Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Model 3 Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the most part I agree but I think the 6 is too big for the model 3. Is there a smaller version of the 6 ? Maybe that ?

I agree, the Mazda 6 is not that much smaller than the Model S. The Mazda 3 is much more BMW 3 series sized and I'd certainly be happy if the Model 3 looked something like it:

mazda-3-3064.jpg

Since I started following Tesla, I find myself turning my head at Mazda 6's all the time. I agree that Model 3 will likely bear a strong resemblance to Mazda 3, and I will be very happy with that. Put the Tesla fascia and door handles on a Mazda 3 and gimme it!

I have to agree with you except I expect Model 3 to be closer to the Mazda 6 in size. It's targeted at the BMW 3 series and the quoted size reduction matches the 6. In any case I think a mix of Mazda 3/6 looks and the new Chrysler 200 would be very attractive.

I have to agree with you except I expect Model 3 to be closer to the Mazda 6 in size. It's targeted at the BMW 3 series and the quoted size reduction matches the 6. In any case I think a mix of Mazda 3/6 looks and the new Chrysler 200 would be very attractive.

Your sentence doesn't make sense to me. BMW 3 series is 182" (it was 178" until 2012). Mazda 3 sedan is 180". Mazda 6 is 191". The BMW 3 series is much closer to the Mazda 3 than the Mazda 6 and the Mazda 6 is closer in size to the Model S than it is to a 3 series.

Another one which should be competitive in this segment is the forthcoming Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. I strongly suspect that the Model 3 will be styled to attract buyers who might otherwise be cross-shopping cars such as the Alfa, BMW 3-series, or MB C63.
8nre6FN.jpg

Much as I like some of the design cues and ethos from BMW; Mazda; Merc etc, I sorely hope that the Model 3 optimizes the design to fulfill all the opportunities afforded by an EV.

Cab forward so extra rear legroom; short nose (aero benefits and 'balanced' look - I often think that the shoe/spade look of long bonnets is very dated and cumbersome now); longer wheelbase (interior/ride benefits - more battery space); and high(er) rear end (to optimise interior space and improve the aero performance)

I also think that Tesla may shy away from the creased/edgy look which may become passé very quickly and opt for a smooth rounded look to reduce drag and improve range.

If Tesla is forging a 'new way forward' for cars and transport why stick to an 'old language' for the design? OK the 'public' out there is conservative and stodgy but.......!!

Ideally 'form should follow function' - if we want any purity in the design.

Much as I like some of the design cues and ethos from BMW; Mazda; Merc etc, I sorely hope that the Model 3 optimizes the design to fulfill all the opportunities afforded by an EV.

Cab forward so extra rear legroom; short nose (aero benefits and 'balanced' look - I often think that the shoe/spade look of long bonnets is very dated and cumbersome now); longer wheelbase (interior/ride benefits - more battery space); and high(er) rear end (to optimise interior space and improve the aero performance)

I also think that Tesla may shy away from the creased/edgy look which may become passé very quickly and opt for a smooth rounded look to reduce drag and improve range.

If Tesla is forging a 'new way forward' for cars and transport why stick to an 'old language' for the design? OK the 'public' out there is conservative and stodgy but.......!!

Ideally 'form should follow function' - if we want any purity in the design.
They are looking to sell 500k copies a year though eventually. So it has to look "good" and even "boring" is acceptable. Trying to go too forward in styling for their first effort at such a volume can easily shoot them in the foot. And unlike other brands, Tesla does not have a similar amount of existing customers already that buy their car year after year no matter how it is styled.

Last edited:
We have a BMW 335D and an i3, I prefer the model 3 be more the size of the 3 series. The i3 is a good little city car but I would never buy it, we did a 2 year lease waiting on more news on the model 3. Our only issue with the 335D is my 13 yo daughter is 5'8" with long legs so it can get a bit tight but we just did a 2400 mile road trip and she never complained.

The i3 is not that enjoyable to drive at highway speeds. It may be a combination of short wheel base and light weight but the thing dances all over the road. The 335D is an awesome car (for an ice) and will suffice as our long distance car until we replace it with a Tesla. I could be tempted with a cpo P85D if the initial design reveal on model 3 isn't to my taste.

I pity the other luxury brands once model 3 comes out.

:scared: I hope not. Boring won't get my money.
I hope not too, and I don't expect it to be. My point was that erring on the side of "boring" is not going to kill the car. However, "ugly" will easily kill sales and Tesla does not yet have the brand prestige/reputation to be able to carry ~500k sales per year even with an ugly car. The car still has to look good and acceptably conventional (they can go non-conventional on the details, like the side mirror delete, but for the most part the car shouldn't stray too far).

Sorry to have to be the one to say it, but since there are so many posts to the contrary in the beginning of this thread, I feel someone has to say it...

How is this good aesthetics?

Model 3 - copy.jpg

This is very, very far from good aesthetics IMO.

Accordingly, I echo everyone who instead prefer something like the upcoming (?) Audi 5 Sportback version of the new Audi 4.

a4.jpg

A5_Sportback.jpg

Or a hatchback of something like the Jaguar XE,

jag-xe.jpg

BMW 4 Gran Coupé,

BMW-4-Series-Gran-Coupe.jpg

Volvo S60,

volvo-s60.jpg

or the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio or the Mazda 3.

Last edited:
Sorry to have to be the one to say it, but since there are so many posts to the contrary in the beginning of this thread, I feel someone has to say it...

How is this good aesthetics?

View attachment 92489

This is very, very far from good aesthetics IMO.

I kind of like it, for a mini CUV type of vehicle maybe, but not necessarily for the Model 3 sedan.

Accordingly, I echo everyone who instead prefer something like the upcoming (?) Audi 5 Sportback version of the new Audi 4.

I hope Tesla can do better.

Or a hatchback of something like the Jaguar XE,
Meh. It's OK, but not exciting.
BMW 4 Gran Coupé,
Same.

or the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio or the Mazda 3.

I'm really hoping Tesla will come up with something more compelling, and with better aero, than all of these.

OK so take any of the above (none of which have seriously overdone 'sculpturing'....) and add a bit of wheelbase (ie:- reduce the front and rear overhangs to give more battery space and better ride); shorten the nose slightly (no ICE and rads etc to accommodate); pull the windscreen forward a bit to give more rear legroom and better aero and add a few Tesla design language tweeks and why would this be boring, ugly or offensive?!

It would just play to an EV's strengths and be slightly different (more 'forward looking'?)

I see no virtue in aping/mimicking the 'old world' cars ad infinitum.....Just get it fab reviews!

.../ I'm really hoping Tesla will come up with something more compelling, and with better aero, than all of these.
I do too, and that would be great.

- - - Updated - - -

OK so take any of the above (none of which have seriously overdone 'sculpturing'....) and add a bit of wheelbase (ie:- reduce the front and rear overhangs to give more battery space and better ride); shorten the nose slightly (no ICE and rads etc to accommodate); pull the windscreen forward a bit to give more rear legroom and better aero and add a few Tesla design language tweeks and why would this be boring, ugly or offensive?!

It would just play to an EV's strengths and be slightly different (more 'forward looking'?)

I see no virtue in aping/mimicking the 'old world' cars ad infinitum.....Just get it fab reviews!
I’m all for reducing front and rear overhangs. But short bonnets and excessive cab forward design easily gets problematic aesthetics wise. With the Model S for example, Tesla has taken short bonnet/cab forward to the limit of what will pass as good aesthetics while considering overall proportions IMO.

s_profile.jpg

(no ICE and rads etc to accommodate)

The Model S does in fact have radiators/heat exchangers in the front.
- - - Updated - - -

With the Model S for example, Tesla has taken short bonnet/cab forward to the limit of what will pass as good aesthetics while considering overall proportions IMO.

As you say, "IMO". Looks are subjective, and I would be happy with them taking the cab forward look even further in the pursuit of better aero. I also realize that my views on the topic are probably a bit more extreme than the general public, but I also think that Model 3 buyers will want something that stands out a bit from the crowd and might be more accepting of more radical design than the average Corolla buying populace.