TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Thoughts on Model 3 Design

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by roow110, Jul 30, 2015.

1. roow110

roow110 Member

Every render I have seen predicting what the model 3 looks like shows a drastic departure from the design language Tesla has employed in the Model X and the Model S.
    And yet, if you look at those two models, they share almost the exact same design except the X is blown up to SUV size.

ModelS:X.gif

With that in mind I thought I would mock up what the Model 3 would look like if it shared the same styling as the Model S.
    The only thing we really know about the design is it will be 20% smaller (the same length as the BMW i3) ...and this was the result:

Model 3.jpg

Its basically the same design as the model S but with a smaller trunk and frunk.
    And it makes for a very consistent lineup and a pretty slick little car.

Compare SX.jpg

Thoughts?

2. mspisars

mspisars Member

Looks good, but one detail. Model S and X have the exact same wheelbase. The gif seems to have the Model X with a slightly longer wheelbase, is that because you used the X from the reveal and not the mules we have seen since?

3. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

Keep in mind, 20% smaller doesn't necessarily mean a 20% reduction in every dimension. Perhaps they mean a 20% overall reduction in volume for Model 3. Big difference.

4. 1208

1208 Active Member

Looks cool. :smile: Way better than any of the so called pro rendering concepts that seem to make news.

5. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

As others have said it would be 20% smaller by volume and compete with the BMW 3 series, not the i3.

6. roow110

roow110 Member

Is it confirmed that it would be 20% smaller by volume and not length?
    I've been really hoping they would produce a small car, especially for city driving.
    Without an engine they could easily make a smaller car with plenty of room.

7. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

It will be to the S or X what a BMW 3-series is to 7-series or X5 or X6. So ask yourself what does a BMW330 look as compared to a 740. 20% smaller in volume or length?

8. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

They have definitely said in the past "think BMW 3 series sized". They are not going to make a city car.

9. art

art Member

Very nice I'll take a model 3d with the biggest battery pack and all the options, great job.

10. Lonnie123

Lonnie123 Member

... I like it. I don't LOOOOVEEE it but I think its a cool looking "crossover" type car that is realistic and feasible. Satisfies alot of tastes and needs.

11. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Also, keep weight in mind. 80% of the original base weight of a Model S 60 just happened to be right in the middle of weights for BMW 3-Series vehicles. So volume, and weight.

12. marcon

marcon Member

I also really like the design. I agree with other posters that this will not be Model 3. My thoughts on the matter:

+ looks great
    + perfectly city sized
    + plenty of space for passengers
    + probably handles really well, especially if dual drive
    + probably an incredible platform for the next generation Raodster
    + long wheelbase -> long enough skateboard platform for sufficient batteries -> realistic 200 miles range

but

- hardly any storage space, especially if dual drive
    - very short crumple zones
    - might compete with Mercedes A class in size, definitely not BMW 3-series

I really do expect something like this from Tesla in the long term, and it could definitely be done with Teslas focus on practicability and performance. From the looks of it, it could even be based on the model 3 platform with front and rear shortened.

13. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Model 3 sedan will be sexy and sleek.

Crossover dont care about. Dont like "tall" vehicles, too much excess. Cars that are low look the best.

14. Vitold

Vitold Member

If Model 3 is for the masses it has to be first and foremost practical...well maybe second, since first will always be aerodynamics. Model 3 has to be at least 20% less in weight and equal or less drag in order to use small battery.

I think the only way to make that happen is with hachback design.

15. tga

tga Active Member

But you also have to temper that with what customers want, if you want it to sell well, and customers in the US prefer SUVs/CUVs over hatchbacks and station wagons (right or wrong).

Why do you think the Subaru Outback is marketed now as an "SUV", when they used to call it a "station wagon".

16. Vitold

Vitold Member

I changed my mind...I thought there was large weight savings but looking at differences between Mazda 3 hatchback and sedan (fastback) there isn't much. Also fastback has better CdA which is more important at higher speeds. So Model 3 is now more likely a fastback :smile:

17. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

To me, there was never any doubt the Model 3 would be a fastback. The only remaining question is if the sedan and crossover will debut simultaneously, or a few months (or a year) apart. I think they will probably be shown together in March.

18. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Whereas I think the CUV will be at more like 1-2 years after the sedan, similar to the Model S/Model X rollout.

19. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

well technically the model S is a hatchback... :frown:

20. Vgsllc1

Vgsllc1 Member

Where do we put in reservation for Model 3 ?

Nice pics btw!