Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on my winter tire selection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Had about an inch of snow here yesterday, and my 2 month new MS 60D with 19" stock rims and tires didn't do as well as I'd hoped. It's fine, coming from a stickshift mini convertible, it's a mountain goat... But it should be better for such a great car.

Gonna get a set of winter tires and new rims to go with. Car is original white.

Current top choice for me is at from tirerack...

Michelin xice3
Lugano oe cap in graphite silver
Mounted balanced, etc, new tpms as well.

Shipped to my door (I'll install), just over 2,050 USD.

Are these rims good? Any potential issues?

Rim performance aside, does the graphite silver look good on white, or should I stick with silver rims?

I'll eventually swap the rims over to summer, and use my existing rims for winter.

Tirerack is saying the door sil pressure is lower than the tire recommended pressure. Which should I run at, and will the tpms get angry if I run them at tire spec?

I know these threads can get deep into the woods, I'd rather not start another huge thread on this... Just looking to find out if my choice is reasonable as far as price and performance, or if it is a bad fit.

Thanks!

I'm very partial to the nokian hakka snow tires but those might be over kill for where you are, look at the WRG3 all weather tires. IMHO their tires are heads over all the others.
Nokian WRG3 - All-Weather Tires / Nokian Tires

I loved the Hakkas on my S, and just got the WRG3s on my new X. I think the WRG3s seem to be quieter and roll more efficiently than the Michelin Sport summer tires that came with it, plus they had great grip in the first half-inch snowfall we had recently.

+1 Nokians - any which fit, but Hakkas are great on MS (I will replace my Sottozeros with them in a season or two). Friend of mine does much mountain driving with them here in CO - stick like glue, and he's the type of driver to challenge any tire to stick like glue (hard, not bad driver).

Don't worry about the poor performance, to be expected on all-seasons.

Sorry cannot speak to rims - though Tesla said they would look carefully at any alignment, suspension, etc. issues if I went off of their standard rims. So I decided to wait until I was sure I did not have warranty issues before going non-stock.

Reactions: Dax279
A gentle reminder, Webbcam: it's a good idea to reference the post to which you're replying. On this short thread, for example, there have been either four or five set-ups already mentioned.

Webcam, which setup do you have/are happy with?

ev-soon - a real concern... When I called tesla today to tell them that I wouldn't be getting the pirelli winter set from them and was instead going elsewhere, they didn't mention anything like that, even after I said that I'd prefer to go with them if they could just supply the tires I wanted...I wonder how much that should weigh in on my decision.

I have the Rial/X-Ice setup on my car (85D). Just drove up a pretty steep hill with ice and packed snow about an hour ago-- worked great!

So I think that's a great combination, especially if you are in an area which gets a lot of snow. I also go skiing in my car, and, again, no issues.

Webcam, which setup do you have/are happy with?

ev-soon - a real concern... When I called tesla today to tell them that I wouldn't be getting the pirelli winter set from them and was instead going elsewhere, they didn't mention anything like that, even after I said that I'd prefer to go with them if they could just supply the tires I wanted...I wonder how much that should weigh in on my decision.

I have no idea of the legal situation (warranty vs 'customization'). I had Tesla install the 19" wheels I got (which are stock), and I have issues with the TPMS already. Clearly they are going to blame the wheels - which is most likely the cause (dead batteries, or defective TPMS) - but what if it's actually the receiver?? Easy out given I changed out the wheels straight away. I'd ask specifically if you have any concerns.

I also go skiing in my car

Like this?

saab_skier.jpg

(sorry that would be 'on my car') - perhaps this then

ski-car.jpg

Sorry your post immediately conjured up these kind of images in my mind.

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-16_22-31-36.jpeg
    upload_2016-12-16_22-31-36.jpeg
    3.8 KB · Views: 36
  • upload_2016-12-16_22-32-0.jpeg
    upload_2016-12-16_22-32-0.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 36
I had problems with Rial Lugano wheels which I got from Tire Rack. I ended returning them to Tire Rack.

Since then I am running Tesla 19" cyclone wheels with no problems, in spite of experiencing some pot holes. I believe that 19" cyclones stand up to pot holes way better then Rial Lugano's did.

I also encourage you to look at performance winter tires vs regular winter tires. Regular winter tires have huge disadvantage in dry and wet braking and cornering as compared to all season and performance winter tires.
(Hint: compare wet/dry braking of Michelin Xice vs. Pirelli Sotozero 3 on TireRack)

I believe people got tunnel vision when selecting winter tires, focusing to much in all out ice/snow traction, without paying attention to trade-offs in braking and cornering performance in dry and especially wet conditions.

The truth is that with superior traction control of Model S and dual motor drive, using performance winter tires instead of regular winter tires is more than covers all winter needs for most drivers.

I am running my rear wheel drive P85+ on performance winter tires for three seasons, and they do excellent job. I live in a development with hills and leave house early in the morning, before any plows show up. I had no problem going to work through 6" of virgin snow (measured by tape) up hill.

My latest set is Sotozero 3 245/45R19.

Last edited:
Reactions: ev-now
IMG_0327.JPG

Michigan. 10" on the ground, another 10" in the next 24 hours. I have a 2014 S85, and in the summer it runs on 21" Contis with Grey Turbines. This winter I ordered and had installed 19" Michelin X-Ice with Lugano Titanium turbine rims(my car is "Black Betty" and I like the black/grey look. The Michelin X-Ice have been great. I drove 150 miles today, mix of highway, back road, dirt road, and the X-Ice were rock solid the whole way. In 1 month of slick driving, the only time I've had the traction control light come on is when I've goosed it on an unplowed street and when I've picked up my son from high school, whose parking lot is a veritable ice rink. I lived in NYC the last 2 years before coming back to Michigan, I'm sure Hakka's are great, but the price you are quoted for the X-Ice with TPMS and installation is reasonable and will serve you well.

Being in "illegal Tesla land" of Michigan, the local ranger set my TPMS, didn't pay much attention, he just dialed them in. First car I've bought snow tires for....happy I did. I am confident in the handling and enjoy the quiet of the ride on 19's in the snow. Like a cone of silence.
Cheers.

Reactions: ev-now
I am running my rear wheel drive P85+ on performance winter tires for three seasons, and they do excellent job
I found the Sottozero IIs (245/45 on 19s) on a RWD S60 to be fine in fairly heavy snow recently (day after collecting 2015 CPO) - except for the snowpack in the arches, discussed elsewhere on here.

Totally agree you have to look at the real weather you will deal with - for me snow will be the exception, dry and cold in the am/pm, dry and warm in the middle of the day is 80% or more of winter in the Denver metro. Then there's some really good, powder dry snow, and the packed icy, slushy mess you get from strong sun on that. All very different and requiring very different characteristics.

Only common ground, an all season will not do well in almost any of it, compared to a dedicated performance winter as you say.

For real winter (permanent snow/ice) Nokians will not disappoint.

Current top choice for me is at from tirerack...

Michelin xice3
Lugano oe cap in graphite silver
Mounted balanced, etc, new tpms as well.

Shipped to my door (I'll install), just over 2,050 USD.
FYI, I was about to order that same package last week; however, the TPMS sensors are on intergalactic backorder, and not due in until mid Jan. When you go to your cart, everything looks fine (tires and wheels in stock, can ship immediately). Then you go to checkout, and the ship date is 1/16. I called Tire Rack and they confirmed they are out of stock on TPMS sensors.

I wound up buying a set of Hakka R2's locally (for less than I could find on the internet, pre-shipping) and brought them to the service center. I bought a set of 19" slipstreams and sensors and had the service center mount the tires and install the wheels on the car. That way I don't run into the "we won't install/rotate aftermarket wheels" issue, didn't have to wait 3 weeks, and didn't spend that much more ($269/tire + $300/wheel + $50 TPMS); $2476 vs $2050 - still less than the $2500 for the factory Sottozero package.

TGA,

My SC is refusing to install any tires or wheels not purchased directly thru tesla, which seems different from your experience. What you said makes it sound like they won't install aftermarket wheels, but did you did get them to install aftermarket tires - which my SC specifically said they wouldn't do either. Am I doing something wrong with my approach?

Thing is, I'm OK paying their premium for the comfort of them doing all the work so I don't have any "warranty issues", and I know they'll treat the car best doing the job and be responsible for any issues that come up with it. I just don't want to pay their premium for service in order to get tires that aren't even in the top 5 for what I'm buying them for.

Ideally, what I'd love to do right now is get a set of just tires rated in the top 3 list for winter snow/slush driving, bring them to the SC, have them install on my stock 19 rims, and drive home with my summers in the trunk, to be mounted on new rims next spring. Is that too much to ask?

Your info on the TPMS issue further complicates the matter. Hmph, now I'm not sure what to do with this.

We got 4" of snow last night, and while most of it turned to slush today, I'm sure it won't be fun come Monday, and at this point, I've got no likable plan to proceed with on this...

I love those Lugano. Man are those sweet

Ended up going with Michelin IceX on different rims from Discount Tire (because they swap the wheels for free each season). If I went with the Lu's I'd have to shell out $60 each swap.

You cannot go wrong with Hakka or Michelin Ice
I did over 50 hours of research and came to the conclusion "it depends"
It's kind of like the "red vs midnight silver" question that oft pops up.

For me Michelins were way cheaper so I went with them for my Lexus and my Infiniti and now my Model S

The winter tires wil make your car so much better it's unbelievable

Good luck

My SC is refusing to install any tires or wheels not purchased directly thru tesla, which seems different from your experience. What you said makes it sound like they won't install aftermarket wheels, but did you did get them to install aftermarket tires - which my SC specifically said they wouldn't do either. Am I doing something wrong with my approach?
When I couldn't get a tire/wheel set from Tire Rack, I decided to go to plan B. I called the service center and explained that I was taking delivery of a CPO P85+, and couldn't/wouldn't consider driving home to middle NH on summer performance tires (this was before I realized it would be delivered). I explained that I understood they offered a winter wheel and tire package, but, given the roads conditions we deal with up here, I much preferred a Nordic winter tire (ie, Hakka R2's) than the performance winter tire they offer. I asked if I could bring a set of Hakka R2's in, buy wheels and sensors, and have them mounted and installed, and bring the 21's home in the trunk. The rep hesitated, I pointed out that these tires were the approved standard tire sold by Tesla in Norway. He then put me on hold to ask the service manager, who OK'ed it.

I sort of consider this a one-shot deal, because I'm getting a car in winter that normally comes with summer tires. I would not expect to bring my own tires on a regular basis and have them installed. I would buy tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to a recommended installer, and bring in the car to them.

You could go to the SC, buy a set of wheels and TPMS and take them somewhere to have the tires mounted and installed, I suppose.