Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Exterior Colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know most of the discussions have been on the interior, but in an effort to switch gears a little, I am curious as to what people thought of the exterior colors/finish on display. I've seen a couple comments about the Silver and White, but how about the Signature Red? I am guessing with a cloudy day, the full effect may not have been there, but if anyone can share I'm sure non-attendees would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

The Sig Red was b-e-a-u-tiful!! I may be mistaken but, the shade of red did look different (a little darker?) than the original, hand-painted sig red beta from the factory event (and which is in Geneva right now). Of course, the cars were parked at the edge of a garage and it was a very overcast day so, that may have something to do with it.

I'm in the general production queue and don't have a shot at it but, my wife couldn't take her eyes off of the Sig Red!

For the general prod folks, here's my ranked choice of external colors (based on the sig cars on display as well as the design studio and paint chips in the store):

1) Blue - simply stunning! The car will really stand out on the road!! I'm getting this and the family's voted unanimously in favor of it!
2) Silver/Green - a tie! The Silver sig looked really good in person. The Green - if the design studio colors are accurate enough - looked very good too.
3) Pearl White - worth the $1,500 upgrade if you were considering the Solid White.
4) Grey - looked good in the design studio; a darker shade of Silver.
5) Brown - if that's your thing (and I got yelled at by my wife - who still sulks about my choice of Brown for her Mini Clubman - for even trying it out), it looked okay but, maybe, I'm biased against it already.
6) Black - bottom of the barrel in my opinion. All the beautiful and sometimes subtle lines of the Model S get lost in the 'black crush' (a la details in dark scenes on older LCD HDTVs).

Again, some of these impressions were from the design studio so, take this with a grain of salt.

My first car (VW Golf III) was "fjord-blue", my current BMW is light silver and our family VW Touran is toffee-brown.
For Model S (not having seen any of the colors "live") at the moment I think I would either go for blue, silver or pearl-white, depending on which looks best to me when I get to see all the colors on an actual sheet of metal. Which could take a while as there are no Tesla stores in Germany - at least not in driving distance (I think they have got one sales location in Hamburg and one in Munich - unfortunately both at the wrong end of the country for me who lives in the middle...)

Okay, since this thread exists... I'm embarrassed to admit I've been struggling with whether to choose Signature red or silver. The reason I'm embarrassed is I'm worried the red is too feminine (and I'm male)... It just seems like the only time I see anyone in a dark red car it's a woman. My wife thinks I should go for the red. Is it just me who has this crazy idea?

BTW, if I weren't getting a signature, I'd get the blue--I just love that look on a car and I have a midnite blue Roadster already.

Okay, since this thread exists... I'm embarrassed to admit I've been struggling with whether to choose Signature red or silver. The reason I'm embarrassed is I'm worried the red is too feminine (and I'm male)... It just seems like the only time I see anyone in a dark red car it's a woman. My wife thinks I should go for the red. Is it just me who has this crazy idea?

I've never heard of dark red being either feminine or masculine. It does tend to make you look like the fire chief though :)
It's also very hard to keep it looking nice because it shows every spec of dirt. Silver looks like the best choice of colours in my book with pearl white being second. If there was a light blue, that could work well too.

BTW, if I weren't getting a signature, I'd get the blue--I just love that look on a car and I have a midnite blue Roadster already.

My wife says she can't see me in red, but since seeing the CF bits, I think it might look best on red. Can I join your club?

I must say the paint chips for both the Blue and the Green looked a tad darker than the way they were rendered in the design studio. But, like I said above, both looked great with Blue winning over in my opinion. But, I guess we'd have to wait till we see real cars to make the final call...

I must say the paint chips for both the Blue and the Green looked a tad darker than the way they were rendered in the design studio. But, like I said above, both looked great with Blue winning over in my opinion. But, I guess we'd have to wait till we see real cars to make the final call...

Yeah, I'm far enough down the list that I'll have a chance to see it on the sheet metal before I have to make a decision. I would to with blue in a heartbeat but SWMBO has already said no. I pretty much buy only blue cars and she's put her foot down with that one. It was also a condition of me getting a Model S. Seems like a fair trade to me.

White - For the no cost option. It is pollen season in Atlanta and well I remember why Black cars don't work they turn yellow.
Grey - For the mid option. I really like my VW grey.
Pearl White!! - If I can swing the money. I love cars that are this sort of color.

So is it true that all that's been shown in person is Sig Red, White, Black, and now Silver? I must say that the Silver does look good, though I already have a Silver car and want to get something different.

Gray, Blue, Green, and Brown have yet to be seen. As is the case with the Tan interior I believe, just the light cream has been shown.

I had my heart set on Blue with tan interior, similar to the picture of this Ferrari.

7847365_1.jpg

But since the interior is two-tone (which I'm not a fan of), I'm kind of torn. I really need to see the two-tone interior some more in person, but if I opt for the black interior I don't want a dark exterior. I like some contrast. I think I might go for the Tiburon Gray and Black interior, if not the Blue with Tan interior.

Out of curiosity, how much would a custom paint job cost? Say I wanted orange, or maybe a baby blue metallic?

I see. I'd imagine it would be that much or more for a really good paint job but don't know for sure. I heard that awesome Ruby red for the custom Roadster for Toyota's CEO was $30,000.
The vinyl wraps do look cool but are very time intensive to put on properly so finding someone who's done it before is key.