Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on ART Replica 171 wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Apparently, there's a new set of 18in replica wheels for the Model 3 with almost identical specs to the OEM aero wheels...
Art Replica Wheels - Replica 171 - Gun Metal

Unlike the R187, these appear to be lighter (26lbs vs 21lbs) and wider (8in vs 8.5in), respectively. They also seem to come in gun metal color, but from the picture, a bit lighter than the R187.

Wondering if someone got these for their car and what your thoughts are... I'm considering getting these for the summer and keep the aero wheels for the winter.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Best guess is that it will fit since it's a replica. Worse comes to worst, I know this is a horrible alternative solution but, if it doesn't, we can always get some decals: Tesla Wheel Center Cap Model S/X T Logo Insert Decals Stickers Kit Many Colors | eBay

In terms of quality, the R187 are JWL/VIA certified. I've asked DAI to confirm what certification backs the ART 171, as this will decide whether I take them or not. Will let you know if/when I get a reply.

Awesome thanks for the info. I did a quick render and I'm really torn on the lighter colour vs the R187.

rims.jpg

Couldn't do it, liked the R187 too much to change my mind. Without a real picture to confirm if they are slightly darker, I didn't want to risk it.

Our longest trip that we do once a month can be done in the summer easily and with a bit more thought in the winter. But I will have aeros on in the winter anyway, so I figure with the extra weight, I will end up right back to where I was before the software update with extra range.

Post pics if you get them.

Very nice. I like the price and the weight.

The centre bore is listed at 64.2mm vs the Model 3 hub which is 64.1mm.
Is this 1mm difference an issue? Would we need to use a hub ring to fit tightly, and would that cause issues?
Sorry I am very new to this.

Reached out to PMC Tire and they said these are new and won't be available until the Summer.

Very nice. I like the price and the weight.

The centre bore is listed at 64.2mm vs the Model 3 hub which is 64.1mm.
Is this 1mm difference an issue? Would we need to use a hub ring to fit tightly, and would that cause issues?
Sorry I am very new to this.

Reached out to PMC Tire and they said these are new and won't be available until the Summer.

Disregard the 1mm difference. I realize it is 0.1mm difference, and that is so minimal that I doubt it matters.

I asked WheelWiz about the time frame on these Rims
So might just have to put the summer tires back on the Aeros for this season.. and winters back on the Aeros for next winter.
PMC has a date on the site now for May 27, 2019.
Just purchased mine from Handler Wheels in Montreal. They are really good looking, better in person than in person. Will post a picture of them installed on April 27th.
How much were they from Handler Wheels? Looking forward to the pics

Just put an order in for these on PMC. Going to swap rubber from Areo OEM to these. Going to use the Areos with wheel caps and winter tires in winter to gain some lost range from colder climate. Loving that these are oem fit for such a low price. In the USA these will be an outright steal. That's why I bought them early.

Just purchased mine from Handler Wheels in Montreal. They are really good looking, better in person than in person. Will post a picture of them installed on April 27th.
Really interested to know what the color looks like in person? Are they a lighter or darker gunmetal? Also really interested to know if Tesla center caps and factory wheel nuts work with the wheels? Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
Since the 64.2 mm centre bore is almost the same as OEM 64.1mm bore, is there any possibility that the Aero Covers may fit on these Replica 171 rims?

Was already eyeballing these rims but have been trying to find something that I could use my Aero Covers on for longer trips. Small efficiency gain but it would still be a benefit.

Happy to see these are back in stock end of May. I've held off on ordering a second set of rims so I can find an OEM fit with low weight at a good price.
This checks all those boxes as far as I can tell.

Can anybody talk me out of buying these? Am I missing anything? :)

I understand low unsprung weight is a good thing, but does that mean this wheel is less dense, and thus, more prone to cracking?
Or are they actually using higher quality, low-weight material than some of the more expensive wheels out there.

Note: The price seems to have jumped $8 per wheel since it was out of stock. Previously was $160, now $168.

Thanks in advance!