Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on no battery badge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what a M3 means on the BMW, but I know what it is.

I don't really care what badges mean to others. They had better learn then.

A badge of Model S or Model X doesn't mean much at all to a lot of "non" tesla ICE drivers.

True that, but at least kWh are the same worldover... IMO kWh makes more sense than miles range in that regard.

But yeah, I guess it could be argued engine displacement is used quite regularly in badging, yet using units not used globally. So there is that precedent supporting your idea.

LOL, the entire world, except the U.S., Liberia and Myanmar use the SI system... soooo they should bend to our will?? All scientists, most manufacturers and all the US automakers switched to SI years ago. If anything we should adopt kilometers and drop the miles. Time to give up the old British Imperial system, where 1 mile is equal to 10 furlongs, which equals 80 chains... whatever the heck those are.

Miles = .62 km
km = 1.61 miles

If that is confusing, just run a 10K to clear your head :)
I don't know if anyone has ever heard, but the US is the greatest country in the world. People need to mimic or adopt the standards of the greatest country....not the other way around.

When you think about it, is it really necessary to advertise the size of your "fuel" tank? Maybe I should put a "12.1" on the back of my Prius.

Good point! The only hooker is that the size of the "fuel tank" also indicates something about the motor size and/or performance.
In any case, it seems to me that, for the most part, only certain European car marques tend to use this type of badging. With some exceptions, don't most American cars look the same regardless of engine size? Cars could have a 4 cylinder engine, a 6 or an 8, and most don't say so on the outside. (Or have I missed something?) Some do, i know.

True that, but at least kWh are the same worldover... IMO kWh makes more sense than miles range in that regard.

But yeah, I guess it could be argued engine displacement is used quite regularly in badging, yet using units not used globally. So there is that precedent supporting your idea.
Ok fine - lets put 354.056 and 498.897 on the back instead of 220 and 310 for all of the km loving folks.

The thing about kWh is that it is both the size of the fuel tank and the primary source/factor in the performance of the car (as well as a main component in its price). So it kind of makes a lot of sense in that regard.

As for badging trends in general, I'd say the downsizing of petrol engines has resulted in less and less engine displacement badging as well as more abstract model numbers. Removing size-based badging altogether would not be unheard of.

Reactions: sigmo32 and Alset72
The thing about kWh is that it is both the size of the fuel tank and the primary source/factor in the performance of the car (as well as a main component in its price). So it kind of makes a lot of sense in that regard.

As for badging trends in general, I'd say the downsizing of petrol engines has resulted in less and less engine displacement badging as well as more abstract model numbers. Removing size-based badging altogether would not be unheard of.
How bout that AnxietyRanger. lets put 354.056 or 498.897 on the back.

Most Americans and developed countries will know exactly what that means. lol

Ok fine - lets put 354.056 and 498.897 on the back instead of 220 and 310 for all of the km loving folks.

I thought I was being quite considerate and willing to think about your idea, even offering precedent that supports your idea - how euromanufacturers use globally engine displacement litres in badging, while others may use cc globally in badging. I don't see why the need for ridicule. That precedent supports your idea of global badging using a regionally used unit.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Tesla have several model numbers of the same car for different markets. Just pondering out loud various badging ideas...

Reactions: Ciaopec
I thought I was being quite considerate and willing to think about your idea, even offering precedent that supports your idea - how euromanufacturers use globally engine displacement litres in badging, while others may use cc globally in badging. I don't see why the need for ridicule.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Tesla have several model numbers of the same car for different markets. Just pondering out loud various badging ideas...
Oh no......I'm saying all of this with extreme sarcasm and humor.

I have to do something to brighten up my disappointments of last nights reveal or non reveal. lol

Sorry for being curt, however......

I'm tired of everything being listed as kilo's and centi's in the US. I think its time for those in other countries to experience miles. Tesla is a US based company.

310 in the US should mean 310 every where else.

I'm just going to point out that the metric system makes a whole lot more sense than the Imperial system. I'm used to miles myself, but the metric system is far easier to use. Off hand, I can't remember how many feet are in a mile. I know there are a 1000 meters in a kilometer.

I have no problem with the humor part. I guess I was just trying to seriously ponder this and didn't understand it.
Seriously though. I like the "no badge" idea.

One thing I think it will do is at least stir up some conversation at the SC"s for anyone taking their Model 3 there.

Speaking of SC's for the Model 3......did Elon say anything about the Model 3's kWh charging price? <---- that was sarcastic as I know he didn't mention anything at all about it.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I'm just going to point out that the metric system makes a whole lot more sense than the Imperial system. I'm used to miles myself, but the metric system is far easier to use. Off hand, I can't remember how many feet are in a mile. I know there are a 1000 meters in a kilometer.
Well Tesla should change their batteries range because 354.056 (220 miles) or 498.897 (310 miles) kilometers per charge are just too many numbers. <----- That's a funny I just made there.

Spaceships don't have badges.

No but they do have patches.

SpaceX_CRS-11_Patch.png