Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts On e-tron GT Family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
theres more than meets the eye for the taycan and hopefully will translate to the audi line. over promise under deliver is the tesla motto, flip that around for porsche.

It's all in how you market it. As many Chevy Volt owners know, the Gen 2 Volt is rated 53 miles all electric and it was not uncommon in summer months to get 60+ and even 70 miles of range.

If Tesla said the current refresh Model S was rated for 300 miles and most people were able to get 340 miles, people would be singing Elon's praises. Instead, the car is rated at 400 miles, people get 340 and complain.

theres more than meets the eye for the taycan and hopefully will translate to the audi line. over promise under deliver is the tesla motto, flip that around for porsche.
there is a lot of troubles brewing in the world of porsche and audi EVs.
while the cars are impressive in both interior appointments and exterior there are massive problems with the electronics and with their fast charging at the Electrify America units. there are also issues with their onboard computers.

one thing about the tesla super chargers, they are reliable and can be counted on to provide a charge almost always. this is not the case with electrify america. taking an extended road trip in a taycan and soon to come Etron is akin to rolling the dice if you plan on depending on the EA units to be operating.

while the cars are impressive in both interior appointments and exterior there are massive problems with the electronics and with their fast charging at the Electrify America units. there are also issues with their onboard computers.

one thing about the tesla super chargers, they are reliable and can be counted on to provide a charge almost always. this is not the case with electrify america. taking an extended road trip in a taycan and soon to come Etron is akin to rolling the dice if you plan on depending on the EA units to be operating.

Fair enough to say that, its apart of the growing phase. Hopefully they able to iron these issues out soon because it will be very annoying for new customers

It's all in how you market it. As many Chevy Volt owners know, the Gen 2 Volt is rated 53 miles all electric and it was not uncommon in summer months to get 60+ and even 70 miles of range.

If Tesla said the current refresh Model S was rated for 300 miles and most people were able to get 340 miles, people would be singing Elon's praises. Instead, the car is rated at 400 miles, people get 340 and complain.

that is exactly how tesla should have marketed it, rate for 300 strive for 340. the complaints are warranted

agreed. this is the only reason i dont have a taycan on the drive way. as soon as someone figures out the charging (lets say for example Shell decides to convert all gas stations to have charging stations as well) my model S is getting the boot. tesla's quality control shenanigans are turning me off from the brand.

A perfect example of that is Model 3 performance which is pretty known for falling well short of the EPA range.

My P3D had a 310 mile range rating, but I've struggled to even get close to 200 let alone 310.

This is a good site (if you haven't seen it before):

Teslike.com

Tesla used a blended rate for their AWD vehicles, if the P was tested with the performance rims and all, it would have had a 280 mi rating.

LR RWD 3 was one of only two Teslas rated lower than it should have been.

Fair enough to say that, its apart of the growing phase. Hopefully they able to iron these issues out soon because it will be very annoying for new customers
there are constant issues with 12v batteries being drained because of software glitches, of bad OTA chips that are failing and being replaced with bad chips and the unreliability of the EA network. an example of a charging issue is that the 2021 taycans are supposed to be able to plug in and communicate with the charging unit to initiate the charge, that feature is not working and you have to use the Porsche NA charge app to initiate the charge, but if the porsche connect app or the porsche NA app are glitching you will not be able to initiate a charge. then you are stuck trying to find another nearby CCS charger that might be operational and charge at a slow rate.
EA appears to have never gotten their charging reliability up to a level comparable to the tesla supercharging network.
these charging failures render the taycan to limited range in town use. A very expensive high performance town car.

there are constant issues with 12v batteries being drained because of software glitches, of bad OTA chips that are failing and being replaced with bad chips and the unreliability of the EA network. an example of a charging issue is that the 2021 taycans are supposed to be able to plug in and communicate with the charging unit to initiate the charge, that feature is not working and you have to use the Porsche NA charge app to initiate the charge, but if the porsche connect app or the porsche NA app are glitching you will not be able to initiate a charge. then you are stuck trying to find another nearby CCS charger that might be operational and charge at a slow rate.
EA appears to have never gotten their charging reliability up to a level comparable to the tesla supercharging network.
these charging failures render the taycan to limited range in town use. A very expensive high performance town car.

These are issues modern day Tesla's are experiencing too. BEV are a relatively new technology and as early adopters of it these sort of issues are to be expected. Charging issues aren't THAT big of a deal since probably 90% of Taycan owners charge at home. On top of that you are only going to hear the people having issues with charging not the ones that don't have any issues, so its safe to say that the vast majority are charging just fine. I have only Supercharged my Model S' maybe 4 times and even then it wasn't out of necessity.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
These are issues modern day Tesla's are experiencing too. BEV are a relatively new technology and as early adopters of it these sort of issues are to be expected. Charging issues aren't THAT big of a deal since probably 90% of Taycan owners charge at home. On top of that you are only going to hear the people having issues with charging not the ones that don't have any issues, so its safe to say that the vast majority are charging just fine. I have only Supercharged my Model S' maybe 4 times and even then it wasn't out of necessity.
I think that you are way off base, I have never encountered any issues with charging at any supercharger.
charging issues are indeed a big deal because unlike you many people do take trips with their cars beyond the home range of the car.

I think that you are way off base, I have never encountered any issues with charging at any supercharger.
charging issues are indeed a big deal because unlike you many people do take trips with their cars beyond the home range of the car.

No not charging issues, I am talking about bugged updates and 12v battery problems. Most Taycan owners probably have a second ICE vehicle for their long trips. And again you are only hearing about people having issues with charging and not the ones that aren't. Nevertheless what charging issues they are having it should be sorted out ASAP

• Disagree
Reactions: mk677
i was loaned a taycan for the weekend. easily did almost 300 miles in the 200 rated miles. my model S can't get anywhere near the EPA range even brand new and babying the pedal.

I quite like the Taycan but isn’t there a question of value for money here?

One of them *might* get 300 miles but costs more than twice as much. The other *will* get 340 miles but costs half as much. Ultimately with the Taycan you’re buying a badge, fancy stitching and a bunch of bling.

Not worth it, especially when they don’t have the technical smarts to make most of the important stuff that goes into an EV.

Reactions: ZsoZso
I quite like the Taycan but isn’t there a question of value for money here?

One of them *might* get 300 miles but costs more than twice as much. The other *will* get 340 miles but costs half as much. Ultimately with the Taycan you’re buying a badge, fancy stitching and a bunch of bling.

Not worth it, especially when they don’t have the technical smarts to make most of the important stuff that goes into an EV.

All of Porsche models are more expensive than the competition in the segment. Porsche has never and will never be a value conscious brand, hell you can option a base rwd Taycan up close to the price of a Turbo. The E Tron Gt however is poised as the more "value" conscious choice, but even that is still pricey!

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Anybody seen a good Taycan vs E Tron comparison? Planning on test driving a Taycan this summer. Perhaps I should look closely at an E Tron also. I've never owned either so the Porsche ownership posts have been helpful. No idea of how Audi treats their customers.

Anybody seen a good Taycan vs E Tron comparison? Planning on test driving a Taycan this summer. Perhaps I should look closely at an E Tron also. I've never owned either so the Porsche ownership posts have been helpful. No idea of how Audi treats their customers.

I have owned about 5 Audis in the past and I always say if you've always wanted a Porsche get it, but if you are not to keen about having one get another car. The extra price you pay for a Porsche is only justified if you truly wanted the car, they cater to a niche market where most buyers set out to only get a Porsche. If I were you I would save quite a bit of money and get the Audi they are a little more mainstream in the sense you dont have to pay extra for keyless access. The dealer experience is okay, best bet is to go to all the dealers around you and see which one treats you the best.

I think that we'll need to wait until the etron becomes "real" before there will be many videos and blogs comparing the two cousins

Just finished a nice review from some guy in England and noticed the rear view from the driver's seat is abysmal! Can you leave the rear camera on while driving around or is it only available when in reverse?

I'm planning on test driving both the Taycan and E-Tron this spring. Should I skip one as they are so similar? I'm not a Porsche/Audi fan (but not a hater either) so I probably wouldn't pay extra just because of the name. The test drive is to finish data gathering before finalizing our plaid+ order and I will cancel if either are good enough.

I really love the e-tron suv, but after seeing some reviews of the GT version that interior just doesn’t do it for me. Can’t really peg why, just doesn’t feel quite as lux as the SUV does.

I'm planning on test driving both the Taycan and E-Tron this spring. Should I skip one as they are so similar?

Skip both and go for the cross turismo! (and to answer your other question, I haven’t driven the GT, but from my experience with Audis the rear cam is only available when parking).