Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on buying Used M3 LR RWD vs. New SR+?

New '20 SR+ or Used LR RWD?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have an order for a new Std Range+ but found a LR RWD that's a bit more expensive and it is tempting. Would like some feedback on this choice

Pros of LR RWD:
Range
Premium interior
First year depreciation paid

Cons of LR RWD:
10% more expensive
Not full warranty
Missing unknown running changes/improvements from past year

I realize the known manufacturing differences are minor. I'm not worried about not getting the new wireless charger, etc. Mainly worried about less known differences that might make the new latest and greatest SR+ better in the long run.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Dk

As an EV driver since 2006, I found early on that "Range is King". Unless you KNOW you will never drive it more than a hundred miles (because it's always more than that) sooner or later you'll wish you had more range, because all of a sudden you have to take a different route which leads you past a charger, or, max embarrassment, you have to be flat-bedded to the next charger because you didn't realize you were going uphill and ran out five miles from it. Buy what you want, but remember that: Range is King. Says my wifey, "Sooner or later you'll be sorry if you don't get it." I concur.

Many of the new gimmicks we find we never use, and maybe you would. But the important updates still come over the air, and you don't miss out. Just my $.02 worth, plus tax, license, shipping, carrying charges, and state and local charges.

I was considering the same choice of options for several months. I went with the new SR+. I can get into the reasons, but the simplest way to put it is "how much do the pro's of the LR matter to you?" Other than the additional range, they did not matter much to me. Given that 90% of my driving is 125 miles or less, it became a no-brainer to get the newer vehicle with a full warranty.

This was my decision 10 months ago. iI was between used 2017/2018 LR RWD's and I went with a new 2019 SR+ instead.

Got enticed with end of Q3 incentives; 2 years of free supercharging and free premium connectivity for life. Wouldn't have gotten that with a used LR RWD.

10 months later, I want a better sound system and more power! (SR+ does have a great sound system when turned up midway or higher, but has dead noise from the rear and no thumpin sub.

With that said though I am very happy with what I have and it's exactly price wise what I wanted to spend at the time. Now, I can afford a Dual Motor but I'd be wasting my money selling and upgrading for a few things I don't need so I'm just going to duke it out and enjoy my maintenance free SR+ for years to come. It's already gotten 2 free power boosts since I got it. 0-60 in 4.9 now and plenty of range anywhere I've gone. And can't forget Autopilot standard.

I'd go with the SR+ only if the LR isn't what you want 100% spec wise, unless you don't care. Looks were a key deciding factor for me (White interior and 19" sport rims). The LR's had aero's and black interior and the Gen 1 seats which I didn't want. I was ultimately set on white interior with black, white or red exterior. Of course you can change most of that with mods afterwards (ended up wrapping my car)

Last edited:
I own both a SR+ 3 and AWD LR Y, the range on the Y is sweet having to only stop once from San Diego to Vegas. If you’re going to be taking long trips a lot then the LR for sure, it gives you a lot more options to stop and charge.

If you’re going on long trips every once in a while and will be doing more local driving for work and school then the SR+ is the perfect ride for that. Also you can take the SR+ on long trips as well as long as there’s lots of Superchargers where you are heading, I’ve taken the SR+ to Las Vegas 3x now, no issue but stoping to charge twice in between.

As far as the sound system in the AWD LR, 15 speakers 2 amps and a Sub is nice but we don’t play it loud, the sound is crisp and the bass is there. The sound system on the SR+ is 8 speakers with no Sub, but it sounds awesome too. Again I don’t blast the music so it sounds perfect for me.

Exampe of my Trip

AWD LR
Depart San Diego 310 miles at 100% charge
Charge in Yermo Ca
Arrive in Las Vegas

SR+
Depart San Diego 230 miles at 100%
Charge at Rancho Cucamonga
Charge at Yermo Ca
Arrive in Las Vegas

So with the SR+ I am making one extra stop
to Supercharge.

Fred

Owner of a LR AWD here. I would go SR+ if I were you. Since I bought my car there has only been one extreme situation (long distance driving to the mountains in -10 degree weather) where the extra range was needed. If you have an ICE car to rely on for those rare situations then SR+ is the way to go. One major benefit I would imagine would be the almost 500 lbs weight difference aiding the handling and breaking over the LR. I feel like the stock tires and suspension is really struggling with the weight and performance of the LR Model 3.

Reactions: cdswm3
How often do you do long trips > 200 miles round trip? And how often do you do such trips in the winter?
And do you have access to an ICE as backup?
Does your state have incentives for new Tesla cars? New Jersey has ridiculous incentives for a new Tesla that makes a used one not really viable unless the economics are in favor.
do you have the ability to charge at home?
My experience is that Supercharger network will cover you almost anywhere but you need to think differently and plan stops.

This car is primarily for road trips. We frequently go on trips over 200 miles, but stick mainly to FL. Plenty of superchargers where we go. For the kinds of trips we take, I've used ABRP to plan theoretical routes and having the LR (at least in theory) would save on average 20 min per round trip.

I do have an ICE but don't want to use it.

FL so zero incentives unfortunately.

Thanks for the ideas, this gives me lots to think about.

Dk

How often do you do long trips > 200 miles round trip? And how often do you do such trips in the winter?
And do you have access to an ICE as backup?
Does your state have incentives for new Tesla cars? New Jersey has ridiculous incentives for a new Tesla that makes a used one not really viable unless the economics are in favor.
do you have the ability to charge at home?
My experience is that Supercharger network will cover you almost anywhere but you need to think differently and plan stops.

Get the SR+ it’s faster than the LR RWD and probably better built. The interior is the same regardless of the “premium” title

For 0-60, SR+ is 5.3s and LR RWD is 5.0s after the 2019 power boost update.

This car is primarily for road trips. We frequently go on trips over 200 miles, but stick mainly to FL. Plenty of superchargers where we go. For the kinds of trips we take, I've used ABRP to plan theoretical routes and having the LR (at least in theory) would save on average 20 min per round trip.

Which one to choose depends on the details of how/when/where you travel. For example, how busy are Superchargers where you want to go, especially during the holidays? Here in CA, the 5 minute Supercharger overhead, which ABRP applies by default, can easily become 15 minutes or more during peak times along some routes. Do you plan to drive somewhere cold, such as New England ski resorts? If so, then the extra range would save even more time. If cost isn't an issue, I'd always recommend the longer range option for a car that you plan to take on roadtrips.

Also note that the LR RWD has the most understated range of all Tesla cars, especially back when they were advertised with a 310 mile range: Teslike.com.