Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on buying an older Model S P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody, figured this would be a great forum to ask about buying an older Tesla. I used to have a 2013 85 that I loved but sold it because the battery warranty was expiring and it had a ton of miles on the original battery.

The one I'm thinking about is a P85 with about 50,000 miles. Decent condition, minor accident but has been repaired, clean title. My question is how do the older battery packs hold up when they have low mileage? I'd hate to get it and then have to pay 20k for a replacement shortly down the line.

I'm getting ready to sell my 2015 P85D with about a year and a half of CPO warranty and I'm hoping that provides some assurance to the next driver beyond the battery warranty alone... but so far my battery has also shown very little degradation, although I've been pretty religious about charging practices (charging to 60% if I'm not using it and only charging to 90% if I really need it) and I think that has contributed to its longevity.

I'd also say if looking for a used 85D I'd see if you can ask for the service history... particularly I'd look for one that has had the door handles replaced with the latest revision (all mine were eventually replaced with the latest generation which seems to be more reliable) and see if you get any bonuses like replaced drive units which would bode well for future reliability. Honestly it's those little things that scare me more than the battery failing (while it is very possible) especially on an 85 vs a 90 (which I believe had some degradation issues). If you aren't handy and can DIY the Tesla repair prices can be a bit daunting especially if you have older generation components in place that have been revised at this point.

I also look to see if the trunk cinch motor has been replaced.. I've had two done early in my ownership but the last one has been reliable so far.

The last thing I would check is to see if it has had a MCU2 upgrade.. I did this on mine and it was a night and day difference. If the previous owner has already done it it's a huge bonus (and protection from the MCU1 flash failure issue).

Reactions: The Lorax
I'm getting ready to sell my 2015 P85D with about a year and a half of CPO warranty and I'm hoping that provides some assurance to the next driver beyond the battery warranty alone... but so far my battery has also shown very little degradation, although I've been pretty religious about charging practices (charging to 60% if I'm not using it and only charging to 90% if I really need it) and I think that has contributed to its longevity.

I'd also say if looking for a used 85D I'd see if you can ask for the service history... particularly I'd look for one that has had the door handles replaced with the latest revision (all mine were eventually replaced with the latest generation which seems to be more reliable) and see if you get any bonuses like replaced drive units which would bode well for future reliability. Honestly it's those little things that scare me more than the battery failing (while it is very possible) especially on an 85 vs a 90 (which I believe had some degradation issues). If you aren't handy and can DIY the Tesla repair prices can be a bit daunting especially if you have older generation components in place that have been revised at this point.

I also look to see if the trunk cinch motor has been replaced.. I've had two done early in my ownership but the last one has been reliable so far.

The last thing I would check is to see if it has had a MCU2 upgrade.. I did this on mine and it was a night and day difference. If the previous owner has already done it it's a huge bonus (and protection from the MCU1 flash failure issue).
Nice, thanks for the reply. I'm medium handy, replaced the media screen on my 2013 85 a few times, wasn't that bad. This has had the front door handles replaced, not sure about the drive unit but I could ask. The current owner thinks the MCU has been replaced with V2 but it may have just been the eMMC, how would I tell if it's MCU v2?

Its a 2013 P85, drives great and still has like 255 range so I'm fairly sure the battery has been taken care of. So it sounds like I shouldn't be worried if the battery has been taken care of and it has low mileage on it? I just don't want to get into a situation where I have to replace the battery in a year or two and I'm out $20k.

The easiest way to tell is to reboot the MCU from the steering wheel... on MCU1 you have to hold the two scroll wheels to reset just the MCU and I believe the upper buttons to reset the screen in front of the steering wheel.. on MCU2 both the main display and the gauge cluster use the same computer so they will both reboot at the same time if you do a normal reset.

Mcu2 has Netflix, also, if you sold since you were concerned about battery longevity I'd be more worried about time than miles (within reason). Seems like 125k-200k is when a lot of posts had some kind of battery failure. I think its a crapshoot and will be selling mine if I can find a good deal on an x100 or ylr.

Yeah. I was worried about the actual age of the battery. I really don't know enough about these batteries and if time or use affects them more, but I agree that it would be a crapshoot. Wish the replacement batteries weren't so expensive, that would really increase the longevity of these cars. Maybe I should pass and just get something else.

I‘ve been doing some reading up as I debated keeping my 2013 85 vs get a new model Y. A new battery is $22k but others are getting refurbished batteries for around $10k. They are supposedly not fully ranged and supercharger rate limited like the current older batteries but at worst you won’t be stuck with having to spend 20k to get your car back moving.

I hope I'm not too late to save a few souls here??

I've had a wonderful, loaded 2013 Tesla P85 for 6 or 7 years now. Bought her directly from Tesla w/37K miles, and she now has 133K mostly trouble-free miles. The RWD drive unit was replaced under warranty, but everything else was fairly minor.

Really an amazing vehicle, especially pushing to about 8/10ths on sweeping mountain roads. The airbag suspension provides an absolute sublime ride. And the handling is shockingly planted and balanced. It's hard to find the edge of adhesion given how low the car sits on the road and with 50/50 (or so) weight distribution. I got into a "Y" because my wife thought they were cute, but they springy ride ruined it for me. Anyway, I digress....

YOU ARE CORRECT. MOST PEOPLE SHOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE GETTING INTO A TESLA WITH AN EXPIRED WARRANTY.
HOWEVER, IF YOUR THE TYPE THAT ENJOYS BURNING MONEY, THEN MAYBE IT IS THEY RIGHT CHOICE AFTER ALL...

Why the bitterness. Dave? "Timmy", as my oldest child named our P85 Tesla, has had very little battery degradation over the years. I'm not a regular "record keeper" like some scientists here, but I do occasionally compare Tesla penis lengths, and Timmy has always been in the upper quartile of battery length. I do charge slowly, in my garage, and supercharge only a handful of times per year. That and the weather here swings from a frigid 57 degrees F to a scorching 83 degrees F. Kidding. SoCal weather is heaven on earth. Anyway, I digress...

DON'T BE LULLED INTO A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY
Timmy is/was still running 243 miles RANGE at 90% battery capacity setting in "ideal" conditions. I'm an optimist, so I choose "Ideal" over "rated". When out of the blue, a concerning notification showed up on my onboard display screen while driving, "BATTERY CHARGING REDUCED...". And as Astro from "The Jetson's would say to George, "RU-ROH, REORGE!".

So I drove Timmy to a Tesla SC and with only 133K miles, I WAS ADVISED I'D NEED A "NEW" BATTERY. PRICED BETWEEN $14K and $20K large. Now given I have a Performance 85 model, you and I both know my costs will be at the higher-end of this scale, right? AND you and I both know the advisor know this, too, right? But I don't blame the advisor for now wanting to tell me the cold hard fact that I'd been taken by the lure of the Tesla dream that batteries will last sooo long. Kinda like autopilot will definitely self-drive extensively in this next version.

Anyway, adding fuel to the fire, I was informed of an 8-12 WEEK WAIT FOR A NEW BATTERY and that NO LOANERS WOULD BE PROVIDED. That's 2-3 months without my car, an expected $22K bill, plus the costs to buy/rent alternative transport for 2-3 months. Let's call that, what, $9K? Or $100 per day. So we're at $32K-ish. or 3 miles of dollar bills. (I did the math. It's not right, but close enough)

THERE ARE NO NEW BATTERIES FOR MY P85
And this is just that they don't make 85KW anymore, there's just no inventory of 90 or 100kws for me either. According to the advisor, they will likely only be able to get me a "remanufactured" battery. You know what that means? Re-used parts, looser tollerances, and very likely a shorter life span. Well at least that's what's reflected in the greatly reduced factory warranty for remand products. Youch!

I WONDER WHAT THE RANGE OF A REMAN BATTERY IS? Maybe 1/2 of my original 133K distance? Or is it only the length of the warranty, which could be limited to 1-2 years. Not yet known exactly by me. Let's be generous and call it 67K miles - or 4.25 years for the average CA driver. And let's assume assume costs are only for the battery and labor. You'll just walk from your breakfast nook to your desk to work, so no rental car really needed. Thank you for that one gift Covid-19. So in my rough math, that will be $22K every 4.25 years. Or with some rounding...
THAT'S $458 EVERY MONTH TO KEEP A TESLA IN BATTERIES. FROM NOW ON.

SO AS MUCH AS I LOVE CARS, BOATS, PLANES AND TRAINS, AND MY TESLA HAS TOPPED THIS LIST, I CANNOT IGNORE THE SIGNS HERE. THESE TESLA MACHINES DO NOT SEEM TO HAVE THE LONGEVITY TO MATCH THE EXPECTATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN SET OR PERHAPS I'VE LONGED FOR.

WHAT WILL I DO??
Perhaps like many here, I truly wanted Timmy to last for my foreseeable future. Minimizing waste by keeping the car forever. But at $458 a month just for batteries? That's ridiculous. They're not even charged batteries. :) So tomorrow (today at this point) I will sell the car for junk, maybe $15K? Altho blowing her up does sound fun! Maybe using a Tesla Flame Thrower? And recorded by a Telsa Pi phone!! (Sh*te! I digress again). So, $15K from the scrap. Plus $22K from the reman battery ($37K-ish now) and then I will pony-up another $40-50K to buy a new(er) Model S/X with as much warranty as possible. I'll run this next Tesla til 85K miles or so. Then sell or run til I scrap again.

Certainly not my original intent, but I can't see pouring in soo much good money after bad. But I cannot stomach "gas-pump-life" anymore, so I'll just reduce my expectations of Tesla, Tesla cars, EVs, and man-in-general.

Man-o-man! "Gas-pump-life" t-shirts. Model them after "Salt-Life" brand. Hot rods, motorcicles, gas masks, cancer warning labels. That shirt would sell like hot-cakes! Might help pay for a new-ish, warrantied, Tesla every 5 years.

I hope I'm not too late to save a few souls here??

I've had a wonderful, loaded 2013 Tesla P85 for 6 or 7 years now. Bought her directly from Tesla w/37K miles, and she now has 133K mostly trouble-free miles. The RWD drive unit was replaced under warranty, but everything else was fairly minor.

Really an amazing vehicle, especially pushing to about 8/10ths on sweeping mountain roads. The airbag suspension provides an absolute sublime ride. And the handling is shockingly planted and balanced. It's hard to find the edge of adhesion given how low the car sits on the road and with 50/50 (or so) weight distribution. I got into a "Y" because my wife thought they were cute, but they springy ride ruined it for me. Anyway, I digress....

YOU ARE CORRECT. MOST PEOPLE SHOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE GETTING INTO A TESLA WITH AN EXPIRED WARRANTY.
HOWEVER, IF YOUR THE TYPE THAT ENJOYS BURNING MONEY, THEN MAYBE IT IS THEY RIGHT CHOICE AFTER ALL...

Why the bitterness. Dave? "Timmy", as my oldest child named our P85 Tesla, has had very little battery degradation over the years. I'm not a regular "record keeper" like some scientists here, but I do occasionally compare Tesla penis lengths, and Timmy has always been in the upper quartile of battery length. I do charge slowly, in my garage, and supercharge only a handful of times per year. That and the weather here swings from a frigid 57 degrees F to a scorching 83 degrees F. Kidding. SoCal weather is heaven on earth. Anyway, I digress...

DON'T BE LULLED INTO A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY
Timmy is/was still running 243 miles RANGE at 90% battery capacity setting in "ideal" conditions. I'm an optimist, so I choose "Ideal" over "rated". When out of the blue, a concerning notification showed up on my onboard display screen while driving, "BATTERY CHARGING REDUCED...". And as Astro from "The Jetson's would say to George, "RU-ROH, REORGE!".

So I drove Timmy to a Tesla SC and with only 133K miles, I WAS ADVISED I'D NEED A "NEW" BATTERY. PRICED BETWEEN $14K and $20K large. Now given I have a Performance 85 model, you and I both know my costs will be at the higher-end of this scale, right? AND you and I both know the advisor know this, too, right? But I don't blame the advisor for now wanting to tell me the cold hard fact that I'd been taken by the lure of the Tesla dream that batteries will last sooo long. Kinda like autopilot will definitely self-drive extensively in this next version.

Anyway, adding fuel to the fire, I was informed of an 8-12 WEEK WAIT FOR A NEW BATTERY and that NO LOANERS WOULD BE PROVIDED. That's 2-3 months without my car, an expected $22K bill, plus the costs to buy/rent alternative transport for 2-3 months. Let's call that, what, $9K? Or $100 per day. So we're at $32K-ish. or 3 miles of dollar bills. (I did the math. It's not right, but close enough)

THERE ARE NO NEW BATTERIES FOR MY P85
And this is just that they don't make 85KW anymore, there's just no inventory of 90 or 100kws for me either. According to the advisor, they will likely only be able to get me a "remanufactured" battery. You know what that means? Re-used parts, looser tollerances, and very likely a shorter life span. Well at least that's what's reflected in the greatly reduced factory warranty for remand products. Youch!

I WONDER WHAT THE RANGE OF A REMAN BATTERY IS? Maybe 1/2 of my original 133K distance? Or is it only the length of the warranty, which could be limited to 1-2 years. Not yet known exactly by me. Let's be generous and call it 67K miles - or 4.25 years for the average CA driver. And let's assume assume costs are only for the battery and labor. You'll just walk from your breakfast nook to your desk to work, so no rental car really needed. Thank you for that one gift Covid-19. So in my rough math, that will be $22K every 4.25 years. Or with some rounding...
THAT'S $458 EVERY MONTH TO KEEP A TESLA IN BATTERIES. FROM NOW ON.

SO AS MUCH AS I LOVE CARS, BOATS, PLANES AND TRAINS, AND MY TESLA HAS TOPPED THIS LIST, I CANNOT IGNORE THE SIGNS HERE. THESE TESLA MACHINES DO NOT SEEM TO HAVE THE LONGEVITY TO MATCH THE EXPECTATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN SET OR PERHAPS I'VE LONGED FOR.

WHAT WILL I DO??
Perhaps like many here, I truly wanted Timmy to last for my foreseeable future. Minimizing waste by keeping the car forever. But at $458 a month just for batteries? That's ridiculous. They're not even charged batteries. :) So tomorrow (today at this point) I will sell the car for junk, maybe $15K? Altho blowing her up does sound fun! Maybe using a Tesla Flame Thrower? And recorded by a Telsa Pi phone!! (Sh*te! I digress again). So, $15K from the scrap. Plus $22K from the reman battery ($37K-ish now) and then I will pony-up another $40-50K to buy a new(er) Model S/X with as much warranty as possible. I'll run this next Tesla til 85K miles or so. Then sell or run til I scrap again.

Certainly not my original intent, but I can't see pouring in soo much good money after bad. But I cannot stomach "gas-pump-life" anymore, so I'll just reduce my expectations of Tesla, Tesla cars, EVs, and man-in-general.

Man-o-man! "Gas-pump-life" t-shirts. Model them after "Salt-Life" brand. Hot rods, motorcicles, gas masks, cancer warning labels. That shirt would sell like hot-cakes! Might help pay for a new-ish, warrantied, Tesla every 5 years.
Nice, thanks for the write-up of your experience here. I'm definitely worried about the battery going bad and investigating 3rd party warranty companies right now. The guy still has the car, 2013 P85 with 55k miles but man...those battery packs are so spendy!

The battery failure is indeed a risk beyond the warranty. Many stories in the Battery & Charging: Model S: Battery & Charging

Out of those, there are two options from Tesla: Reman battery, for 12k, and new battery for 22k.
Both are covered by the same 4y warranty.
The remain is indeed similar to what we know from the old 85 batteries. It will have thus similar range as a used 85 (between 5 to 10% degradation), and will slow charge.
New batteries have better range than the original 85. They charge faster too, though not as fast as a 100, due apparently to smaller cabling capacity "inside". The chemistry is that from the 100, so it will age differently than the 85. But only time will tell.

As for the loaner, several got loaners, but some indeed report lack of loaners, but some get Uber or rentals. Not sure what the warranty contains and requires from Tesla.

Another risk, is the drive unit, which has the same warranty of 8y. This one is around 6k.

Battery replacements are definitely expensive, in my case I had a bunch of small things break that made me wonder if other systems were going to go as well. Door handles, led lights in rear, etc. Loved loved the car, model 3 is crap in comparison but ultimately just needed something til 2025 when cybertruck comes out.

Someone thread reader was asking to buy my car. Sorry she’s already sold. And to follow up - after I sold my 2013 P85 w/133k miles, I bought a 2016 Model S P100D w/ 34k miles directly from Tesla. $70k. I’m pissed about my P85, but does any other car really compare? I tried Model X P100D but too complex and the fit and finish were very concerning. Panel gaps, window seals, too many hydraulics, etc. I test drive a mid-level Y and I’ve been in model 3’d, but both lack air suspension and seem like toys, not automobiles. Sorry. Maybe a Taycan but not proven, inferior performance and too costly. I guess 0-60mph in 2.5 will make me smile. Car will be delivered on Monday!

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
I’m surprised that there isn’t more consideration for third party shops that will refurb the modules that need such. @$37k to get your beloved P85 back, why wouldn’t you consider an independent shop? Even shipping the car both ways could be far less expensive than Tesla. Plus, some offer extended warranties even for expired Tesla drive trains.