Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on next vehicle...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping to solicit some thoughts from the Tesla faithful on my next vehicle purchase...

I've been driving a MS 75 since 2016. It's only at 35k miles and paired up with the unlimited supercharging and MCU2 upgrade. (No cameras, just the computer), but struggling to fit the growing family. Both toddlers look squished in their car seats behind and I'm not helping (6'5) when pushing the driver's seat back for myself.
  • Choice A: Swap it out for a Model Y. I gain about 100 miles in range, go a bit quicker and add some newer tech, but really think I'd only be gaining 4-5 inches of legroom in the back for the effort.

• Choice B: Swap it out for a Model X. Some more range, a lot more space (probably keeping up as the kids grow) and can tow up the trailer. Honestly feels a lot better for our needs, although at twice the price.
What I'm not sure about about...
  • Quality: I've had the MS in the shop more times than I can count, but their service always made up for it. Back in '16, the service center in Fremont tore apart the entire dash just to resolve a slight rattle in the cabin. (Turned out to be a brake light activation switch). Headlights, taillights, windows, MCU - all had service within days of an issue. Today, it's almost six weeks to remedy a single part.

• Pricing: Cars have jumped up in price over the past year. Worth waiting to see if things settle down? Or is the relentless demand just proof that the market will accept the higher price point anyways?

• Trade-In: Tesla is offering $45k on the MS 75 - up from $38k last year. Better elsewhere?
Appreciative for any thoughts!

I was hoping to solicit some thoughts from the Tesla faithful on my next vehicle purchase...

I've been driving a MS 75 since 2016. It's only at 35k miles and paired up with the unlimited supercharging and MCU2 upgrade. (No cameras, just the computer), but struggling to fit the growing family. Both toddlers look squished in their car seats behind and I'm not helping (6'5) when pushing the driver's seat back for myself.
  • Choice A: Swap it out for a Model Y. I gain about 100 miles in range, go a bit quicker and add some newer tech, but really think I'd only be gaining 4-5 inches of legroom in the back for the effort.

• Choice B: Swap it out for a Model X. Some more range, a lot more space (probably keeping up as the kids grow) and can tow up the trailer. Honestly feels a lot better for our needs, although at twice the price.
What I'm not sure about about...
  • Quality: I've had the MS in the shop more times than I can count, but their service always made up for it. Back in '16, the service center in Fremont tore apart the entire dash just to resolve a slight rattle in the cabin. (Turned out to be a brake light activation switch). Headlights, taillights, windows, MCU - all had service within days of an issue. Today, it's almost six weeks to remedy a single part.

• Pricing: Cars have jumped up in price over the past year. Worth waiting to see if things settle down? Or is the relentless demand just proof that the market will accept the higher price point anyways?

• Trade-In: Tesla is offering $45k on the MS 75 - up from $38k last year. Better elsewhere?
Appreciative for any thoughts!
I would go Y before X. The X is slightly more spacious but you're trading one low volume car with issues for another one in the X. Get a test drive so you can test the difference. The Y is pretty roomy inside and the hatch space is great and not dealing with falcon doors, win.

I'm 6'2" and find the MY to be very roomy and comfortable. If your kids are just toddlers, they will be fine until they approach teen years, and by then you'll likely be in a new vehicle anyway. I have a 13 y/o daughter that seems to be satisfied with MY rear room (she'd complain if that weren't the case LOL).

I recommend quotes from carvana and vroom, etc as they will likely offer more than Tesla.

I find the Y to have a ton of leg room. One thing to consider is that the front seats are on risers so not only does it have 5" more legroom from the back of the seat, but the passengers can also stretch their legs under the front seats.

I'd recommend taking them to a service center and try it out or find some friendly person in your area to let you sit in theirs. My local Facebook group would have no shortage of volunteers to let you see their cars.

To me this choice is more about what you can comfortably afford, since the price difference between the two vehicles is so great. If you can buy a Model X with no issues, I don't know why you'd get the Model Y instead. Well, unless you just despise the yoke.

Ordered this to replace my Audi Q7, hopefully I will get it before 2025.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.34.22 AM.png

To me this choice is more about what you can comfortably afford, since the price difference between the two vehicles is so great. If you can buy a Model X with no issues, I don't know why you'd get the Model Y instead. Well, unless you just despise the yoke.
Just cuz I can afford a Model X, that doesn't mean I want one or its some defacto standard. I'll be frank I wouldn't want an X. Plenty of fam around me have one to be fair so I know. And again these are very different cars, one is the height of high volume production and efficiency while the other is low volume older production methodology.

Just cuz I can afford a Model X, that doesn't mean I want one or its some defacto standard. I'll be frank I wouldn't want an X. Plenty of fam around me have one to be fair so I know. And again these are very different cars, one is the height of high volume production and efficiency while the other is low volume older production methodology.
Perhaps that's the case for many people. I've never been in a Model X (legacy or refreshed) so I can't comment from experience. But based on the OP's post, I do think the Model X is a better fit so I think for the OP it's a matter of being able to afford it comfortably.

I have a MY now and considered a legacy X and actually had one as a service loaner. The cars are targeted to 2 different segments. The Y is sportier and rides harsher than the X. I have not driven the new X but if they improved the feeling of the car, I would go X no question now. I have a CT on order but will probably need a car between the Y and CT as I leased the Y with hope the CT would have been in production already.

I have a friend with a 2015 MS 85D. His sister has a 2016 MX so he's driven both a bit.

I went to visit him a few months ago, he drove my 21 MYLR and said he'd probably get one when he was done with his MS. Really depends on the person and their needs. The X is a foot longer than a MY, it's an actual SUV where the MY is a CUV

Reactions: thesmokingman
I am trading in my Model S for a Y any day now (as soon as rail yard delays clear up they say). I only did a short test drive in a friends Y so I can post back soon with a more personal space comparison. I had a Model X loaner a few years ago and my overall impression was “meh”. My kids were 13 and 6 when I got my S, so never had more than one booster seat in the back. The 13 yr old is now 22, 6’5” and 200 lbs. When he hit 16-17 years old, for the longer road trips, he’d get the front seat and wife rode in back seat. We also squeeze a dog in there too. I’ve never felt like the S wasn’t big enough for our crew. In you shoes and if not planning to add more rug rats, I wouldn’t feel the need to get a bigger car.

The maintenance frequency on my S has decreased over the years, I’m at 128k miles now. It would have to go in for work once or twice per year (drive unit, a/c work, center screen replacement) for the first 5 years but, like you, it was always efficient and hassle free. The last couple of times I’ve had mobile service where a regular guy, Tom, comes to house and does the work. The car is out of warranty now and I’m worried about need for expensive work coming up, so with that and a couple other reasons, decided on a new Y.

At any rate, in your shoes, I’d hang onto the S for longer. I’m going to miss the free, but not the slow, supercharging and free data. I got better price offer from Vroom I believe, but decided to stick with a Tesla trade in for simplicity. My Tesla offer was better now than in May when I was originally supposed to get the Y.