Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts On e-tron GT Family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s pretty well established at this point that there’s no way a Model S actually goes 400 miles in the real world. Meanwhile Edmunds got 323(!) miles out of a “203 mile” Taycan 4S.

This is true. My S does not get 400 miles on a charge, but I'll tell you what: The range is a lot further than my wife's 3. I'm so happy that a Taycan is doing so well, but I think my S beats it. EPA says my range is 391. Pretty close to 400, I'd say, and not enough to quibble about.

After driving electrics since 2002, I have learned that "Range is King". It lessens charge times on trips, allowing for leaving the motel full, then recharging once while you eat lunch. That's maybe 700 miles in a day, and that's a ten hour drive. It beats every other car out there for range, has great looks, acceleration, comfort, quiet, blah de blah.

Another thing that is often overlooked: Tesla is not competing with other car companies. They LEAD. If it weren't for Tesla there wouldn't be any other electrics.

wasn’t your need to use greenlots user error? because there were other people on that date that reported via plugshare the EA chargers were working fine?

admittedly it’s embarassing that there are like 6 different ways you have to try and get an EA charger to turn on
  1. Plug and Charger if it works - good luck with mustang reviewers so far - seems to always work
  2. Point of Sale card swipe
  3. EA app
  4. Porsche Connect App
  5. Charging America App
  6. Call EA support
but if I recall from other forums (because you’ve been spamming this story all over the forums for the past 3 or 4 days) - you only tried one of those methods? and if you had tried one of the other methods EA would’ve charge your Taycan just fine, and faster than any supercharger…but heh I’m not defending a sucking app eco-system or saying EA is better - but you were not exactly stranded if you would’ve at least tried something else.

so posting my experience is SPAMMING? really
I tried everything you listed, was on with EA support that repeatedly could not get ONE unit at that site to initiate a charge to my car.
you do understand that there is a handshake involved, and for whatever reason the handshake did not happen
we need to distinguish between truly stranded (nothing will work I’m screwed) and OMG this stuff is sooo far behind Tesla on ease of use that I can’t believe they think this will work for most people…
I would consider being a charging station with a low SOC and not able to charge to be within the realm of stranded, fortunately there was a greenlots unit fairly close by, if I was in a different place I may not have been so fortunate.
EA clearly fits the latter, and rarely the former…and I’ve personally seen marked progress over the past 6 months, and there is no reason to believe it’s going to stop…more EV vendors are jumping on the EA bandwagon and pressure will make them perform…
porsche does not say coming soon in their promotional marketing, it says that I will be able to use the Electrify America units to charge my car from 5% soc to 80% soc in 22 minutes, it says that the car is capable of communicating with the charger to initiate the charging session. that has not occurred for me yet, I have had to use the app to get the charging initiated. so while you have had some success with the EA units, I had a complete fail, does your or anyone else's story negate my story?
Tesla has the lead for a while, but all the problem with EA are fixable - it’s only a matter of time - and then these issues will be
fixable? porsche is selling the system now, not in some future time.
yeah EA sucks and can need improvement - but their entire network isn’t down because you had trouble at one location in florida - and later in the same day didn’t you successfully use an EA charger?
I was able to charge albeit with the assistance of EA support and jockeying from unit to unit the day before 2 fails out of 3 is not a good record.
if you are driving a gasser and go to 3 filling stations and 2 of them cannot put fuel into your car is that considered acceptable? the EA system lacks consistent reliability, which is crucial. getting into the car, embarking on a road trip and not knowing if you will be able to complete the trip because you cannot get the car charged is in my book unacceptable.
EA is no where near as good as Tesla’s network, but in the past 6 months I’ve been personally having greater success with them in my local area in california…
that's great but that is not my experience.
and in Paso Robles I had my best EV charging experience ever - when you roll up to a functional 350 kW charger the Porsche product’s sustained charging rate and lack of taper until about 93% SOC is best EV charging speed in the entire industry - hell even at a 150 kW charger it beats both my Model 3P and my Wife’s Model X -well over 100 kW charge rate that doesn’t start to taper until after 85% SOC…
unfortunately I am thousands of miles from paso

I don't know why some of you feel the need to challenge someone who is pointing out severe flaws encountered with the charging.

Reactions: BlindPass
Anybody seen a good Taycan vs E Tron comparison? Planning on test driving a Taycan this summer. Perhaps I should look closely at an E Tron also. I've never owned either so the Porsche ownership posts have been helpful. No idea of how Audi treats their customers.
That is my plan, as well. Later in the year (current lease up next year at this time) I plan on driving the Taycan, Audi E-tron GT RS and the Model S plaid or plaid +. I will have a much better idea of what I want then.

who cares about it going that fast??? lol....sure its the auto bahn but still...Try that in usa and you will lose your license!! and your car or your life.
oh my, there are these places called race tracks where you can speed to your hearts content, and out there in the wide open spaces of the western US I am sure there are a few places where you can run the car a bit.