Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on EAP for the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't want to be without my EAP. Stop and go traffic to and from work is justification enough for it. Having the car deal with stop and go traffic greatly reduces stress, frustration, and fatigue in rush hour traffic.

Absolutely 100% true. It really is amazing how much less driving fatigue I've experienced since owning my car for about 2 months now with Autopilot turned on in those situations.

From a quick search, here’s one that shows basic cruise control was available before the update from Tesla that turned on AP:
FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share
Here’s one with an owner confirming he has the cruise control symbol on the right hand control stalk without ordering EAP:
FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

So unless you think Tesla is going to give people a car with cruise control setting on the stalk that does nothing (even though we know the functionality is present), then I’d say it’s comfirmed. I also am pretty sure that one of the owners specifically said it was there but my search-foo is failing me.

“Also” meaning in addition to what you posted.
Sorry, I got you confused with R.S.

We find that EAP is one of those features that end up being used way more than expected.

People seem to think EAP is only useful in specific use cases but in all others it wouldn’t be. That if you live in an urban or a rural setting that EAP would make more or less sense, etc.

For us, EAP+TACC is part of how we drive now. It handles anywhere from 10% to 95% of driving on any given drive. Mostly EAP but TACC fills out edge cases for us. It’s rare that one or the other isn’t used at least once on a drive. What we have discovered is that so much of our daily driving is filled with “empty” distances that we let EAP handle. From a short drive to the grocery store to a 15 hour drive, there are a lot of places where the simple double tap of the EAP stalk is now instinctive.

I would never own a Tesla without it. As I’ve said in other threads, buying a Tesla without EAP is like going to Hawaii without going to the beach. Sure, it’s still great but it’s definitely a lesser experience.

Nowhere in that thread did anyone show that there is no cruise control in the Model 3. I thought you had some other source. As people pointed out in that thread, Model S/X has regular cruise control when you don't opt for EAP and there is no good reason for it to be different in the 3.

Well, as discussed in the thread there is no mention of the cruise control in the owners manual. And I am pretty sure it would have been mentioned, since you need to know how to adjust it.

At this point I'm not hoping for things I don't have any evidence for, cruise control, heated seats in the base car, flux capacitor, towing. Those all won't be there, at least initially. No need to disprove the existence of something, otherwise we could also say Santa, or that weird person with the tooth fetish is real.

So let's turn this around, can you show my any piece of evidence that it has cruise control?

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I wouldn't want to be without my EAP. Stop and go traffic to and from work is justification enough for it. Having the car deal with stop and go traffic greatly reduces stress, frustration, and fatigue in rush hour traffic.

I'm going to follow up on my own post with a recent observation. A colleague of mine just purchased a 2017 Toyota Highlander and is thrilled with it. One of the features she likes is the traffic aware cruise control. As she began describing TACC to me, it sounded much like the Tesla's. Just as I was thinking "Wow! Toyota's cruise control has caught up with Tesla's," she proceeded to tell me that the Highlander's traffic aware cruise control completely disengages if the car's speed drops below 30 mph.

That's impressively terrible for Toyota.

My 2017 Subaru Forester's TACC reliably works anywhere from 0-90mph.
The lane keep assist, on the other hand is pretty weak - it's barely a nudge and it only does something when you're really close to the lane edge - it doesn't actually center yuo.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Well, as discussed in the thread there is no mention of the cruise control in the owners manual. And I am pretty sure it would have been mentioned, since you need to know how to adjust it.

At this point I'm not hoping for things I don't have any evidence for, cruise control, heated seats in the base car, flux capacitor, towing. Those all won't be there, at least initially. No need to disprove the existence of something, otherwise we could also say Santa, or that weird person with the tooth fetish is real.

So let's turn this around, can you show my any piece of evidence that it has cruise control?
As noted in the thread, when you have EAP, regular cruise control is not available. So any manual that shows EAP will not show cruise control.

That's impressively terrible for Toyota.

My 2017 Subaru Forester's TACC reliably works anywhere from 0-90mph.

Toyota has two versions of ACC (DRCC - Dynamic Radar Cruise Control as they call it). Their older version had the speed limit, but most newer models (model released 2017+) have the full-speed version. I expect that the Highlander will get the full-speed version when it gets its next major update.

Autonomous cruise control system - Wikipedia

The lane keep assist, on the other hand is pretty weak - it's barely a nudge and it only does something when you're really close to the lane edge - it doesn't actually center you.

I think that's how lane keep _assist_ works in most cars. It's just designed to stop you leaving your lane accidentally, it's not intended to steer the car for you. (At least it's better than the worse-than-useless Lane departure warning).

I just want to know if we're back to the point where you can put your hands in your lap for a few moments while autopilot is engaged.

For me personally, auto pilot won't be particularly useful if I have to keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road every moment that it is driving the car.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
I'm having the hardest time deciding if EAP is worth it for me. I drive about 60 miles total daily on a highway for my work commute, but the highway has pretty bad lane markings for most of the part I drive on (The 101 in California, between Santa Barbara and Ventura). I am just not sure if AP2 can handle it, wonder if they'll let me test drive an S for the commute to see how well it works (I live right next to a Tesla store/service center)?

Any chance Tesla will release a 1 month trial or something for AP on the 3? I don't want to buy something before knowing if it will work for me or not!

I just want to know if we're back to the point where you can put your hands in your lap for a few moments while autopilot is engaged.

For me personally, auto pilot won't be particularly useful if I have to keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road every moment that it is driving the car.
"Few moments" is a vague statement. You can keep your hands off the wheel for probably 30 seconds to a minute at a time.

I'm having the hardest time deciding if EAP is worth it for me. I drive about 60 miles total daily on a highway for my work commute, but the highway has pretty bad lane markings for most of the part I drive on (The 101 in California, between Santa Barbara and Ventura). I am just not sure if AP2 can handle it, wonder if they'll let me test drive an S for the commute to see how well it works (I live right next to a Tesla store/service center)?

Any chance Tesla will release a 1 month trial or something for AP on the 3? I don't want to buy something before knowing if it will work for me or not!
I would think that EAP would work pretty well on your commute. While I am familiar with that highway I've never driven a Tesla on it but I've driven our X with EAP in the Bay Area pretty extensively. The lane keeping part is very useful, but for heavy traffic (like on the 101) TACC is the best feature. At those slower speeds EAP has no issue keeping within the lanes based on road markings and surrounding cars. TACC is a godsend in traffic. On unencumbered highways I tend to just drive myself. I just hate controlling throttle/brake applications during stop-and-go traffic.

I lived in LA for 16 years, so I feel your pain.