TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Thoughts on model y release

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nuckles, Jan 13, 2021.

1. nuckles

nuckles Member

Just thinking out loud.
    Thoughts on when we might see a model y in Australia.
    Also price on the standard range i am thinking about 80k.

2. moa999

moa999 Member

Who knows category.

My personal view is all future RHD models (both 3 and Y) will come from Shanghai.
    Some test RHD 3s were shipped a few months ago to Hong Kong.

Shanghai Model Y has just started production, so id say minimum 12 months before they start shifting to RHD.

As for pricing. Whatever the 3 SR+ (or possibly 3 Standard as it seems to be now) is at the time plus $5k

3. GrimRe

GrimRe Member

Rumours are that Shanghai will be at a 500k run rate by the end of 2021 with 100k units exported to international markets (blended 3/y). 100k export is a lot of units.

My sneaking suspicion is that we will see the same timing as the Model 3. That is; May is when the Model Y order page opens, vehicles built in June/July 2021 and then arrive in September 2021. Tesla have often preferred to open up new markets rather than fully satisfy demand in the current and closer markets first.

4. Onshore

Onshore Member

Has there been any sightings of RHD Y's so far?

5. GrimRe

GrimRe Member

Apart from some testing in NZ, no

6. arthur_alston

arthur_alston New Member

7. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Given that they only started production of Model Y at the Giga Shanghai in the last few months, I think RHD production may be a few months off until they satisfy the high demand within China for the new model.