Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Model X interior upgrades?

ArmRM7

New Member
Jul 16, 2021
4
0
Texas
So I really like the refreshed interior of the model X and I think it is a step in the right direction. And I’m fully aware that Tesla are a universe ahead in the software and performance game. That’s why I think it’s time for Tesla to pay more attention to the interior of its cars especially model X/S.

do you think items below should be added to the interior especially given the fact that Model X now easily cost $100K+:
1-Ambient lighting (LED panels around the dash and doors like what Mercedes and bmw have)
2-HUD
3-Blind spot detection on the side mirrors
4-massaging seats

Also, a perfect fit and finish and an overall premium interior/exterior build are a must for a car at that price range.
 

ngng

Active Member
Jul 23, 2018
1,029
489
Bay Area
elon disagrees with you.

the only I am interested is blind spot detection, whether on the instrument cluster or on the mirror.
 

Harvey Danger

Member
Mar 2, 2021
256
174
The Pacific Northwest
elon disagrees with you.

the only I am interested is blind spot detection, whether on the instrument cluster or on the mirror.
I think elon disagrees with *this* too - he sees a future where not only is there's no mirrors to put indicators on, there's no *driver* who even needs to know about cars in the blind spot.

Elon seems to be very reluctant to include *any* features that make life easier for a human driver (human passenger yes, driver no).

At least it seems this way for like 90% of his car design impulses. The other 10% are all about the supercar / halo car use-case where there is a driver but it's now a race car driver who can operate a yoke at 150 miles an hour. I don't know .. the whole thing is just confusing.

All I know is a regular guy like me (who actually still enjoys normal driving and does a lot of it) doesn't seem to figure into his world view either way.
 

ngng

Active Member
Jul 23, 2018
1,029
489
Bay Area
I think elon disagrees with *this* too - he sees a future where not only is there's no mirrors to put indicators on, there's no *driver* who even needs to know about cars in the blind spot.

Elon seems to be very reluctant to include *any* features that make life easier for a human driver (human passenger yes, driver no).

At least it seems this way for like 90% of his car design impulses. The other 10% are all about the supercar / halo car use-case where there is a driver but it's now a race car driver who can operate a yoke at 150 miles an hour. I don't know .. the whole thing is just confusing.

All I know is a regular guy like me (who actually still enjoys normal driving and does a lot of it) doesn't seem to figure into his world view either way.

One thing I realized the other day: *we* know there's no blind spot indicator, but non-Tesla drivers do not. I let my friend drive my X and he drove it *expecting* a blindspot indicator when he was merging. That was a little hairy.
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Harvey Danger

mxnym

Active Member
Mar 9, 2018
1,014
372
Bloomington, IN
One thing I realized the other day: *we* know there's no blind spot indicator, but non-Tesla drivers do not. I let my friend drive my X and he drove it *expecting* a blindspot indicator when he was merging. That was a little hairy.
It's not like all other vehicles have blind spot indicators, and quite frankly, you can readily see whether or not a vehicle has them since it's always visibly obvious in the mirrors (even while the indicators are off). It seems more likely your friend habitually uses his blind spot indicators instead of mirrors, which wholly serves to exemplify the problem with idiot-proofing to begin with. It's fortunate that the situation was hairy vs injurious or fatal, and hopefully your friend learned something from it, but suggesting that this implies other non-Tesla drivers think Teslas have blind spot indicators is a bit far-fetched.
 

ngng

Active Member
Jul 23, 2018
1,029
489
Bay Area
It's not like all other vehicles have blind spot indicators, and quite frankly, you can readily see whether or not a vehicle has them since it's always visibly obvious in the mirrors (even while the indicators are off). It seems more likely your friend habitually uses his blind spot indicators instead of mirrors, which wholly serves to exemplify the problem with idiot-proofing to begin with. It's fortunate that the situation was hairy vs injurious or fatal, and hopefully your friend learned something from it, but suggesting that this implies other non-Tesla drivers think Teslas have blind spot indicators is a bit far-fetched.
No, but every modern econobox I've driven has it. You'd expect *any* luxury car to have it. Anecdotally, 100% of the people are surprised when I tell them Tesla does *not* have a blind spot monitoring system. So, I wouldn't say it's a reach.
 

mxnym

Active Member
Mar 9, 2018
1,014
372
Bloomington, IN
No, but every modern econobox I've driven has it. You'd expect *any* luxury car to have it. Anecdotally, 100% of the people are surprised when I tell them Tesla does *not* have a blind spot monitoring system. So, I wouldn't say it's a reach.
Yet somehow I've been fortunate enough to never have to own a vehicle with that feature and even seldom be stuck driving one. In case that doesn't make my opinion of the feature clear, to re-iterate, I'm glad my Tesla doesn't have that feature. Considering that, I can't quite figure where you get attributing expectations to me. Perhaps people are surprised because of how you present the fact to them. Most people that own vehicles with TACC probably aren't surprised that Tesla doesn't offer the option to run standard cruise, but that'd be because they don't realize their vehicles with TACC can also do standard cruise. So, if Tesla is wrong to go without blind spot indicators because most people are surprised they did, then Tesla must be right to not offer standard cruise, and by that same logic, Tesla was absolutely right to remove the passenger lumbar, because most people don't look for it to begin with. Also, Tesla is a premium brand, definitely not a luxury brand, but that's a whole separate conversation.
 

ngng

Active Member
Jul 23, 2018
1,029
489
Bay Area
Yet somehow I've been fortunate enough to never have to own a vehicle with that feature and even seldom be stuck driving one. In case that doesn't make my opinion of the feature clear, to re-iterate, I'm glad my Tesla doesn't have that feature. Considering that, I can't quite figure where you get attributing expectations to me. Perhaps people are surprised because of how you present the fact to them. Most people that own vehicles with TACC probably aren't surprised that Tesla doesn't offer the option to run standard cruise, but that'd be because they don't realize their vehicles with TACC can also do standard cruise. So, if Tesla is wrong to go without blind spot indicators because most people are surprised they did, then Tesla must be right to not offer standard cruise, and by that same logic, Tesla was absolutely right to remove the passenger lumbar, because most people don't look for it to begin with. Also, Tesla is a premium brand, definitely not a luxury brand, but that's a whole separate conversation.
👍
 
  • Like
Reactions: mxnym

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top