for what it is but it only makes sense to me if it's a lot cheaper than a base Model 3. Which...maybe it is these days?

Originally the Bolt was really close to low-end Model 3 pricing and the Model 3 seemed like way more car for the money.

I'll try to avoid commenting on the Bolt's battery recall mess. I just hope LG and GM really have the problems solved with the latest packs.

Pay the extra for new car, new warranty, that car likely has 1 year and 20k miles left in warranty. I had 2018 RWD LR, you gain AWD, new tires (I sold my 2018 with low tread), heater pump is more efficient, HW 3 vs older 2.5 autopilot hardware, new MCU, new 12v lithium battery, likely better build quality (my 2018 had no gap/paint issues but overall build more solid and quieter).

I am in the process of buying a used 2021 M3 SR from a third party and they have it listed for less than the new 2022 which is odd to say with the way the current market has been. I’d much rather buy one from Tesla but it seems all of their inventory has the FSD which I don’t need.

@ElectricNerd As of last fall service advisors could remove FSD when assigning an inventory car to an existing order. My October 2021 M3P was an inventory car I spotted a couple days after I placed my order. The car was listed with FSD and the SA was able to remove it when assigning to my order/reservation.

I don't know if they can remove FSD if you simply order the inventory car through the website. But if not, you could make a reservation, then call local SA and have them assign an inventory car & remove FSD.

@ElectricNerd As of last fall service advisors could remove FSD when assigning an inventory car to an existing order. My October 2021 M3P was an inventory car I spotted a couple days after I placed my order. The car was listed with FSD and the SA was able to remove it when assigning to my order/reservation.

I don't know if they can remove FSD if you simply order the inventory car through the website. But if not, you could make a reservation, then call local SA and have them assign an inventory car & remove FSD.
Nothing has changed here -- you cannot remove FSD yourself when buying an inventory car, but an SA can remove it (even after your order it for the $250).

One thing to note about inventory vehicles -- I think there is an incentive to get them sold quickly. So even if you order one (pay $250), they expect you do the following steps very quickly -- the buying agreement says you have three days but some shitty SAs (who probably want to meet their quota) are impatient that if you dont so it immediately they reassign your VIN within a day or two. This is based on my experience!

I am in the process of buying a used 2021 M3 SR from a third party and they have it listed for less than the new 2022 which is odd to say with the way the current market has been. I’d much rather buy one from Tesla but it seems all of their inventory has the FSD which I don’t need.
One advantage from

BTW note that "inventory" vehicles is not the same as "used car" inventory. I think the former means a new vehicle (current year and generation) that is available for purchase like a new vehicle for some reason (like the preorder it was assigned to rejected it, or could not take delivery, or something else, or they are demo vehicles). They have a very few miles (typically less than 50) on them. On the other hand, "used car" inventory is just what you think it is -- used, pre-owned cars that have miles.

Tesla will not remove FSD from their "used cars" inventory -- so if you are seeing a 2021 M3 on tesla.com please make sure you know which category of "inventory" it belongs to.

One advantage buying from Tesla is that they typically add one additional year of waranty (after the original four year warranty expires). And that they have hopefully checked the car before putting it on the market.