Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on my charging habbits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 MS85 with about 58k miles. I have free unlimited supercharging and have access to superchargers within a mile of my house. I charge about once a week at the superchargers from 30%-40% to about 80%-90%. I used to be nervous about burning out my battery too quickly but recently decided not to care so much since I'm getting my charges for free. I've read previous threads about how frequent supercharging may or may not degrade the battery prematurely. I havent seen anything recent and was wondering all of your thoughts on this. Am I killing my battery at the expense of saving $40-$50 a month by charging at home.

Yea, I am in a similar spot adn at first I was using teh SC whenever I dropped by. Electric here in SoFla is $.10/KW. Then I did the math and for me waiting around 45 minutes, I was saving like $4-$5. Sooooooo, I installed a wall charger (I had a NEMA14-50 and used my mobile cable at first). I use SC if we go to dinner where the SC is, or sometimes if I grocery shop there. But very infrequently.

Yea, I am in a similar spot adn at first I was using teh SC whenever I dropped by. Electric here in SoFla is $.10/KW. Then I did the math and for me waiting around 45 minutes, I was saving like $4-$5. Sooooooo, I installed a wall charger (I had a NEMA14-50 and used my mobile cable at first). I use SC if we go to dinner where the SC is, or sometimes if I grocery shop there. But very infrequently.

My electric in NJ is about $.16/kw. I also installed a wall charger, but love (in my brain) the idea of charging for free. For some reason it just makes me feel soooo good.

So, the Tesla chargers are on my "run loop". I run about 5k every other day as part of my workout routine. Basically, I drive 2 mins to the supercharger, stretch, do my 5k, get back and cool down then leave. So its not really an inconvenience at all.
The idea of finishing a run and having a nice, cold, fully charged car waiting for me at the end doesn't sound too bad honestly.

Once a week shouldn't be too terrible for the battery. The car will eventually limit your charge rate when you start supercharging too often in order to preserve itself.

I figure some things shouldn't be done, like taking things that don't belong to you. I am glad that Tesla has started charging people when they supercharge, because ANYTHING free will be abused. As the person said, you're only saving a few bucks, but in reality, Tesla charges all of us for what the few take. They have to. They have calculated that there are always a few people that will use "free" supercharging whenever they can, and it's in the purchase price. Sure, it's not very much. Not compared to the price of sticking a dozen or twenty or forty superchargers every hundred miles or so across the country for TRAVELERS.

For me, charging at home, in my garage, overnight, is so much more convenient. Thanks, Tesla, for the only car that has its own quick-charging network when I'm away from home.

I figure some things shouldn't be done, like taking things that don't belong to you. I am glad that Tesla has started charging people when they supercharge, because ANYTHING free will be abused. As the person said, you're only saving a few bucks, but in reality, Tesla charges all of us for what the few take. They have to. They have calculated that there are always a few people that will use "free" supercharging whenever they can, and it's in the purchase price. Sure, it's not very much. Not compared to the price of sticking a dozen or twenty or forty superchargers every hundred miles or so across the country for TRAVELERS.

For me, charging at home, in my garage, overnight, is so much more convenient. Thanks, Tesla, for the only car that has its own quick-charging network when I'm away from home.

The SC network is the "Killer App" that sets Tesla above and beyond all others! It will take a ton of time and $$ to be able to drive the places I can with my 85D, which is about anywhere in the USA!

I have a 2014 MS85 with about 58k miles. I have free unlimited supercharging and have access to superchargers within a mile of my house. I charge about once a week at the superchargers from 30%-40% to about 80%-90%. I used to be nervous about burning out my battery too quickly but recently decided not to care so much since I'm getting my charges for free. I've read previous threads about how frequent supercharging may or may not degrade the battery prematurely. I havent seen anything recent and was wondering all of your thoughts on this. Am I killing my battery at the expense of saving $40-$50 a month by charging at home.
honestly,
you are missing out on one of the greatest advantages of having an EV which is not to have to go to a gas station to refuel. Fueling at a SC is literally 10-15x worse than going to a gas station.

Best of both worlds here. HPWC at home, 16.5 KW of solar on the roof. Even in the summer, with A/C running most of the day, I am still net pushing power to the grid. So charging the car at home is free.

Yes, there was a significant investment to install solar generation, but with tax credits my break even point is only 7 years out.

it sure is nice to see my electric power bill go from as high as $500/month to $12.

Most of the vehicles with free supercharging cost 1-1/2 times what they do today. Hardly "free" for those.

Reactions: rafacq