Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on any Q1-end discounts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting an itchy trigger finger to finally swap from a Roadster to a Model S, so I've been pestering the local store lately with questions and spec'ing out the car I'd want. I curiously asked whether they foresee any quarter-end sales happening, similar to the "firesale" that happened back in Q3 I think it was. They said they were specifically instructed to say there would be no discounts.

What are everyone's thoughts? Best to just go ahead and order, or would there be any benefit in waiting until late March? Were the past sales only on inventory cars? None of those ever seem to align with what I would want to order. Thanks!

Reactions: u00mem9
Like this one for example:

Model S 60D 5YJSA1E27GF168901 | Tesla

The page shows a price of $86,200 but the inventory site says this car has a $8,500 price drop. When I build that same car on the site, I come up with a cash price of $87,000.

I'm getting $88,200 new. The inventory has unlimited supercharging.

Did the bundling reduce the cost of the base interior option?

So I looked at the data and on December 23rd @ 22:31 that car was in the file at the price of $94,700. Tesla has often made price mistakes, some are fixed quickly and some are not. I am just displaying Tesla's data. If there are discrepancies, it is not really my place to modify that.

At that time, if you had gone to Tesla's website that car would have been $94,700 to purchase.

For inventory cars: the Price Change field (not to be confused as a discount) uses both the discount field in Tesla's file & the price differences as they lower/raise the prices from my import. I display the larger of the two numbers.

For CPO Cars: the Price Change field only uses the price differences as they lower/raise the prices from my import process because if you look at Tesla's discount field it shows the price difference from when the car was brand new. (Example: if a 2014 car was originally purchased for 100k, but in 2016 it was listed as a CPO for 70k and then dropped a month later to 60k. Tesla's file would show a discount of 40k whereas I would show a discount of only 10k (price difference since being listed as a CPO, because no-one would pay 100k for that CPO).

Good catch though and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I am not surprised it didn't sell for that inflated price.

Thanks Erik

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Allegedly the AP1.0 liquidation you saw in Q3 2016 was a mistake, completely unknown to Elon, and relegated to a few cars that were in showrooms. In other news leprechauns are real.

Tesla used their "oops" mulligan on that situation. Doing it again would be a permanent and irreversible departure from the no-discounts-everyone-same-price paradigm that Tesla takes pride in. So I don't see a situation where it happens again.

Given that they try not to budge on the price of the vehicles, does anyone have any experience with their willingness to wheel and deal on trade-in values to close a sale? I'm having them work on a proposal to take both my Roadster and a LEAF on trade for a new S60D. Haven't seen any numbers yet though...

Given that they try not to budge on the price of the vehicles, does anyone have any experience with their willingness to wheel and deal on trade-in values to close a sale? I'm having them work on a proposal to take both my Roadster and a LEAF on trade for a new S60D. Haven't seen any numbers yet though...
They sure wouldn't deal with me. The trade-ins are handled by a third party. I got a few hundred more for my LEAF selling it through Craig's list, even counting the sales tax savings from a trade-in in my state.

FWIW.

They sure wouldn't deal with me. The trade-ins are handled by a third party. I got a few hundred more for my LEAF selling it through Craig's list, even counting the sales tax savings from a trade-in in my state.

FWIW.

They clearly didn't want to deal with mine either. Just got the trade-in offer and it's $32k below KBB on the roadster lol. I'd say KBB is a bit higher than it should be, but it's not THAT far off.

They don't negotiate on trades. The trades are handled by a wholesaler. He calculates the value of the car and that's what Tesla offers because that's what they are paid. If you get an offer from Carmax (which is darn near a wholesaler in terms of trade values) that is higher, they will honor that if offer was in last 5 days. In general, trading in to Tesla makes no sense whatsoever unless you are getting real sales tax reductions on the new car purchase by doing so (some states discount the tax by the value of the trade in).