Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Model 3 Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neither do I. These extremes are not the only choices - as I wrote earlier Tesla will have to balance the various needs. They are not going to err on the side of low flung sports car.

I think you misunderstood my Porsche reference, which was only to point out that they were able to get increased rear seat headroom by leaving the rear foot well area devoid of batteries as I had previously mentioned, instead of raising the roof line. I'm not expecting the 3 to be low like a sports car, I'm just hoping it's not too high.

Although it does have an unfortunate way of sounding like "why" when spoken and "Tesla Why", while not cringe-worthy, ain't the greatest.

Well if it is dual motor you could have Tesla YD, "Tesla Wide". Or performance version Tesla YP, "Tesla Wipe". Hmm, not getting any better.

On the plus side by 2020 you could be a Certified Pre-Owned Model 3. Tesla 3CPO!

Like the non-folding second row seats in the X? I certainly wouldn't have guessed that's what the public wanted...:frown:

Recent pictures do show the seats can be lowered and pushed all the way forward to get them out of the way to some degree. We'll have to see how the public reacts to the seats in the real world. I know it's been controversial here and it could turn out to be a flop. Nobody is 100%. Steve Jobs didn't have a hit every time. The Lisa was not successful, but the world mostly forgets that.

He's not perfect. He's also a wealthy guy with 5 kids, which is a rare demographic. The Model S is like it is because he realized there were a lot of people out there who would be interested in an EV but they didn't want to scream to the world they were driving an EV. Unless you know what to look for, a Model S looks like most other nice quality large sedans out there today. I think the spartan interior with no options for more storage in the front seats was a mistake, but it looks like the Model X will have more cup holders at least.

The falcon doors on the Model X come from Elon's experience with small children in the backseat of traditional cars and SUVs. He and the chief designer brainstormed ways a parent could put their kid in a car seat without hurting themselves trying to cram into the backseat with the kids. We'll see how the falcon doors are accepted in the real world, but it is a novel solution to the problem.

I think you misunderstood my Porsche reference, which was only to point out that they were able to get increased rear seat headroom by leaving the rear foot well area devoid of batteries as I had previously mentioned, instead of raising the roof line. I'm not expecting the 3 to be low like a sports car, I'm just hoping it's not too high.
Got it. That is what even Leaf has done ... and we discussed this - when talking about why Tesla may have to change their skateboard.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon Musk has the same ability Steve Jobs had to know what the public wants before they know it.
Since I don't belong to Musk Cult (or for that matter Jobs Cult) I don't believe in any supernatural capabilities they are assumed to possess ;)

Hatchback would be nice, but I'd still buy it if it wasn't. Not sure how the materials used for construction will affect the strength required to go with a full hatchback, but if cars like the Mazda 6 can do it, I'm sure the M3 can do it.
If the seats do not fold down, they've lost at least one customer, and I'm counting on several (thousand) more. The second biggest reason I didn't upgrade to a Lancer Evo X was the lack of fold down seats.

Snowboards, surfboards, skis, random long boxes, garden tools, snow shovels, hockey sticks, extra luggage that needs to stay at cabin temperature during freezing weather, bikes, lumber, futon mattress, lawn chairs, you name it. There are so many things I use fold-down seats for on a monthly basis, it's not even funny (I've put every one of those things [minus the surfboad] in my car). They'd be stupid not to.

Not sure about the CUV variant, but the standard Model 3 should not be an issue in terms of folding seats. It was only an issue on the Model X because of the falcon wing doors and third row access. I don't expect the Model 3 to have a third row (other than perhaps jump seats).

I'm confident Tesla heard loud and clear the complaints about the X not having the folding seats, especially taking note of the reservation cancellations that it caused. Besides, the 3 will be smaller and that means the trunk and frunk will be smaller. They'd need the folding rear seats just to accommodate standard items much like the S does (and, unfortunately, the X can't).

Last edited:
Any thoughts if the Model 3 could be a hatchback with fold down rear seats? Now in my my opinion, that would be great !

Tesla has mentioned "sedan" many times for the 3 so expect that but with their customary "fastback" lift gate like the Model S which I think is much preferred than a standard truck opening like every other sedan on the market.

If they do surprise us and actually show and plan to produce the CUV variant at the March reveal I think I'll plunk down a deposit for that.