Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on my P85 loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I'm getting Ludicrous for my P85D I have my first Tesla loaner and it is a P85. I'm very jealous of the frunk space for sure, however the 0-30 acceleration is significantly lower and I notice a lot more traction control kicking in. I was also excited to get some fishtailing in but the traction control is pretty strict on the vehicle (or I'm not trying hard enough?).

I do also appreciate my Next Gen seats and I find I've become very used to hill hold.

The loaner (black with black rims) looks nicer than my car (dark grey with silver rims) and it was the other option I was considering. I am however happy with my choice because even after 24 hours the black is looking dirty. Also a previous borrower caused some curb rash on the rims and that is much more noticeable than on my silver rims.

Finally, I was hoping to experience the sport suspension to see the difference (my P85D was post-sport-suspension) however it seems it doesn't have that option (I'm assuming here that the sport suspension always has staggered tires?).

Thought -- wouldn't it be super cool if you could import your driver profile into a loaner car from your vehicle? Wouldn't be all that hard to implement.

Only the P85+ models have the "sport" suspension (some early P85D's as well)
I was given the P85+ as a loaner once and loved it, if only they had next gen seats as well!

Some time after the +'s were introduced, all P85's adopted the same suspension as the +, then eventually it was all folded back into a uniform setup across all variants.

One or two others and I were able to buy the parts to upgrade my Sig car to the new subframe and upper/lower control arms that made the car less "squishy" compared to when I got it. Tesla initially balked, saying that the chassis configuration wasn't approved, but when I pointed out that the new P cars were shipping with the parts I wanted to put on the car, they got permission to do it. However, shortly after that, Tesla no longer allowed even that.

I have the P85+ and love the suspension. I have had three loaners that were my config, albeit earlier models. I just got a 60 loaner with SAS and 19"ers for the first time. I have to say, the car being perhaps 400# lighter did feel great. More tossable than my big boned gal. But so much slower and with so much less brutal acceleration, which I do love. I thought the ride was somewhat smoother until I got my car back. Oh boy! Is my suspension firmer! I had no idea because I had never had anything to compare to it. But I must admit, I do like mine better. Mine does feel much more glued to the road and invincible. But less tossable. I have always enjoyed a stiffer ride. But the difference was much more than I expected. Caveat: the 60 loaner was a 2013 VIN. Many things have changed since then.

On traction control...just hammer it for fun. But plan on spending lots on tires!

Re seats: I have tried both and like both. I have the first gen seats and am completely happy with them. And I'm a pretty skinny guy. I find them very comfortable. I don't slide around at all because I'm holding onto the wheel. My passengers...well...I just try to keep it down for the uninitiated.

Some time after the +'s were introduced, all P85's adopted the same suspension as the +, then eventually it was all folded back into a uniform setup across all variants.

One or two others and I were able to buy the parts to upgrade my Sig car to the new subframe and upper/lower control arms that made the car less "squishy" compared to when I got it. Tesla initially balked, saying that the chassis configuration wasn't approved, but when I pointed out that the new P cars were shipping with the parts I wanted to put on the car, they got permission to do it. However, shortly after that, Tesla no longer allowed even that.
I stand corrected, I did not know this.

Don't believe all the P85+ suspension changes were made standard. Think it was just stiffer subframe bushings and rear lower control arm bushings that became standard for all models. The P85+ still had larger/stiffer sway bars and possibly different dampers or springs.

I had a P85+ loaner once. Loved it. Yes it wasn't as fast but the suspension was so much better than my rock hard refuses-to-give-a-millimeter-wanting-to-skid-at-the-slightest-road-imperfection suspension on my P85D from March.

The P85+ was exactly what you want for street driving with just enough give to absorb those small road irregularities when going around corners but enough composure to immediately recover from them as well. It had a little lean in corners but honestly, on the street, you want a little lean. My P85D is like riding a go cart with no give and has no lean at all. It will slide long before it ever leans even a little.

I really wished I had the P85+ suspension instead.

Don't believe all the P85+ suspension changes were made standard. Think it was just stiffer subframe bushings and rear lower control arm bushings that became standard for all models. The P85+ still had larger/stiffer sway bars and possibly different dampers or springs.

Thanks, I stand corrected. I know the subframe, LCA, and UCA were made standard from the +'s. I forgot about the differences in the sway bars.

I have a P85+ with 21" wheels and air suspension, and have tested a P85D. Although the P85D was definitely quicker off the line and had more outright grip, the P85+ is definitely a more compliant ride and more fun as a RWD. Overall I think I prefer my car. I was also concerned about not having Gen II seats after trying them, but the first gen 'performance' seats in mine are softer and roomier, and with the alcantara trim panels I don't slide around like you do in my friends' 85 with standard first gen leather seats. So overall I'm pleased with my choice!

Mine's going in for some warranty work in a few weeks' time, so will see what loaner I get then! Fingers crossed P90D 'L' :)