Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Additional Home Charger and PSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY is on order and I was looking for a second charger.

Current setup is as follows, Tesla Gen 2 wall charger on 60 amp breaker (currently for the M3) and additional NEMA 14-50 outlet on 50 amp breaker.

So I was looking around and thinking maybe get another Gen2 wall charger or even a Gen 3. Then I started to look around and for some reason I happened to log into my Blink account. I don’t use Blink to much only when I travel when there are no Tesla chargers around or sometimes in public parking places (some are even free to charge in NJ). Anyways it asked me if I wanted to upgrade my account to Pro for free and get $5 of free charging credit and 25% off a new charger plus $100 in charging credit if you buy the charger. Ok so I decided to check it out and see what this deal was and turns out it is not a bad deal at all.

So this is the charger https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Electr...(EV)+Charger+with+blink&qid=1601759691&sr=8-1

It is 7.2kW so should charge at 32amps and has 18 ft cord.

$399.99 cost
$120.00 using either of the 2 30% off coupons listed on Amazon.
$279.99 net cost from Amazon
$100.00 charging credit (added to your account after by calling)
$179.99 net after charging credit
$84.00 if you use the IRS 30% off form on your taxes
$95.99 potential cost after all discounts applied.

Codes for checkout if you are interested.
Save 30% on the Blink Home Charger Thanks to Our Friends at TeslaSoCal! Enter code TESLASOCAL30 at checkout. Offered by Blink Charging Co.
Save 30% on the Blink Home Charger Thanks to Our Friends at Bisimoto! Enter code BISIMOTO30 at checkout. Offered by Blink Charging Co.
Save 25% on the Blink Home Charger as a Blink Pro Member. Pro Membership is free, find out more at BlinkCharging.com/Pro. Enter code 25BLNKPRO at checkout. Offered by Blink Charging

Even at $279 it is not possible to find a charger for this price.

So thoughts, recommendations anyone have or use a Blink HQ 100???

Why not just use the Tesla Mobile Connector that came with your Model 3? A separate Mobile Connector will also come with the Model Y. The NEMA 14-50 plug adapter for the Mobile Connector is no longer included when you purchase the vehicle but the power plug adapter is just $35 from the Tesla Store. The Mobile Connector will enable you to charge at 230V and up to 32 amps. I don't use my Mobile Connector because the 18 ft. charging cord is too short to reach the charging port of my Model Y but if an 18 ft charging cord meets your needs the Mobile Connector is one option. If you also purchase the charge cord organizer from the Tesla Store it is not obvious but it includes a wall mount for the Mobile Connector electronics unit.

Why not just use the Tesla Mobile Connector that came with your Model 3? A separate Mobile Connector will also come with the Model Y. The NEMA 14-50 plug adapter for the Mobile Connector is no longer included when you purchase the vehicle but the power plug adapter is just $35 from the Tesla Store. The Mobile Connector will enable you to charge at 230V and up to 32 amps. I don't use my Mobile Connector because the 18 ft. charging cord is too short to reach the charging port of my Model Y but if an 18 ft charging cord meets your needs the Mobile Connector is one option. If you also purchase the charge cord organizer from the Tesla Store it is not obvious but it includes a wall mount for the Mobile Connector electronics unit.

The reason I don't want to use the included UMC is convenience and so that I always have a UMC in the car. You know lazy if I use the UMC that came with the car I have to either pack it up and put it in the car or go out without one, mostly lazy and always want a UMC in the car.

The reason I don't want to use the included UMC is convenience and so that I always have a UMC in the car. You know lazy if I use the UMC that came with the car I have to either pack it up and put it in the car or go out without one, mostly lazy and always want a UMC in the car.
Since you will have two UMCs once you receive your Model Y why not just designate one for trips and leave the other UMC plugged in at home? The Tesla J1772 adapter is more useful than the UMC when traveling as you can charge at any public Level 2 charging location. Between the Tesla SC network and J1772 adapter, unless you are camping, there is less need to rely on the UMC for charging when away from home.

The Blink charging station in the link provided does not have a power plug and is intended to be hard wired to a junction box by an electrician. You could fit the Blink charging station with a power plug at some additional cost.

I love having two Gen 2 chargers sharing a 100A circuit. But having two or more that can't share a single circuit means you have to create a new circuit and they have to fit into the load calculation. Do you have enough capacity in your electrical panel to add a new 40A circuit? Would installation of a new circuit negate the savings of the Blink charger? That is not a problem if you just add another Gen 2 charger and share the existing circuit.

I love having two Gen 2 chargers sharing a 100A circuit. But having two or more that can't share a single circuit means you have to create a new circuit and they have to fit into the load calculation. Do you have enough capacity in your electrical panel to add a new 40A circuit? Would installation of a new circuit negate the savings of the Blink charger? That is not a problem if you just add another Gen 2 charger and share the existing circuit.

Yes I have enough capacity for any of those 300 amp service in my home. I was thinking just put a $20 6-50 plug on the Blink and use the extra 14-50 outlet I already have in my garage.

Yes I have enough capacity for any of those 300 amp service in my home. I was thinking just put a $20 6-50 plug on the Blink and use the extra 14-50 outlet I already have in my garage.
Ok. A NEMA 6-50 plug will not fit a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. You would need to fit a 14-50 plug to the power connection of the Blink charging station.

I’d sell your existing charger off and buy two Gen 3 Wall Charger units from Tesla. That way the units would connect together and load balance between both automatically. You would have a wider range of options available for charging. Either reduced rates between both, or schedule them apart.

You wouldn’t need to play musical chairs moving the vehicles around for charging.

Lately the wall chargers have been easy to get. Both lengths available are in stock. When I bought my Gen 3, it was a fight to get it.

If laziness is a factor, the Tesla ones are definitely the best. The way they unlock and open the charge port is ideal.

I’d sell your existing charger off and buy two Gen 3 Wall Charger units from Tesla. That way the units would connect together and load balance between both automatically. You would have a wider range of options available for charging. Either reduced rates between both, or schedule them apart.

You wouldn’t need to play musical chairs moving the vehicles around for charging.

Lately the wall chargers have been easy to get. Both lengths available are in stock. When I bought my Gen 3, it was a fight to get it.

If laziness is a factor, the Tesla ones are definitely the best. The way they unlock and open the charge port is ideal.

But will a new Gen 3 play with my Gen 2 wall charger?

I’d sell your existing charger off and buy two Gen 3 Wall Charger units from Tesla. That way the units would [NOT] connect together and load balance between both automatically.
You seem to have unfortunately left out the very important word "not" there. ;) They currently don't do that, because Tesla released a pathetically unfinished product and still has not released the firmware update to enable sharing.

But will a new Gen 3 play with my Gen 2 wall charger?
No. And Tesla said when asked that question that they never plan to enable compatibility between the two types.