Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on demo Vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I wouldn't have any problem with it if it meets your specs. 85 miles is practically nothing. Just check the condition and be good to go.

My guess is most people floor it once or twice on a test ride but there's no wearable parts or ICE break-in period. The other part of the test ride is pretty tame getting used to the controls and checking out the tech. With only 85 miles it probably had less than 10 drives.

Edit: As glide says, assuming there is a price reduction.

Last edited:
Personally I don’t think it’s worth a few Hundred bucks. But if you can’t wait, it’s worth it. I sold my car in June and I’m guessing I’ll get one end of august. We are down to 1 car and wfh but it has meant some inconveniences.

Thanks for both replies! a few hundred bucks off, nothing crazy.

The only caveat now, is that i sold my car and am carless.. so option is to wait the 5-9 weeks or go with this son of a gun
You'll forget about those extra miles the first day you have it. If it's in perfect shape, I'd go for it. Coming from someone in the 8-12 week wait and is carless borrowing someone's car until it gets here. I'd say a few hundred off is worth the instant gratification...but, I may be in the minority.

I wouldn't let anyone drive my brand new car's first 85 miles for a couple hundred bucks after I bought it. So happening in reverse that's not enough incentive for me.
Time savings... well you have to put your own price tag on that.

I got a $1050 off for 150 mile demo at the end of 2019 when Tesla was having their a huge sales heyday, so I was surprised I got that much off. If I didn't go for the demo, I would have missed out on the $1875 tax rebate, and then the price of M3's had gone up $1000 since that build, so it was almost $4000 less and 2 months sooner of getting the car, so I went for it.

My car was still sold as a "new car." If it wasn't considered a new car, I probably wouldn't have done it.

There was absolutely nothing cosmetically worn on the car. Not even the slightest curb rash. The car has been solid mechanically, so that $4000 was well worth it.

This is definitely one of those things you'll have to decide for yourself. There are going to be people that absolutely would not, under any circumstances and no matter the discount, purchase a demo vehicle. Then there's going to be people that would do it for no discount. And of course, those that would do it for the "correct" amount of applied discount.

And then there's you. ;)

I would've bought my car if it had been a demo model, as long as it met my cosmetic requirements. Sure, I would've asked for a discount, but that wouldn't have kept me from buying it if they'd said no. But that's just me. :)

I know how I drove the demo vehicle. If it were an ICE vehicle there is absolutely no way I'd buy it for a paltry few hundred $ off. With an electric, that matters quite a bit less so long as the kick panels, wheels, seats, etc are all in great shape.

I'd go for it if time is that critical for you and you absolutely need a car now. If you can wait, get a new one.

Just to add another data point, I purchased a "used" 2020 LR AWD from Tesla that was a Model Y trade in. It had 2,700 miles, and the purchase price was $43,400.

Your real issue is the cost of going 8 weeks without your car. If you are planning on renting a car or using a ride share service that could get very expensive. If they had a brand new one ready to go I would definitely take that one rather than buying a demo model to save a few hundred dollars.

The demo probably has had all panel gaps and paint defects fixed so that it shows well for prospective buyers. It could be better than "new." I bought a demo model S with 500 miles. Got $3060 discount and car is perfect.

Reactions: pacopico
Just called my nearby dealership and they had 1 demo vehicle available in the same specs i was looking for with 85 miles. Do you think its worth it and what are your experiences with demo vehicles?
My VIN and vehicle were “accidentally” used as a demo vehicle over the weekend before I got it, and it ended up having 375 miles on it when I picked it up.

I only rejected the vehicle because they didn’t tell me, until I asked, why I got a vehicle with 375 miles, when originally the details were for 14 miles on the vehicle (standard from factory/shipment). I unfortunately didn’t find out until I got home from delivery, to notice the additional miles.

Having said all that, if they would’ve told me ahead of time, and been transparent about it, I would’ve gladly accepted a demo vehicle, with some miles, as long as the price was reduced.

81 miles is nothing. I call it still new. Mine was new, but due to Covid, they drove it to my house for delivery, and put on 55 miles before I got it. Since you're out of a car and prefer not to wait, I would take the couple hundred and get the car, as long as it all is in good shape, of course.