Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on no battery badge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since all the early production Model 3's will have exactly the same battery, there is no reason to differentiate them until another variation goes into production.

Just one less item for Tesla to worry about getting these first Model 3's out the door.

When Mazda sold their initial rotary engined RX-7 they also had no need to list the capacity of the motor, since they were also all the same.
Ford Model T had no motor designation...

Tesla may want the ability to add or subtract cells in the future without telling the buyer. They can be cautious early on with a new cell but later reduce the numbers of cells when experienced is gained with the new chemistry or construction.

I think kWh ratings are probably done for good. This will de-stress the battery engineers.

Tesla may want the ability to add or subtract cells in the future without telling the buyer. They can be cautious early on with a new cell but later reduce the numbers of cells when experienced is gained with the new chemistry or construction.

I think kWh ratings are probably done for good. This will de-stress the battery engineers.

Indeed. Both changes to the 75 kWh battery suggest this: the removal of cells reported by @wk057 as well as the 85 kWh batteries shipping as 75 kWh... removing the big kWh label might help Tesla like removing the HP number...

Sorry for being curt, however......

I'm tired of everything being listed as kilo's and centi's in the US. I think its time for those in other countries to experience miles. Tesla is a US based company.

310 in the US should mean 310 every where else.
In 1866, Congress authorized the use of the metric system in this country.

In 1875, the US was committed to the development of the internationally recognized metric system so becoming one of the original seventeen signatory nations to the Treaty of the Meter.

I like the no badging - the Model 3 is certainly emphasizing simplicity, and removing the kWh badge is part of that. I would be okay with a "Model 3" badge just so others know what it is (I want people who see the car and like it to know what to search for on the internet). But maybe having 'Model 3' on one side would look too imbalanced.

But ultimately, the kWh badge is useless. I mean, how many Mercedes or BMW owners know that their model refers to their engine's displacement in deciliters? And what does it matter?

And if you want to brag about having say, the 75 kWh over 55 (or whatever), the no badging is doing us all a favor as early adopters are going to have smaller batteries than the Model 3's that come out next.

Well for those who would really like a "S" but cannot afford just badge the car with "M3S". S for standard battery:) And for those with the long ranger battery here is the chance to use "E" which Elon tried to use initially for the car. It stands for extended range so "M3E"

On second thought I see no reason for any extra badging!

I'm OK with no battery badging, as long as they also avoid badges for the Extended Range and Dual Motor versions, or the Performance version later on down the line.

I don't need to be driving an ED or a PED...

My thoughts on badging:

SR or LR (Short Range or Long Range)

Variations:

P-SRD, P-LRD, etc...

I like the current system, but I can understand why they may want to opt out of numerical badging. Current designation gives them flexibility for the future. E.G--current SR = 220 miles, LR = 310, but who knows. Maybe in 5 years SR = 300, LR = 400.